Gay Commitment Ceremony

lizoni

We're a same sex female couple looking to have a commitment ceremony - simple, small and beautiful. We're looking to organise the venue, food and drinks ourselves and are looking for a celebrant to complete the ceremony.

Has anyone been in the same position and have any info to offer?

Or know any good websites / resources?

All help gratefully accepted (except weddjng planners, we want a simple ceremony and want to organise it ourselves!)

thanks.

I have heard of male same-gender "wedding" ceremonies, and my BF and I may take that road next year.

I think organising it is pretty simple: Go to one of the wedding shops (probably the same as wedding planners in the US) and have them make suggestions. Alternatively, many hotels offer this service. I don't see any difference to hetero weddings. Do you? What do you want to do differently?

I'm am an ordained minister and would be willing to preside. This depends on your location. I'm in Bangkok.

Thank you for your offer, we are in Bangkok too.

However, "minister" sounds Christian. Are you a Christian minister? We are Buddhists. In fact, it's not difficult to find Buddhist monks to perform the ceremony. But I do appreciate your offer, and other people on this list may find it usefull too.

I'm am an ordained minister .......

However, "minister" sounds Christian. Are you a Christian minister? ........

Tom, I had to laugh at that - its a bit like asking a Rabbi if they are Jewish!

The term "ordained minister" is a specifically Christian one, although it is now possible for virtually anyone to become an "ordained minister" on-line free and be licenced to perform marriages under American law.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm am an ordained minister .......

However, "minister" sounds Christian. Are you a Christian minister? ........

Tom, I had to laugh at that - its a bit like asking a Rabbi if they are Jewish!

The term "ordained minister" is a specifically Christian one, although it is now possible for virtually anyone to become an "ordained minister" on-line free and be licenced to perform marriages under American law.

Thanks for this info. A "minister" is someone who administers something, and the word is used in Europe for top government members. I didn't know that in religious terms, it is only used for Christians.

But I thnk that your second paragraph is a bit disturbing, but that's certainly stuff for another forum.

• 1 month later...

I have a friend here on Samui that has organised many same sex ceremonies. if you would like her details PM me. I helped out with one last month where one of the partners was brought to the other along the beach on an elephant. They were from Brazil. A very good day it was as well.

• 1 month later...

My partner and I will be in Bangkok in February 2011 and are looking for someone to perform a commitment ceremony. This has no official or legal implications in Thailand, does it? That's fine as we just want pictures and a recorded statement of some kind, confirming our commitment. We plan to use this to document our commitment to immigration officials in South Africa. Being same-sex couples in South Africa is legal, but they're suspicious unless you can supply some kind of proof.

Edited by JerryAndMiel