Emergency Declared In Thailand

george

"Who is benefitting from the current status"....... :o

The golden question!!!!!

I've been thinking of the same thing all this while...

The government is not gaining...the general public - muslim and non-muslim alike - is not benefitting...how about the authorities? The bandit? The crooks?

Hmmm......

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Who is benefitting from the current status"....... :o

The golden question!!!!!

I've been thinking of the same thing all this while...

The government is not gaining...the general public - muslim and non-muslim alike - is not benefitting...how about the authorities? The bandit? The crooks?

Hmmm......

How about certain individuals in uniform......? :D

There are many things which I think Thaksin and his government have done which I believe to be stupid....but on this occasion when the country is fighting terrorists then extraordinary and unusual powers will always be necessary for the government to try to control the situation and root out the terrorists.

The Uk government are planning to bring in new laws to do just that as a result of the London bombings.

The world is changing rapidly, and terrorists are attacking their own countrymen, brainwashed by a warped sense of justice and honour delivered to them through the media of teachings given by fanatics who wish to create chaos and feel that the whole world belongs to them.

No-one likes to have their liberty restricted, but if stopping the insurgents and these continued attacks and thus protecting ordinary law abiding people is the reason for the new laws then so be it.

Funny how only a few people in the world think this way, We are being attacked worldwide by people that want to change the world by making people live in fear. Once that is done then We will have no laws or order in the world.

Funny how they say america is the police man of the world, Funny how when some countries are in trouble who is the first to be called :D I'm not going to list the countries throughout our past history. We need to eliminate all muslim's from moving anywhere in the world, because in my opinion none of them can be trusted. :o

Wow Thaksin is from chinese background... chinese are communist... is he really trying to start communist Thailand.

yOU DONT THINK IT IS ALREADY ? Might as well be , its pretty close i would imagine only speculation never lived in a communist country. I cant believe this guy is chinese and runs Thailand , how did he get to buy land and everything else .

Let's state and announce it again, this is not a crusade (what ever Bush says).

The problem is not about religion/s.

We can look back to history and see during 400 years at least, continuous and expanding supression of the muslim regions in Thailand. I would like to see southern states having more autonomy, yes. This is completely another matter though.

I say this is not independece fight. This is terrorists, who happen to be muslims, and in mood for jihad. Escalating situation in the world wide scope. And can be on my opinion blamed mainly of G.W.Bush jr. policies and actions as a world police. Few words from him can make world go crazy. Most blame to him. Sure there is and has been illegal activitives happening on thai/malay border always. So what. Has very little to do with this.

The solution? Cannot give you any answers directly. This is mainly about the worlds happenings. Afghanistan, Iraq, what next. This inspires extremists (in this case muslims) around the world. There have been active, extremists groups for decades, now it is their prime time.

Negotiation is very difficult. We are living a new era. I don't think in Thailand there is much to negotiate about. Still I stress that as THE BEST OPTION. But this is not freedom fighters. Most local southern muslims are completely not supporting them.

Arrest the hardline religious teachers would be the best alternative. Hope this would be the end of this crisis.

Old era. Muslim states as super power of the world in early middle ages when The whole Europe was in, how should I put it, in very undeveloped state (barbarians). Muslim states of Persians and Ottomans were the world super power. (I disregard China as it's not really relevant). After European Renessance these powers fell, cos they didn't observe European happenings/rapid developement in anyway... That's a historical reason for lot of hatred. But ofcourse justifies it non what so ever... What I'm saying it's a global problem. Dilemma. I have no solutions for...

I can say that violence creates violence. When will the world leaders get smarter than that. Maybe it's all about face after all, globaly too?

Hoping for the best. Does the leaders listen some humanistis/sociolocist guys trying to explaing them what's going on? I think very few. And I see even less..

Cheers :o

Wow Thaksin is from chinese background... chinese are communist... is he really trying to start communist Thailand.

yOU DONT THINK IT IS ALREADY ? Might as well be , its pretty close i would imagine only speculation never lived in a communist country. I cant believe this guy is chinese and runs Thailand , how did he get to buy land and everything else .

