Soi Buakow

flyingfox

The balloon was puffed up.

He was puffed-up.

V different.

Love it, though. You have just shown who and what you are by your post.

Glad yoo want cum 2 moocow coz it's fool of god conversashun and yooo got nuffink 2 say.

Not only do you want Patts to be anything but what it is, you also fink somewhere, hidden away, that only u n yer gang know, is some class.

Deluded.

Clearly not the brightest light.....

They have exactly the same meaning and describe the same thing. Therefore the hyphen is not necessary.

e.g. A man-eating shark is a shark that eats humans. A man eating shark is a man who is eating shark meat. Since adding the hypen to Puffed up does not modify the meaning, it is not necessary.

Nice try, but you fell flat...

What we are saying it that if you think Bua Khao is the best place to stay in Pattaya, then you are the one who is deluded.But we are ok with it, because at least we know where to find you....or avoid you :)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WILL I GET BANNED IF I SAY ANOTHER NOBHEAD POSTER

It is difficult to say really. It pretty much depends on the whims of the gods. :D

Not a ban a warning will be forthcoming

I like soi Buakhaow! There I've said it. I'm British, but no chav, have enough income to last me here and live in a nice beach-side condo (all paid for). However I do like to go to soi Buakhaow from time to time for the variety of very good and reasonably priced restaurants. 18 Coins, as already mentioned, has incredible specials every day. The other day I had chicken casserole with heaps of mashed potatoes and peas for the exorbitant price of 99 baht! Canterbury Tales has one of the best breakfasts in town, and there's also Neeroys and Chow Soy (?) for good Indian and Chinese food, plus the Jolly Friar and Juice. There also used to be the best Italian restaurant in town in soi X-Zyte, but that has gone downhill now.

In the area you also have the Bowling Green, home to the Lawn Bowls League, and the Bridge Club. I also enjoy Oasis, Champagne, Baby Boom and The Office (well, who wouldn't?). Other good things include Canterbury Tales bookshop, various sexy clothing shops, a multitude of reasonably priced hotels (Areca Lodge could in no way be called downmarket) and Crazy Dave's!

Sure it's a dangerous road for traffic, but that adds a bit of spice to life.

I like soi Buakhaow! There I've said it. I'm British, but no chav, have enough income to last me here and live in a nice beach-side condo (all paid for). However I do like to go to soi Buakhaow from time to time for the variety of very good and reasonably priced restaurants. 18 Coins, as already mentioned, has incredible specials every day. The other day I had chicken casserole with heaps of mashed potatoes and peas for the exorbitant price of 99 baht! Canterbury Tales has one of the best breakfasts in town, and there's also Neeroys and Chow Soy (?) for good Indian and Chinese food, plus the Jolly Friar and Juice. There also used to be the best Italian restaurant in town in soi X-Zyte, but that has gone downhill now.

In the area you also have the Bowling Green, home to the Lawn Bowls League, and the Bridge Club. I also enjoy Oasis, Champagne, Baby Boom and The Office (well, who wouldn't?). Other good things include Canterbury Tales bookshop, various sexy clothing shops, a multitude of reasonably priced hotels (Areca Lodge could in no way be called downmarket) and Crazy Dave's!

Sure it's a dangerous road for traffic, but that adds a bit of spice to life.

Many of the places you mention are not in Soi Bua Khao at all. Nevertheless, with your post you confirm that the area appears to cater for a certain demographic. Perhaps it is this that some people choose to avoid.

Many of the places you mention are not in Soi Bua Khao at all. Nevertheless, with your post you confirm that the area appears to cater for a certain demographic. Perhaps it is this that some people choose to avoid.

Sure, maybe they aren't on soi Buakhaow itself, but I see soi Buakhaow as an area not just the street. Soi Chayapoon, soi Lengkee and LK Metro are as much part of Buakhaow as the street itself. And I don't see how my examples point to a "certain demographic", everyone needs to eat and sleep and some people like to read, others do not.

Sure, maybe they aren't on soi Buakhaow itself, but I see soi Buakhaow as an area not just the street. Soi Chayapoon, soi Lengkee and LK Metro are as much part of Buakhaow as the street itself. And I don't see how my examples point to a "certain demographic", everyone needs to eat and sleep and some people like to read, others do not.

By "certain demographic" I think he must mean those who like to get value for money! For those with the least money it is essential, for those with a reasonable amount it is common sense, for those with a lot of money it seems to be beneath them!

By "certain demographic" I think he must mean those who like to get value for money! For those with the least money it is essential, for those with a reasonable amount it is common sense, for those with a lot of money it seems to be beneath them!

Perhaps not everyone travels halfway across the world to eat exactly the same cheap rubbish that they would eat in their own country. You can eat well and inexpensively without entering that Soi at all.

