The Most People You'Ve Ridden With On A Motorbike ?

bermondburi

It appears that you're quite comfortable with the "foreigners who know better" one.

Fascinating - It seems there are two types of expat here.

1. The enthusiastic ones who respect the Thais, their freedom, their sense of fun and - yes the dangers of their way of life and take the opportunity to indulge in it.

2. The disapproving ones with a neo-colonial contempt for the Thais, implying that they have a lower intelligence quota and would prefer a sterile life-style barricaded by a desire for safety and security above all else - if only they had the chance.

In other words those who have a life and those who may not have one but do have life assurance.

I think things could change here.. but i don't disprove of the Thais doing stupid things out of lack of means. You cant expect poor people to uphold the same safety standards when there is no money for it. I do however think that foreigners who know better should not copy stupid things.

I have a fine life here.. enjoy it a lot and i don't have life insurance. So find an other group to put me in.

It appears that you're quite comfortable with the "foreigners who know better" one.

1. The enthusiastic ones who respect the Thais, their freedom, their sense of fun and - yes the dangers of their way of life and take the opportunity to indulge in it.

2. The disapproving ones with a neo-colonial contempt for the Thais, implying that they have a lower intelligence quota and would prefer a sterile life-style barricaded by a desire for safety and security above all else - if only they had the chance.

In other words those who have a life and those who may not have one but do have life assurance.

I think things could change here.. but i don't disprove of the Thais doing stupid things out of lack of means. You cant expect poor people to uphold the same safety standards when there is no money for it. I do however think that foreigners who know better should not copy stupid things.

I have a fine life here.. enjoy it a lot and i don't have life insurance. So find an other group to put me in.

Yes of course we know better safety wise... some Thais might even know that what they are doing is dangerous but have no other alternative. There are also plenty of dumb Thais doing crazy things. When i asked my gf about 5 people on a motorbike she said it was dangerous and crazy. Just quizzed a few other Thais that a i know about this too and most of them also agree its dangerous.

But if you think Thai education is on par with Western education your sadly mistaken.

Four 10 - 12 year olds on a 175 Enduro on the farm . . . . I miss those days.

And even more stupid. . . . 3 of us on a ZXR750 . . . about 180km/h on the freeway, drunk as hel_l from the club back to the college res (two of us no helmets!). Looking back now that was really stupid! huh.gif

Four 10 - 12 year olds on a 175 Enduro on the farm . . . . I miss those days.

And even more stupid. . . . 3 of us on a ZXR750 . . . about 180km/h on the freeway, drunk as hel_l from the club back to the college res (two of us no helmets!). Looking back now that was really stupid! huh.gif

At least you see that its stupid.. Everyone done stupid things thing is you learn from them and you acknowledge that they are stupid.

Yes of course we know better safety wise... some Thais might even know that what they are doing is dangerous but have no other alternative. There are also plenty of dumb Thais doing crazy things. When i asked my gf about 5 people on a motorbike she said it was dangerous and crazy. Just quizzed a few other Thais that a i know about this too and most of them also agree its dangerous.

But if you think Thai education is on par with Western education your sadly mistaken.

Just losing track a little here .. Looks like its all getting a bit " I'm more sensible than you"... "He told me this and she said that".. My god isn't this the country we all ran away to coz it was so cool to be who you wanted and do what you liked (within reason) without anyone breathing down your neck or criticizing you for it!!! That's the Thailand I came to live in..... or did we come here to right all their wrongs (God bless us...Amen and all that!!) and tell them that WE know better!! Tell you what tho... whatever you g/f said about 5 on a bike I bet she didn't cast any criticism or wag any fingers, coz she's probably Thai and Buddhist... You know ..... "Up to them" or " Mai Phen Rai" and all that.. Thats the spirit!!!! T.I.T let's not spoil it!!

