My Experience In Getting A Retirement Extension Of Stay & Reentry Permit

Went to Chaeng Wattana Immigration today to renew my retirement extension of stay and get a single re-entry permit. Wore a nice pullover shirt, nice jeans, and my best flip-flops. Got there around 8am…was about 10 people in a line waiting for the doors to open at 8:30am. Doors opened a little before 8:30am (about 40 people in the line now), got my queue number which showed I was #1 for long stay service. A few minutes after 8:30am the immigration officers began calling queue numbers. Although my queue number was 1, they actually called the first 4 or 5 long stay queue numbers at about the same time since they had that many officers doing the initial application processing.

I set down, handed the officer my TM7 Application and passport, with a copy of my passport (including the departure card & latest 90 day address reporting receipt) and my income affidavit from my home country embassy confirming the 800,000 baht in income/pension/savings. Took less than 10 minutes for the officer to look over/process my paperwork, take my picture, and have me fill out & sign three other short/easy forms while she was processing my other paperwork. The three additional forms basically had me confirm that I'm aware I must do 90 day address reporting, I'm aware I must have an income/pension/savings of 800,000 baht to get/renew a retirement extension of stay, and a third form which looked similar to the front side of the TM7 application but the officer only wanted me to fill out my name/address at the top and sign it…she said she would fill in the rest. I paid the officer the 1900 application fee, got a receipt, and was told to go back the waiting area as they finished the processing. About 5 minutes later I was called back in to see a second officer (probably a supervisor) who quickly checked my paperwork, signed/initialed a few things, and handed me back my passport with a renewed retirement extension of stay…setting at this officer's desk only lasted maybe 2 minutes. This whole process took less than 20 minutes to renew my retirement extension of stay.

I then went back to get a queue number to get a single reentry permit. Got called to see an officer in less than 10 minutes, handed the officer my TM8 application form, he processed it, I gave him 1,000 baht for the permit application fee, and he gave me a receipt. He told me to go back to the waiting area until called again. In about 10 minutes after the application flowed through two other officers (I could see the paper flow) and I was then called back to pick up my passport with the reentry permit. Total time around 20 minutes to get the reentry permit.

Summary: total time to renew my retirement extension of stay and get a reentry permit after walking into the Chaeng Wattana Immigration Office was approx 40 minutes tops. The immigration officers, to include the folks manning the queue/information desks, were polite, professional, dressed sharply, and efficient. It was a good experience.

I find that if you are well dressed and presented, things will go smoothly for you when dealing with Immigration. Having used Suan Phlu dozens of times and C/W only once, I too noticed the VAST difference between the 2 with regards to quickness, efficiency and overall smoothness.

I dreaded S/P and now have no qualms about C/W.

Agree 100% regarding the difference between Suan Plu and Chaeng Wattana. Plus, when I went to Chaeng Wattana last week to do my 90 day reporting they were have a week long Food Fair with entrainment in the BIG open central area of the building. The wife enjoyed that while I went into immigration and did my 90 day reporting which took less than 10 minutes....then I came out and enjoyed the event along with the wife for about an hour. Was kinda like going to the mall and being able to do your 90 day reporting. Nice.

I went to Chaeng Wattana today as well to do 90 day report and get a single entry re-entry permit. Compared to my previous visit back in March, the place was empty. When I approached the desk for the queue tickets, they gave me both the tickets at same time, had the 90 day report and re-entry permit all done in about 30 minutes.

Well Pib, seems like we're on the same schedule...

I went TODAY to Chaeng Wattana to do the triple threat - 2nd retirement extension as an American, re-entry permit and 90-day report, which had a deadline coming up in about 2 weeks. Arrived about 9:30 and was done by 11:30 am... Everything went smooth, without complication.

Retirement Extension:

I didn't have the benefit of a queue counter person willing to give me chits for all three tasks at one time. So it probably took longer because I had to do and wait for the extension, then go back to the counter for a re-entry ticket, then later go back again for a 90-day report ticket. When I started out, there were probably about 15 people ahead of me for the extension part, with 3 or 4 officers doing that work.