ALL CHINESE ARE NOT COMMUNISTS. How can some one say that? Go to visit Mae Salong or maybe some other northern town build by chinese. Or Taiwan. Hong Kong....Or just talk with some exchange students from China in Bangkok.

Yes Thaksin is chinese ehthnicity (100% I have learned?). Laws were different 100 years ago..

As I had expected, there are a lot of messages from racist/right-winger types who say 'Let's destroy all these Muslims' and also from folks who like to attack Thaksin at every opportunity they find.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jem-Jem, Please point me to where somebody said "lets destroy all these Muslims" I must have missed that posting. Or do you mean that most realistic thinking people want to see the perpetrators of the murders bought to justice,which is how I read them.

We need to eliminate all muslim's from moving  anywhere in the world,  because in my opinion  none of them  can be  trusted.   :o

And btw Ozzydom, if you are going to continue to be a wiseguy, fine, your choice, but please spare me the crap that one automatically have to submit a solution to a problem just because one doesn't like Your solution. If anyone posts anything that isn't right I will object. But if you rather have uneducated people posting garbage about stuff they clearly have no or little knowledge about, then just outright tell us so, and I can stop posting _facts_.

If I wanted fiction I would listen to the politicians...

Edited by Zarkow

SORRY WAY OFF THE TOPIC

On a very pessimistic point all humanrace is doomed for devastation and destruction.

So is all pragmatism only about who survives the last???

I don't need a state nor a city. Just a small place, like a tropical island where we can live and enjoy our lifes together. In peace.

Is that too much to ask?

Edited by sonnyJ

>>Have YOU ever read the Quran?

Before you ask: yes, I have read it, back to back, several times. Infact I have written a thiessis (*sp*) on it which recieved highest grade some years back.

Zarkow, I am sure you gradated with honors from the Madrasse. How are the

flight training courses going?

ALLAH AQBAR!

Edited by Nam Kao

Just for the record, here are the solutions to Southern unrest proposed by the author of the excellent analysis at http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/si/2005/Feb/croissantfeb05.asp :

What are the prospects for peaceful conflict solution in southern Thailand, how can the government counter the new wave of insurgency and what are the consequences for Thai politics? In the short-term, the overall assessment is pessimistic. In view of the present downward spiral of violence and counter-violence, more unrest must be expected in the near future. The long-term solution to the problem of Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand, however, is to develop a new counterinsurgency strategy that combines short-term measures focusing on stabilizing the security situation with a long-term approach that redresses the political, cultural, and economic root causes of the problem is needed. Such a strategy must start with a broad recognition in government of the need to address Muslim disaffection from which both radical Islam tendencies and separatism have been drawing strength. A smart counterinsurgency strategy should account for, inter alia, the following considerations:[54]

First, the RTP (Royal Thai Police) should be used as the weapon of the first resort against terrorism and the army only as the weapon of last resort. In view of the deeply flawed police system and RTP’s involvement in human rights abuses, before the police can fulfill this function, improvement in the training of the police for counter-terrorism and drafting and implementing a code of conduct are necessary.

Second, improving cooperation between police and military and revamp the local intelligence apparatus must be given high priority.

Third, martial law should be lifted. Martial law gives the military too much power and caused several problems since it was implemented earlier this year. In view of the danger of further alienation between Buddhist and Muslim communities in the south, the existing Self Defensive Volunteer Units in the south which recruit particularly among Buddhist villagers should be dissolved. Whether these militias contribute in any meaningful sense to security in the south is arguable. Rather they may deepen the problem of small-arms trade in the region and increase the risk of ‘privatized’ counter-violence.

Fourth, cooperation between Thailand and neighboring governments, especially with Malaysia, on issues of border security, border provinces development and religion must be improved. Although the past couple of months have brought some progress,[55] the weakness of intra-Southeast Asian security cooperation is, historically speaking, a characteristic feature of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. While Thailand’s current challenge of dealing with ethno-religious militancy means that this is an area for cooperation with other countries in the region facing similar problems, the prospects for any significant improvements are rather uncertain.

Fifth, overhauling the education system in the south and reforming religion schools to stop attempts at a radicalization of the local Muslim culture and religious practices through religion schools funded by Islamist foundations is necessary for cutting down the ideological and personal support for radical Islamist insurgency and, thus, is another top priority.

