Non-im 0, Marriage

My wife and I were married in the US earlier this month. We've now had the marriage certificate stamped by the US Embassy, translated and the translation certified by the Ministry or Foreign Affairs. I plan to go to Penang in two weeks to obtain a multi-entry Non-Immigrant 0 visa. I understand that the only other thing I should need is a copy of her ID card.

Does this mean that we don't necessarily need to register the marriage at the ampur before I head to Penang?

While we're keen on marriage, we're not so keen on the administrative restrictions placed upon her personal business/financial choices that will require my signature, legal name change to Mrs, etc. I've come to learn that many couples here do not register their marriages for similar reasons.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It sounds as if you may have half truth information.

1. Visa is most likely going to require marriage certificate (copy) and copy of wife ID card or passport so take that translation along with you.

2. There should not be any need to register at any amphur - your US marriage is fully legal, and your translation/registering it at MFA makes it legal anywhere.

3. Restrictions? She should continue to be a "Miss"? She can even keep her family name if she so desires. This happens to be a joint property type system in marriage and not unlike many other places.

1.  Visa is most likely going to require marriage certificate (copy) and copy of wife ID card or passport so take that translation along with you.

2.  There should not be any need to register at any amphur - your US marriage is fully legal, and your translation/registering it at MFA makes it legal anywhere.

3.  Restrictions?  She should continue to be a "Miss"?  She can even keep her family name if she so desires.  This happens to be a joint property type system in marriage and not unlike many other places.

Thanks lopburi3,

Well, glad I'm at least headed in the right direction with half a truth from the beginning. Will get copies of her passport as well and hope all works out fine in Penang.

Hey, one future related question. The one-year extension requirement of 400K. I keep seeing the words "for support of Thai wife", which I understand the logic of and have no problem with. But what if the Thai wife makes well above this on her own and obviously does not "need my" economic contributions. Do we still make the extension application under this "support of Thai wife" provision?

Thanks again.

The husband supports the wife. That is, the way, it is, if you want an extension of stay without other reasons. So, yes, you still make application for supporting your wife as a reason to extend your stay in Thailand.

1.  Visa is most likely going to require marriage certificate (copy) and copy of wife ID card or passport so take that translation along with you.

2.  There should not be any need to register at any amphur - your US marriage is fully legal, and your translation/registering it at MFA makes it legal anywhere.

3.  Restrictions?  She should continue to be a "Miss"?  She can even keep her family name if she so desires.  This happens to be a joint property type system in marriage and not unlike many other places.

Thanks lopburi3,

Well, glad I'm at least headed in the right direction with half a truth from the beginning. Will get copies of her passport as well and hope all works out fine in Penang.

Hey, one future related question. The one-year extension requirement of 400K. I keep seeing the words "for support of Thai wife", which I understand the logic of and have no problem with. But what if the Thai wife makes well above this on her own and obviously does not "need my" economic contributions. Do we still make the extension application under this "support of Thai wife" provision?

Thanks again.

It is a Thai cultural thing. Without that 400,000 baht on a bank in Thailand,there'll be no extensions for you.