Out of an abundance of caution, I brought all the potential and rumored extra documents that sometimes and in some Immigration offices (usually other than Bangkok) have been asked for. Wasn't asked for and didn't need any of them, including home lease agreement and utility bill in my name. U.S. Consulate income letter accepted without question, though the officer did a quick calculator calculation to convert my U.S. $ monthly income amount into baht. I couldn't see what exchange rate he used.

I included in my extension packet a map to my residence in BKK, which the officer turned back to me and didn't keep. I brought, but didn't include in my packet, all the necessary documents to support the Embassy income letter. None were asked for. I had two different passport face pages copied, one with just the photo and info page, and the other with that page and the adjoining signature/cover page. The officer kept the photo/info page combined with the signature page copy, and gave me back the photo/info-only page copy. Once in the cubicle, he had me sign all the passport page copies as well as the two misc. notice forms he provided.

This was my first extension to process at CW (as opposed to Suan Plu in the past), so I was at first confused a bit by the queue ticket they issued. It clearly had a queue number on it, but it also had a counter number on the ticket, something like C-40. But when I walked down that section of cubicles, the C-40 counter was un-staffed. So I checked back at the queue counter, and it became apparent that only the queue number on the ticket matters at least for now, and the counter number is irrelevant. You'll go to whichever counter calls your queue number both over the speakers and on the video board.

Interestingly, I brought along my Thai partner just so she could become familiar with the new location and the process, and to help in case anything got either complicated or language challenged. As it turned out, the male officer handling my extension -- whom I remember well from prior visits to Suan Plu -- had almost nothing to say to me, but chatted extensively with my wife in Thai about her and my relationship, where she worked, and other innocuous stuff. I'm assuming he was being social and/or sussing out whether to suggest we should apply for an extension based on marriage.

At the extension cubicle, the guy used their fingerprint reader machine to take copies of my two index finger prints, and the CanonPowerShot digital camera on a little stand on his desk to take my photo, even though I had the required print photo attached to my extension application. Passed us along to his supervisor, a woman about 15 years his junior, I'd guess, and we were done with the extension.

Re-Entry Permit:

Nothing remarkable about the re-entry permit counters process on the opposite site of the room. Fill out the form and attach the photo on the back side. To Lopburi, I did leave the section about future travel blank (no problem), and I did use the new permitted to stay until date and extension issued date that I received today in completing the re-entry permit application form, not the soon expiring ones, also fine. Wait for queue number, go to the counter to submit the form and pay the money, then go sit down again and wait for your queue number to be called a second time to a different counter in the same section to pick up your passport stamped with the re-entry permit.

90 Day Report:

As for the 90-day notice part, I'd say the information listed on the Immigration Bureau web site is a bit out of date... As has been noted previously, they now want (when you mail in the report in Bangkok) to include a 10-baht stamped, self-addressed envelope, not 5 baht as on the web site. And while the web site talks about including "copy of all passport pages," what they really appear to want is just the 1) photo/signature/info page 2) the page with your last stamp in date and 3) the page with your current permitted-to-stay stamp.

But for the in-person report at CW, since they already had my passport, they didn't want or care about the passport copies. The officer took my passport, the competed re-entry permit application form, and the notice of my last prior 90-day report, and turned everything else back to me. Gave me the report receipt notice there and handed back my passport. Took two minutes at the counter.

Here's the instruction form the officer gave my partner for doing mail-in 90-day reports in BKK. Why they're keeping/using a 90-day report instructions form in Thai, I can only wonder...

post-53787-076796500 1283952653_thumb.jp

As I understand it it asks for:

--the three pieces of passport book info listed above.

--copy of your TM6 departure card.

--your prior 90-day report receipt notice.

--the completed TM47 Re-Entry Permit application form.

--a self-addressed stamped envelope with a 10 baht stamp.

