Peaceblondie Going To Hospital

Ijustwannateach

I got a call from my good friend and regular TV poster Peaceblondie about an hour ago. He was actually in the ambulance at the time (I could hear the "wwwweeee-ooooooo-weeeeeee-oooooo" in the background) after having had a minor motorcycle accident on the way from Chiang Mail to the Burmese border for a visa run.

Apparently, a dog ran out in front of him. He attempted to swerve (which he now believes was a mistake) and lost control and went flying, along with one passenger. The passenger and the bike were almost undamaged; the dog was killed and from initial inspection by paramedics, PB has broken his shoulder but seems otherwise ok. He said everyone was tremendously helpful and he has no complaint at all about the local medical care; he's on his way to a hospital in Chiang Mai for the shoulder. He was in a lot of pain but thankfully there don't seem to be any life-threatening injuries.

He should probably be out of the hospital today or tomorrow, and is still planning on making his move to Hua Hin next week. I'll post more details as I get them. Otherwise, except for the shoulder, his main concern is that he won't be able to make this border run in time for the visa. He was asking if anyone knew whether immigration were lenient over this sort of thing. He says hello to everyone, and I'm sure it won't be long before he's back posting in his usual sunny way.

"Steven"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was asking if anyone knew whether immigration were lenient over this sort of thing.  He says hello to everyone, and I'm sure it won't be long before he's back posting in his usual sunny way.

"Steven"

Sounds like he was a bit lucky actually, could have easily turned out worse. Not sure about leniency on unavoidable overstays but better he explains the circumstance to the hospital and gets a written and signed statement from the Doc and then get a cop to sign it as well.

Couldn't think of a better place to convalesce than Hua Hin, best wishes to PB.

He was asking if anyone knew whether immigration were lenient over this sort of thing.  He says hello to everyone, and I'm sure it won't be long before he's back posting in his usual sunny way.

"Steven"

Sounds like he was a bit lucky actually, could have easily turned out worse. Not sure about leniency on unavoidable overstays but better he explains the circumstance to the hospital and gets a written and signed statement from the Doc and then get a cop to sign it as well.

Couldn't think of a better place to convalesce than Hua Hin, best wishes to PB.

I agree, sounds lucky. As a motorcyclist, I know all too well how simple accidents can cause the most horrendous injuries - sounds as though the old helmet was on though - thank God.

Anyway, God speed for a quick recovery, PB.

I got a call from my good friend and regular TV poster Peaceblondie about an hour ago.  He was actually in the ambulance at the time (I could hear the "wwwweeee-ooooooo-weeeeeee-oooooo" in the background) after having had a minor motorcycle accident on the way from Chiang Mail to the Burmese border for a visa run.

Apparently, a dog ran out in front of him.  He attempted to swerve (which he now believes was a mistake) and lost control and went flying, along with one passenger. 

"Steven"

Same happened when I was on the back of my mates bike. Best thing is never to swevre (so says my Thai friend). We were going all out so could have been nasty but I did not even fall off.

People should watch out for drivers at red lights. Peolpe seem to think red means go. I got knoced off two weeks ago and my foot is still sore. We had green and I could see the guy had red but again I was the passenger and had little control. We got tailended but no major damage done all around. The guy paid for the hopsital and the bike to be fixed but wanted no police involvement (he ahd been drinking me thinks). Both the Police and an Ambulnace drove by and despite us calling to them, both drove off. Luckily I had friends come pick me up.

BE CAREFUL ON MOPEDS AND ONLY DRIVE WITH PEOPLE YOU TRUST.

HELMETS TEND TO HELP WITH THINGS AS WELL.

Sorry to hear the news PB, as said before it could have been a LOT LOT worse.

Anyway get well soon, I am sure you will find enough help here to help you make your move to HH at the end of the month, but dont try lifting anything heavy yourself.

All the best

TP

I have three thoughts. The first one is that anyone who depends on a motorcycle for their primary transportation in Thailand has a death wish. The second thought is that I have a motorcycle too. I use it to go back and forth to the local market and avoid driving on the highway and would NEVER drive in Bangkok, Pattaya or any other city. The third more practical thing is if an animal jumps out in front of you aim for its middle. If you can avoid swerving you have a good chance to remain upright. I have a friend who swerved for a chicken and he had all kinds of road rash. You DO need a helmet.

Truly a bummer man. I know that I have set myself up in Thailand so that I never get on a bike and don't have a car. This is important to me. I'm here to relax. Get well soon for sure.

P.S. I think that there is really something wrong somewhere when after being hospitalized, the #1 worry is about overstay. That is just flat out twisted

Inforntunately a fact of life -2 typesof motorcycle riders those that have come off & those that are about too.

Thank goodness i upped cc's recently - ride with caution try to reduce the odds stay inside your own yard.

jokes aside get better soon

I always ride away from the edge of the road and try to avoid them if I can, but if it's inevitable I'll hit one then I'll go straight at it, with no malice intended I might add. Caught a dog a couple of months ago on the way to Pai. Saw him and flinched (no time for big directional changes) but stayed at him and luckily just caught his back end and bent me toe right back. My friend following behind says he span around like a top hat.

Take care PB

I have three thoughts. The first one is that anyone who depends on a motorcycle for their primary transportation in Thailand has a death wish. The second thought is that I have a motorcycle too. I use it to go back and forth to the local market and avoid driving on the highway and would NEVER drive in Bangkok, Pattaya or any other city. The third more practical thing is if an animal jumps out in front of you aim for its middle. If you can avoid swerving you have a good chance to remain upright. I have a friend who swerved for a chicken and he had all kinds of road rash. You DO need a helmet.

Not wishing to make light of P B’s Misfortune but

If you try the above with Buffalo, Elephant etc.

Will they act as airbag or wall?

Last animal I hit, (though it was 20 + years ago), while ridding m/cycle was a St Bernard. :o

Awoke in Hospital broken legs 2, arm 1, Dog ran off !! :D

Once again

All the best PB, wish you a speedy recovery.

Ivan

:D