Sixth, bringing economic development to the south is another crucial element of the package of measures for conflict solution. In view of the structural problems of economic development in the south, any short-term actions may have some symbolic effect on the Thai population but will not improve the economic conditions in the south. In the long-term, improving social and economic conditions in the south is crucial to dry up the local potential for violent insurgency.

Seventh, "a commitment to human rights needs to be at the forefront of any country’s counter-terrorist strategy."[56] Any further worsening of the human rights situation in the south which would only serve to deepening support for the insurgents’ cause must be prevented. The current Prime Minister, however, prefers even tougher new security laws to thwart Islamic separatists.[57] Establishing a Truth commission with representatives from among the local Muslim communities, the government, as well as non-Muslim civil society groups and headed by respected judges, dealing with human rights violations in the south would be a first step to strengthen mutual trust.

This was published in February. Ominously, the author continued:

The Thai government, however, may feel encouraged by the insurgency in the south to extend already existing internal security arrangements and emphasize the military response to the separatist movement. The net outcome of southern unrest, thus might, benefit authoritarian tendencies in the new democratic regime as the government could feel tempered to use the counterinsurgency to shift the political agenda to state security and away from democracy and human rights...

As I had expected, there are a lot of messages from racist/right-winger types who say 'Let's destroy all these Muslims' and also from folks who like to attack Thaksin at every opportunity they find.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jem-Jem, Please point me to where somebody said "lets destroy all these Muslims" I must have missed that posting. Or do you mean that most realistic thinking people want to see the perpetrators of the murders bought to justice,which is how I read them.

We need to eliminate all muslim's from moving  anywhere in the world,  because in my opinion  none of them  can be  trusted.   :o

And btw Ozzydom, if you are going to continue to be a wiseguy, fine, your choice, but please spare me the crap that one automatically have to submit a solution to a problem just because one doesn't like Your solution. If anyone posts anything that isn't right I will object. But if you rather have uneducated people posting garbage about stuff they clearly have no or little knowledge about, then just outright tell us so, and I can stop posting _facts_.

Six lines of crap and still no answer to my question Zarkow,you made the statement ,now answer the question or as we uneducated folk say,"piss or get off the pot" :D

I see some good solutions leading suggestions... that's great.

If there would be an easy solution, we woldn't discuss this.. But, it's 'bout politics too.

And, the historic facts remain too. Southern areas have been ignored by the thai/buddhist government ever since they were totally included in the kingdom in 1910. So there has been a good breeding ground for stuff like this. Even still i say this is not about independece, but international terrorism... In the trend of the present world orders. But good point to start for Thai gov. would be to threat these provinces as normal provinces...

Thai editors vow to fight new security law

BANGKOK: -- Dozens of Thai editors vowed on Tuesday to fight an emergency security law which gives Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra sweeping powers to censor news and tap phones to curb 19 months of violence in the Muslim south.

The opposition and other civic groups also piled in against the "Emergency Powers Law", enacted by decree at the weekend, which lets Thaksin impose curfews, detain people without charge, close premises and ban public gatherings.

The cabinet will decide how and where the special powers, which critics say smack of dictatorship, should be used in the three southernmost Muslim-majority provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, the centre of the violence.

Four districts of Songkhla province, also along the Malaysian border, fall under the new law, which had been in the pipeline for months but pushed out hurriedly after a dramatic and coordinated attack on Yala last Thursday night.

The Nation newspaper said the law had brought about the "biggest media crisis in modern Thai history" and united print and broadcast journalists to unite against it.

"We want the law to be abolished," said Chavarong Limpattanapanee of the National Press Council of Thailand, which monitors an industry code of conduct.

The government has said the new law, which consolidates martial law already in effect in parts of the far south, would improve its handling of security in the region, where more than 800 people have been killed since January 2004.

It has tried everything from olive branch to iron fist to restore peace in the southern region, once an independent Muslim sultanate where militants fought a low-key separatist war in the 1970s and 1980s.

Nothing seems to have worked. Thaksin and other ministers accuse the media of sensationalising events in the far south and making the situation worse.