Just losing track a little here .. Looks like its all getting a bit " I'm more sensible than you"... "He told me this and she said that".. My god isn't this the country we all ran away to coz it was so cool to be who you wanted and do what you liked (within reason) without anyone breathing down your neck or criticizing you for it!!! That's the Thailand I came to live in..... or did we come here to right all their wrongs (God bless us...Amen and all that!!) and tell them that WE know better!! Tell you what tho... whatever you g/f said about 5 on a bike I bet she didn't cast any criticism or wag any fingers, coz she's probably Thai and Buddhist... You know ..... "Up to them" or " Mai Phen Rai" and all that.. Thats the spirit!!!! T.I.T let's not spoil it!!

You or your computer lost track a lot :D

To be honest you cant stop change and change isnt always good. But in this case its good to change. I would not care less if you did stupid things that endanger you. But the moment you do things that endanger me or others i draw the line. I wonder if you are still so Mai pen rai if someone runs over your wife while being drunk. Riding without a helmet.. do it i wont care.. no seat belts.. no problem.... no vaccination.. up to you. No health insurance.. up to you. Those things i could not care less about.

Am i crusading to change the Thais.. no i am not. Am i saying an idiot farang should know better.. yes that is what I am doing. You might be one of those guys who likes to drink and drive (or maybe not) but its still against the law here and they are starting to enforce it. Nothing ever stays the same.

Actually as someone who is used to riding big bikes and often break the speed limits; I enjoy riding around with no helmet. Yea I know its dangerous but even an open faced helmet is too claustrophobic for me.

Although ATGATT is too much in Thailand.

I really don't care much if people use helmets.. its their life. I choose to use it (unless inside the village). Breaking the speed limit... if done safely.. can live with that too.. if done crazy i cant. Kinda depends on the situation. I have broken the speed limit in Holland. I have broken it in Thailand (not by much i think but it was on my bike got it up to 140-150 and decided that that was fast enough even on a long straight road (one of those where no cars can come up unexpectedly separated from other roads who go the same way with parts connecting it at times). In the car i have been up to 120-130 but thats it. But that is more me not wanting to go to fast or the road not allowing it. In Holland on those roads i have no problem with it.

I had a crash this week, I started a thread about it. I wasn't doing anything wrong, driving a safe speed all by myself, not distracted. Then boom there's a lady running out into the street looking the other way.

A split second later I am sliding down the asphalt with cars coming from both directions.

This accident turned out to be fairly minor, I was injured but I could walk, same with the lady. But if had kids on board it would have been horrible. My youngest two aren't allowed on bikes, that's why I got a car. I can only imagine the OP just hasn't grown up yet. He reminds me of myself when I was in high school/college, lucky to be alive.

Edited by canuckamuck

It,s the "it will never happen to me mentality". No disrespect but Thai's would be the last people I,d take my moral judgement from.I was put in a position once were I had no choice but to take

my G/F and her daughter on the bike,but I will never do it again.I could not cope with the responsibility if an accident occurred.

It's been quite interesting listening to all these different replies. Firstly; many thanks to the guy who sent in the picture. When I made the original post that was the kind of thing that I wanted too see. Not some serious argument about the rights and wrongs of what I may or may not have done.

The general idea seems to be that I am an idiot. One guy said that it was okay for Thai people to drive with kids on the bike if they were poor and if it was necessary to get somewhere. But the fact is that not all Thai people with children on bikes are poor so I guess in his eyes then they are all idiots too. I think for a lot of people it is more a case of convenience.

The argument that because I'm a foreigner and presumably should know better and have more means financially is stupid. How can you know what my financial situation is and to then say that if you are a pauper you should go home, that is even more stupid. Money goes a lot further here than other places. Anyway my financial situation is okay so don't worry about that.

I'll admit that five on a bike is not something I aim to do all the time whatever people may think. In any case it would be a bit difficult now because the children are getting too big! But I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that we recently bought another bike because of this so that if we went somewhere my wife would take one child and I could take another. I take my son to school and back every day on the bike and personally I am fine with it. Motorbikes are dangerous, I realise that, but many things in this country are. I guess that peoples' argument is that I am needlessly endangering my children. Well that is my responsibility, one poster said that he couldn't live with that responsibility. I can.

It's not just Thais either, I know many foreigners around where I live who would also have their child on a bike. Maybe it is a Nonthaburi thing.

