Dog Bite

DreamRider

Banal and crass I know .. but

if one were to be bitten by a dog with a known fixed abode ... (ie it had all the jabs), how much should one pay for a full treatment at, say, Bangkok Phuket Hospital or the local "queue after 6pm" clinic.

Just wondered, because my friend's maid was "bitten" - I don't believe there was any blood - and she wanted 20,000 for the full range of jabs.

yep; thanks for the replies. I was in Udon Thani and was treated in the Aek Udon - a partner hospital to Bangkok Phuket - and was charged 2,500 for assured jabbing.

My buddy's sister-in-law is basically a scheming trollope.

Edited by DreamRider

Maybe she should be paying to have the dog taken care of.:whistling:

Couldn't agree more. Its a far better solution to just pay any demanded money and kill off a (presumably much loved) family pet, than to admit that someone's 'taking the piss'.

Let's face it, she's worth far more (a lying maid looking for money) than a dog just relying on his family to look after him.

My friend's maid was bitten and she wanted the same amount and went to the best hospital and ended up at the police station and had receipts for that outrageous amount. The police took the maid's side of course.

In 2003 I was bitten. I went to Patong hospital and paid about 500 baht a shot. Then went to Dr Wattana in Patong and got a take away kit to take to the SImilans and also paid 500 baht for a shot.

I would email the hospital and ask them how much and save that as your proof.

That seems to be about the going rate to try to milk a farang for. My dog nipped the neighbors kid in the rear, barely broke the skin. My dog saw the kid hit me in the rear and thought that he was attacking me. We were just playing around. Another neighbor saw it and defended my dog. We had a big Thai family meeting as I live in my adopted Thai family's compound. I had all my dog's papers with all her shot's up to date and the medical care at the government hospital was free for the kid. It was decided I should buy the kid some toys and that was it. The neighbor who's kid got nipped wanted at least 10K Bhat, I said no and now they won't talk to me. My other neighbor doesn't like them anyway. So, no big deal. Other than they still try at times to be mean to my dog. My dog doesn't like them and she's a very good judge of character it seems! The rest of the family likes that my dog is my body guard. It seems most Thais don't understand or care for their dogs, unless it's little toy dog they can dress up.

dream rider.

re .... she wanted 20,000 for the full range of jabs ..???? nahhh !

the 5 anti rabies shots i had after a cat bit me badly in feb 10 cost 2750 baht

and an anti tetanus top up shot the same as getlosts wife had was 250 baht

3000 baht ..... thats the anti rabies treatment from doctor morgan in chiang mai

compensation for the maid ??? .... up to you : ) .... dave2

post-42592-009010400 1283909584_thumb.jp

Chiang Mai Ram Hospital which is the best in Chiang Mai and the most expensive cost the wife 5,000 baht for the crazy dog shots as she calls them. Plus there was also a tetanus shot in that.

I had a dog bite. Got 5 shots, 5 trips to hospital (Public). Total cost 5,000b

Police - very sympathetic. A ride home and a visit to the owner. Advice to get shots.

Owner - It is not my dog. My wife saw you play with the dog. I will shoot the dog. Why did you come onto the property. I am a poor man, can not pay 5,000b. All five lies - standard.

Advice on this Forum - The thai fleas on a thai dog have more rights in

Thailand than me. And I agree.

My advice - your maid is thai. the dog is thai. NOT A CINCH! This is their internal affair.

How about obtaining the tendered receipts from the police, and check with the hospital and if they still insists its the correct fee, then you should tell them you are going to help advertise their ripoff rates in a local daily so that poor people which is 95% of the country to stay away from ever going in there.

• 1 month later...

Possibly the cost is only 5.000 or less, but if the bite was serious I think a compensation would be in order, unless it was completely her own fault of course.

Agree. You can't just let your dog bite some one and expect the cost of the jabs to be sufficient. So being bitten, the pain, the time taken to go to the hospital. None of that should be allowed for? I'm not saying 20k isn't too much, but expecting to pay the exact cost of the jabs is madness.

You're lucky. Any unproveked attack in the West, I'm fairly sure, would result in the dog being destroyed.

Dog owners can be very arrogant at times.

Possibly the cost is only 5.000 or less, but if the bite was serious I think a compensation would be in order, unless it was completely her own fault of course.

6900 baht for intitial treatment, rabies vaccines, full tetanus vaccine program (6 months with several injections) and vound treatment.

Follow up on wound, approx 2500 baht. very small wound, one tooth only, but deep

bangkok hospital 3-4 months ago

dog owner can be jailed for max 1 month for having dangerous dog if not paying for treatment

Agree. You can't just let your dog bite some one and expect the cost of the jabs to be sufficient. So being bitten, the pain, the time taken to go to the hospital. None of that should be allowed for? I'm not saying 20k isn't too much, but expecting to pay the exact cost of the jabs is madness.

You're lucky. Any unproveked attack in the West, I'm fairly sure, would result in the dog being destroyed.

Dog owners can be very arrogant at times.

Exactly. She might be terrified of dogs for the rest of her life. That's how people can react to getting bit by a dog. Such psychological trauma should come at a price. I'm a dog lover myself and if my dog did such a thing I would probably give her around 50.000 bath on the spot to at least give her some sort of compensation. Not that money can make the bad memory go away, but it's better than going to the internet whining about how unfair she is blink.gif