"The escalation of violence in the south has been caused by directionless solutions and inefficiency of government officials, not the lack of laws," said Chavarong.

At least 50 senior journalists, including former and current heads of professional journalism bodies as well as radio and television editors, met on Tuesday morning to voice their anger at the government.

The last time such a group assembled was in July 1997 in response to the government's attempt to install a council to regulate the media. The government later dropped the idea.

Pro-democracy activists, who have long complained about Thaksin's autocratic but wildly popular style, say they are determined to seek a Constitutional Court review of the legality of the decree.

"We want to stop the implementation of this law, which is threatening rights and liberties stated in the constitution," said Suriyasai Katasila of the Campaign for Popular Democracy.

"This decree is overthrowing the constitution, with violations of more than 40 articles," he said.

Some senators and the opposition Democrats also called on Thaksin to hold a special parliamentary debate on the law before parliament reconvenes as scheduled in August.

Thaksin has tersely dismissed the idea.

--Reuters 2005-07-19

Doesn't the fact that these southern "seperatists" never seem to take responsibility for the attacks, never come with any demands, etc strike anyone as a bit "odd"... :o

I believe I asked the question it in another thread, but I will risk repeating myself:

No responsibility .......... Thai culture, Thai style

Actually, in my experience, Thai people are as likely as anyone else to take the credit for a job well performed. But then again, after living and working here for 7 years, I obviously have yet to achieve your amazing insight into the Thai psyche.

Lame, Larry, lame.....

Not to defend the man ( :o ) but to get your facts straight.

His great grand father moved here from China in the late 1860's. There are also Thais in his lineage.

That hardly makes him "chinese".

Not to defend the man ( :D ) but to get your facts straight.

His great grand father moved here from China in the late 1860's. There are also Thais in his lineage.

That hardly makes him "chinese".

Why does any one care what he is? :o Either he IS a prick or he IS NOT a prick. I think that is the important thing here.

ALLAH AQBAR!

I guess it makes your mothers heart all warm and fuzzy knowing she gave birth to a racist POS like you.

I wouldn't piss on you if you where on fire.

Ps. I'm white, blond, blue-green eyes and atheist, so keep your racial profiling for yourself. Ds.

Six lines of crap and still no answer to my question Zarkow,you made the statement ,now answer the question or as we uneducated folk say,"piss or get off the pot" :D

Reading-comprehension and education. Lacking it are we?

In the real world, outside your bong-infedsted home, there is no such thing as 'easy solutions'. There is no one-liners on any forum that are going to solve a war.

Anyone that produces them are therefor, by their own admission, full of shit.

So no, I'm not gonna give you a 'solution' - since there isn't (a flawless) one!

We cannot go back 103 years in time and *not* annex the region for instance.

However, as stated earlier, it's easy to spot the clueless ones. The ones that can only produce oversimplefied drivel.

On that subject, what is Your solution? =)

Interesting point :

The opinion survey found 57.3% blamed the violence on discord between officials and local residents, 54.9% on the conflict over underground interests between police and influential figures, 53.2% on the drugs, 50.6% on the weapons trade, 48.7% on misunderstandings from news reports, 46.6% on separatism and 42.9% on criminal activities

Separitism is way down the list.

The facts (and boy do we need some) are that a lot of Buddhist and Muslims have been killed in the "troubles". And those who know, ie. Thais, cite the reasons above as the causes.

Root cause IMO is lack of competence and integrity of the state, caused mainly by corruption and nepotism. Old story.

Root cause IMO is lack of competence and integrity of the state, caused mainly by corruption and nepotism. Old story.

Indeed it is. Nobody can really call Toxin on his sh** since he had been ambiguously honest from the start. He did state over and over again about getting rid of poverty...never said how...but, now we know. Mow em' all down. :o

ALLAH AQBAR!

I guess it makes your mothers heart all warm and fuzzy knowing she gave birth to a racist POS like you.

Ps. I'm white, blond, blue-green eyes and atheist, so keep your racial profiling for yourself. Ds.