On a final note my eldest son first went on the bike when he was two weeks old. We lived out in the sticks at the time in the middle of nowhere , the nearest clinic was a good ten kilometres away and we did have to get him to see a doctor quickly a few times. In this instance what can you do if you don't have a car. The same now with my son's school, it is not very easy to get to by public transport so without a car the bike is the only option.

Thanks for your concern for my children

May buddha be with you !

The general idea seems to be that I am an idiot. One guy said that it was okay for Thai people to drive with kids on the bike if they were poor and if it was necessary to get somewhere. But the fact is that not all Thai people with children on bikes are poor so I guess in his eyes then they are all idiots too. I think for a lot of people it is more a case of convenience.

Yes if its not a money or education thing i think they are then also idiots. I just pointed to some mitigating circumstances. You cant hold poor people responsible for not being able to afford it otherwise. But people who have the means to do, and the education and brains to know better are in my eyes idiots.

The argument that because I'm a foreigner and presumably should know better and have more means financially is stupid. How can you know what my financial situation is and to then say that if you are a pauper you should go home, that is even more stupid. Money goes a lot further here than other places. Anyway my financial situation is okay so don't worry about that.

That you should know better is a good argument. That you should be able to pay a taxi or a bus too. They are not that expensive if you cant even pay that then your a pauper and go home. I never stated it would have to be a car because they are expensive here. Good to know you have good finances.

I'll admit that five on a bike is not something I aim to do all the time whatever people may think. In any case it would be a bit difficult now because the children are getting too big! But I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that we recently bought another bike because of this so that if we went somewhere my wife would take one child and I could take another. I take my son to school and back every day on the bike and personally I am fine with it. Motorbikes are dangerous, I realise that, but many things in this country are. I guess that peoples' argument is that I am needlessly endangering my children. Well that is my responsibility, one poster said that he couldn't live with that responsibility. I can.

Good that you finally realized then then the preaching did help or you knew it all along but did not like to admit it. Bikes are dangerous but i drive them, and a child on a bike (with helmet) would be ok. Some can argue its crazy let them. Your kids are indeed your responsibility and its all about how much risk you take.

I have lived here 5 years now a lil down the road from the carefour at Big King and i haven't seen it. Doesn't mean its not true (talking about the foreigner thing).

Note this post is of a whole different tone then your other ones. Much more reasonable then you get better replies too.

Yes if its not a money or education thing i think they are then also idiots. I just pointed to some mitigating circumstances. You cant hold poor people responsible for not being able to afford it otherwise. But people who have the means to do, and the education and brains to know better are in my eyes idiots.

That you should know better is a good argument. That you should be able to pay a taxi or a bus too. They are not that expensive if you cant even pay that then your a pauper and go home. I never stated it would have to be a car because they are expensive here. Good to know you have good finances.

Good that you finally realized then then the preaching did help or you knew it all along but did not like to admit it. Bikes are dangerous but i drive them, and a child on a bike (with helmet) would be ok. Some can argue its crazy let them. Your kids are indeed your responsibility and its all about how much risk you take.

I have lived here 5 years now a lil down the road from the carefour at Big King and i haven't seen it. Doesn't mean its not true (talking about the foreigner thing).

Note this post is of a whole different tone then your other ones. Much more reasonable then you get better replies too.

Hey, we practically live next door to each other. Look out for a foreigner with a kid outside the shop that sells drinks and stuff at the front of Big King where they sell the clothes and stuff. I always stop there when my wife does the shopping. I bear no grudges.

P.S. Do you ever stop. You're like a machine.

Hey, we practically live next door to each other. Look out for a foreigner with a kid outside the shop that sells drinks and stuff at the front of Big King where they sell the clothes and stuff. I always stop there when my wife does the shopping. I bear no grudges.

P.S. Do you ever stop. You're like a machine.

They call me dedicated wish i was like that always with training too :D But i work behind a computer to make my money and once in a while i scan TV for interesting posts. I never bear grudges if i happen to get killed my wife has instructions to send the BIB to look for a farang with 5 on a motorbike :D

I don't go to often to the care four, say once every 5 days for shopping. I then try to do it as fast and easy as i can.