Economic Balance For Retirement Extension

Hello...

I have been reading in this forum that the immigration now required 1.6 million THB as economic balance.

I wonder if there is new rules, I have been using a combination of pension and bank account, more than 800.000 THB per year and will renew my extension in a few months.

I would be glad to know if there is new rules or if its still the same requirements for retirement extension.

Bengt!!

It has always been the rule - a joint account is only considered to be half the account balance (if two people) so if accepted would require double the required amount and currently is often not accepted at all. For marriage this was ignored for the most part but currently may also be enforced there.

Thanks for the reply.

My marriage Visa extension has always been accepted on a Joint Account at the single figure not double.

That is not policy, so you can be confronted with a sudden demand that you have the money in an account in your name only. Better safe than sorry.

But is it written in the Immigration Rules? Are you able to provide a link to these rules?

We are obliged to comply with their Rules which should be consistent at every Immigration Office.

Recently there have been some reports of alleged New Rules which appear not to exist?

Is Thai Visa able to clarify perhaps?

But is it written in the Immigration Rules? Are you able to provide a link to these rules?

We are obliged to comply with their Rules which should be consistent at every Immigration Office.

Recently there have been some reports of alleged New Rules which appear not to exist?

This is in the pinned topics section at the top of this forum page, along with a lot of other useful information. Take a look at section 2.22 for "Extensions of Stay" based on retirement.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

Edited by beechguy

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

It currently says the money must be yours. For a short period this was not required. The old method was to check for foreign transfers. Now they may ask the account be in your name only. The policy is subject to change more often than the formal rules.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

This would suggest a single account and not joint.

With a joint account it would not be The Husbands money.

The reason we have a Joint Account is quite simple.

If I have an emergency and very costly ICU Hospital treatment which occurred a few years ago, my wife will have quick access to the money to pay the Bills. It is rather difficult to do this when you are in ICU for two weeks and wired up to all sorts of hospital equipment :rolleyes:

And of course when I die which will happen sure as eggs are eggs, she needs access to the funds for the same reason.

But of course one must have an honest wife like myself.