I like the place-no I dont live in Patts-just holiday,the variety of bars/shops/massage/hairdressers/ characters( Glitterman included ) that are in this area are part of its charm/horror dependant upon a persons likes or dislikes-this is life,one persons meat is anothers poison.For me relaxing in the Kateseree house with a Leo and watching the chaos/characters go by means there,s hardly a dull moment-yes its busy,yes there,s some poor quality people.yes it can be dangerous walking-but without it Pattaya wouldn,t be the same-back in three weeks!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just got back from a week staying on Mookow, and loved it.

To those who are prejudiced against the area I'd like to reply;

Stayed in one of the 50 sqm rooms for 600 baht I mentioned; 42" plasma, dvd, etc. If you doubt they exist, get on the net and find them. Won't be difficult as there's plenty of them. If however you like paying more for a lot less, don't bother.

Food; Chow Soi, Robin's Nest, and the Continental Bakery offer excellent beakfasts at ridiculosly reasonable prices. The new RN 149 baht brekkie buffet is, penny for penny, one of the best I can remember having.

For dinner, all the above offer great choices, and Cherry's, which has to be classified as in the Mookow area, offers what woud be 2 grand at Bruno's for about 25% of that cost. Also, believe it or not, if I wanted summat gourmet, ie heavily over-priced and remember foodyism went out of fashion in the 80s, I could easily walk to a number of them or get a taxi. Likewise the beach.

As for the people; met some great folks. Sure, there's some lowlifes but as Patts basically exists for one reason they are bound to be found anywhere in town.

Finally, the traffic. It ain't that bad and all you have to do is follow the old Tufty Club Code and walk on the side of the traffic coming towards you. There'a ample space for the cars and peds and if you do as said and don't stroll out too far into the road you won't have a problem. Seen 1 accident here and that is a lot less than I've seen on 2nd Road.

It is a great area, a town in itself with a great atmosphere. If you dislike it coz you think you are superior, you are deluded. There is nothing of any real class in Patts so that excludes you from having any if you are there. If you were as worthy as you belive of an up-scale resort, Patts would not even cross your radar.

You probably don't realise as a tourist but there are actually loads of us living here who aren't on the short time sex kick or living on a tight budget. Just as I dont like hanging around soi 6, I dont like hanging around Soi Buakow, each to their own. The Op asked the question for peoples thoughs on the Soi and got them, so why all the outrage that some dont like it or some of its inhabitants. I am happy for you if you have a good trip staying in a nice room for 600 baht/night, but I'd pay more for the same room in a different location (note I did not say better location)

Seems to me that some posters have quite large chips on their shoulders about their lifestyles or how others percieve them.

Stayed in one of the 50 sqm rooms for 600 baht I mentioned; 42" plasma, dvd, etc. If you doubt they exist, get on the net and find them. Won't be difficult as there's plenty of them. If however you like paying more for a lot less, don't bother.

Food; Chow Soi, Robin's Nest, and the Continental Bakery offer excellent beakfasts at ridiculosly reasonable prices. The new RN 149 baht brekkie buffet is, penny for penny, one of the best I can remember having.

For dinner, all the above offer great choices, and Cherry's, which has to be classified as in the Mookow area, offers what woud be 2 grand at Bruno's for about 25% of that cost. Also, believe it or not, if I wanted summat gourmet, ie heavily over-priced and remember foodyism went out of fashion in the 80s, I could easily walk to a number of them or get a taxi. Likewise the beach.

As for the people; met some great folks. Sure, there's some lowlifes but as Patts basically exists for one reason they are bound to be found anywhere in town.

Finally, the traffic. It ain't that bad and all you have to do is follow the old Tufty Club Code and walk on the side of the traffic coming towards you. There'a ample space for the cars and peds and if you do as said and don't stroll out too far into the road you won't have a problem. Seen 1 accident here and that is a lot less than I've seen on 2nd Road.

It is a great area, a town in itself with a great atmosphere. If you dislike it coz you think you are superior, you are deluded. There is nothing of any real class in Patts so that excludes you from having any if you are there. If you were as worthy as you belive of an up-scale resort, Patts would not even cross your radar.

Just like you, I know of 50 square metre plus apartments for much the same price, but not in that downmarket area. Rooms with a view.

Just can't imagine actually living in that place. One might like to visit a zoo, but you wouldn't actually want to live there.

The next thing that you will be trying to tell me is that it is in fact, gentrified. One swallow does not a summer make. I can vist Cherrys from a sea view beach road apartment. I don't visit a seaside resort to stay in some back street hovel above a bar. Perhaps it's heaven to you, but I prefer to avoid the inhabitants of your town.

Believe it or not, not everyone visits Pattaya to to take advantage of women of easy virtue and to dine on a poor imitation of English style food.

Just like you, I know of 50 square metre plus apartments for much the same price, but not in that downmarket area. Rooms with a view.

Just can't imagine actually living in that place. One might like to visit a zoo, but you wouldn't actually want to live there.