Well said, Zarkow ! Normally, I try my best not to write or approve of 'harsh-sounding expressions' like the above; but this person, Nam Kao, definitely deserves them...he has CONTINUALLY been posting offensive stuff against Muslims (there are a few other bigots like him here but this guy does this very frequently) and when asked by me if/why he doesn't DIFFERENTIATE between pro-violence Islamists and the heavy majority anti-violence Muslims, he never gives an answer but instead continues his offensive remarks.

Fight has to be taken to the bigots...whether they are folks like Nam Kao (and a few others here who are lacking in the humanism department), or an Islamist who preaches hateful stuff to kids, inciting them to violence, or the Caucasian tourist (or maybe a resident, who knows) who, out of the blue, said very offensive/racist stuff to a South Asian friend of mine due to his skin color, when we walked into a bar in Sukumvit (this happened a few years ago), or a bigot who continually posts offensive remarks against homosexuals (a guy whom I have been taking on in another forum). Just a few examples of bigotry.

I wish I were much younger and more militant-spirited and wish I had a chance to join an anti-racist/anti-bigotry group but anyway a united international front against bigotry is always good for true humanism even if is limited to the Internet.

By the way, I am always for nearly total freedom of expression....but for instance, rightfully, hateful stuff against Buddhism and Buddhists would not be tolerated here...so why similar stuff against Islam and Muslims is tolerated here ?! Yes...why ? One can say this is a Thailand forum and about 90 percent of Thai people are Buddhists....yes, true...but then I would immediately accuse you of lacking in humanism department.

Enough said by me on this.

Cheers,

Jem

Hey I don't care what you say about me but don't you see the truth at all?? people being bombed in britian now thailand!!! These extremists want to change the world, and doing it by fear!!!! and then you blame the politicians?? where are they going to be in some nice little bunker if a really big attack comes again like africa and new york and washington. who cares about facts Are facts going to stop these people?? NO.

We are at war, who cares who started it. But the terrorists definately want to finish it!!! I say we nuke the middle east end of story get all troops out and then nuke it to high heaven. :D

Hey  I don't care what you say about me  but don't you see the truth at all??  people  being bombed in  britian now  thailand!!!  These extremists want to change the world,  and doing  it  by  fear!!!!    and then  you blame the politicians??  where are they going to be  in some nice little  bunker  if a really big  attack  comes again like  africa and new  york and washington.  who cares  about facts  Are facts  going to stop  these people??  NO. 

We are at  war,  who  cares  who started it.  But  the  terrorists  definately want to finish  it!!!  I say we nuke the middle  east  end of story  get all troops out and then nuke  it to  high heaven.    :o

Simple solutions from the simple-minded.

Fight has to be taken to the bigots...whether they are folks like Nam Kao (and a few others here who are lacking in the humanism department), or an Islamist who preaches hateful stuff to kids, inciting them to violence, or the Caucasian tourist (or maybe a resident, who knows) who, out of the blue, said very offensive/racist stuff to a South Asian friend of mine due to his skin color, when we walked into a bar in Sukumvit (this happened a few years ago), or a bigot who continually posts offensive remarks against homosexuals (a guy whom I have been taking on in another forum). Just a few examples of bigotry.

Really well said JJ :o

ALLAH AQBAR!

Well said, Zarkow ! Normally, I try my best not to write or approve of 'harsh-sounding expressions' like the above; but this person, Nam Kao, definitely deserves them...he has CONTINUALLY been posting offensive stuff against Muslims (there are a few other bigots like him here but this guy does this very frequently) and when asked by me if/why he doesn't DIFFERENTIATE between pro-violence Islamists and the heavy majority anti-violence Muslims, he never gives an answer but instead continues his offensive remarks.

I wish I were much younger and more militant-spirited and wish I had a chance to join an anti-racist/anti-bigotry group but anyway a united international front against bigotry is always good for true humanism even if is limited to the Internet.

By the way, I am always for nearly total freedom of expression....but for instance, rightfully, hateful stuff against Buddhism and Buddhists would not be tolerated here...so why similar stuff against Islam and Muslims is tolerated here ?! Yes...why ? One can say this is a Thailand forum and about 90 percent of Thai people are Buddhists....yes, true...but then I would immediately accuse you of lacking in humanism department.

Enough said by me on this.

Cheers,

Jem

The white, blue eyed blonde haired bit got your heart pounding eh JemJem :o