Dump all of the above into an envelope and mail as registered or better mail to the listed address about a week ahead of your deadline, to allow the mail to be received BEFORE your 90-day reporting deadline.

As I understand it it asks for:

--the three pieces of passport book info listed above.

--copy of your TM6 departure card.

--your prior 90-day report receipt notice.

--the completed TM47 Re-Entry Permit application form.

--a self-addressed stamped envelope with a 10 baht stamp.

Just for clarity, a TM 47 is the "Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 days", not a "Re-Entry Permit application form". That's a TM 8.

Christ, we must have all walked past one another :lol: . I had a stack of 6 passports that needed 90 day reporting, (sadly none of them were mine, so hafta slog back out again for myself in a few more weeks! :( ).

The counter where you queue is very important as every area out there is clearly marked by different letters, and the queue tickets all have the area letter on the top. FWIW: I think yearly extensions of stay are processed in area L, the first area to the right, just after you get the queue tickets, ED visas are in the next section over, re-entry permits are on the opposite side of the room, and 90 day reporting is in its own tiny room by itself on the same side of the area as re-entry permits.

Even though I go out there 4 or 5 times a month (if not more) and the counter staff knows me by sight, they’re still reticent to give me multiple queue numbers. Usually if I have an 'acquaintance' getting an extension of stay, I'll excuse myself once I see their paperwork will fly, go back and get another queue number for their re-entry permit or their 90 day reporting.

Personally, even though it's quite a bit further for me to travel; I'd prefer to make the slog out to Changwattana ANY DAY than go back to that hel_l-hole that was Suan Plu. Only down side is; I don’t do moto-cy taxis, so that walk from where the bus drops you off at the mouth of Changwattana Soi 7 all the way down the soi is a LONG one for me :ermm: .

Funny, this was the third time I ran into the same thai guy who is the 'runner' for Bumrungrad Hospital in the 90 day reporting room. He had almost 30 passports. He recognized me from before, and when I chatted to him, he said he runs out there every day. Even though I didn't ask him at all, he graciously switched queue numbers with me (he was one number ahead of me, lol), so it cut my time down waiting.

I guess Bumrungrad is doing a bang up business charging anyone who wants to walk thru the door, their 500 baht fee for 90 day 'we-report-4-u service' that they offer. :bah:

Only down side is; I don’t do moto-cy taxis, so that walk from where the bus drops you off at the mouth of Changwattana Soi 7 all the way down the soi is a LONG one for me .

Has the free shuttle bus service stopped? Believe it ran three or four times an hour from previous reports from left side at mouth of Soi. I use taxi but agree that would be a long/hot walk with very little shade.

Tod, based on our visit on Wednesday...

The section to the left and then inward as you first walk to the reception counter is where they handle the retirement extensions.

The re-entry permit section is on the opposite side of the room, to the right of the reception counter and then inward.

The separate room for the 90 day reports is in the right corner as you enter, back outward toward the exit and the entrance to outside.

When we were there, they still had the periodic shuttle buses running between the Immigration building and the main road.

PS to Tod - Did you read the recent post by member Gubeman -- thread "cheapest way to get a retirement extension" -- saying he paid some attorney $1,000 U.S. plus 10,000 baht "under the counter" money to prepare his retirement visa application. I'm assuming you can be bought for cheaper than that...and probably do a better job as well... :lol:

Edited by jfchandler

Tod, based on our visit on Wednesday...

Sorry man, got my lefts and rights mixed up. I stand humbly 'erected' :whistling: eerrr corrected. .. ;)

PS to Tod - Did you read the recent post by member Gubeman -- I'm assuming you can be bought for cheaper than that...and probably do a better job as well... :lol:

That was one of the craziest posts I've read in the visa sub-forum, I mean, it is just mind wobbling :blink: someone would actually cough up that kinda money for something that is pretty much straight forward (as far as things go here in thailand) :ermm: . While I can't really be 'bought' :lol: , I can certainly do something like that far cheaper! :)