The next thing that you will be trying to tell me is that it is in fact, gentrified. One swallow does not a summer make. I can vist Cherrys from a sea view beach road apartment. I don't visit a seaside resort to stay in some back street hovel above a bar. Perhaps it's heaven to you, but I prefer to avoid the inhabitants of your town.

Believe it or not, not everyone visits Pattaya to to take advantage of women of easy virtue and to dine on a poor imitation of English style food.

Jiu

What I wanted to say but was too polite.

What do they go there for, then?

If it was Thailand's beautiful beaches, culture, and all the rest that TAT tell us about, they ain't gonna find it in Patttaya. Hua Hin, Cha Am, Phuket, Samui etc, yes. Patts, No!

As for the zoo comparism; I hear there's also snobbism among junkies. "Effin crackheads", sez the smackhead. Seems we got it here, too.

As for the zoo comparism; I hear there's also snobbism among junkies. "Effin crackheads", sez the smackhead. Seems we got it here, too.

:D Couldn't agree more. Sitting in your lovely seaview apartment feeling superior to others. Ah, life is good!

:D Couldn't agree more. Sitting in your lovely seaview apartment feeling superior to others. Ah, life is good!

Not Feeling, Knowing......

Knowing, and loving the view of all the yaba head freelancers strolling along the prom, but if that's your thing, good luck to ya.

Bit down-market for my liking.

I go there to slum. I love slumming.

Next ...

You hit the nail right on the head there J. Love it for the same reason. Soi 6 comparison's are strange - bukaow's not a short time shop window. Have never seen fights there, unlike 8 and 9 although I have seen the reports here. 10 months out of 12 it's a rather a quiet place in my view - virtually dead by 1:30am.

Not Feeling, Knowing......

Knowing, and loving the view of all the yaba head freelancers strolling along the prom, but if that's your thing, good luck to ya.

Bit down-market for my liking.

Don't see them from my place....only the sea and the horizon. How about yourself?

What you are failing to understand is that it has nothing to do with feeling or wanting to be superior to others and more about having some respect for myself.

Perhaps if I lived in a bedsit above a pub in Britain, Soi Bua Khao may seem more attractive. But I don't think so. I would still prefer a room with a nice view and good light.

If you think that is snobbish, that tells more about you, than I.

For instance, on Koh Chang I am more willing to stay in a basic hut; so that I can stay on the beach, than to stay in a well appointed hotel across the road. I prefer the sights and sounds of the sea.

So if I vist a seaside town, I don't want to stay in a back street hovel above a bar. Where is the joy in demeaning yourself in that way?

Perhaps that is from where the analogy of people who have 'done time' appeared. I imagine that it is akin to sitting in a depressing prison cell...with a 42" plasma TV. :)

What do they go there for, then?

If it was Thailand's beautiful beaches, culture, and all the rest that TAT tell us about, they ain't gonna find it in Patttaya. Hua Hin, Cha Am, Phuket, Samui etc, yes. Patts, No!

Erm.... it's a resort town close to the sea. Somewhat like living in Bangkok with all of it facilities and an island.

What hovels and what bar?

As for doing time; the only thing I've ever done with time is wasted it.

And if you like the sea, please show me your sailing qualifications, RYA log, and Admiral's Cup record.

Happy to show you mine. No doubt you'd love the above. Little bit of clarse for ya to tell yer mates darn the golf club you undoubtedly belong to.

Again, though, we diverge.

Keep going sideways. Crabs do like to be beside the seaside.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Perhaps not everyone travels halfway across the world to eat exactly the same cheap rubbish that they would eat in their own country. You can eat well and inexpensively without entering that Soi at all.

It appears that it must become easy to forget ones background when one arrives in Pattaya with the monies from the sale of a two up two down on a run down council estate in Doncaster then builds oneself a detached house for pittance in the middle of or near a slum and begins to believe one is actually affluent, sophisticated and above and beyond all overs when the truth of the matter is, if one really is like one would like to believe one would be living in Monte Carlo not Pattaya.

It appears that it must become easy to forget ones background when one arrives in Pattaya with the monies from the sale of a two up two down on a run down council estate in Doncaster then builds oneself a detached house for pittance in the middle of or near a slum and begins to believe one is actually affluent, sophisticated and above and beyond all overs when the truth of the matter is, if one really is like one would like to believe one would be living in Monte Carlo not Pattaya.

Erm...I live in a large house in the centre of a European capital city. I just visit Pattaya, amongst other places in Thailand.

As much as I enjoyed visiting Monte Carlo, I have no desire to live there. Seems that you are jumping to conclusions, unsuccessfully.

What hovels and what bar?

As for doing time; the only thing I've ever done with time is wasted it.

And if you like the sea, please show me your sailing qualifications, RYA log, and Admiral's Cup record.

Happy to show you mine. No doubt you'd love the above. Little bit of clarse for ya to tell yer mates darn the golf club you undoubtedly belong to.

Again, though, we diverge.

Keep going sideways. Crabs do like to be beside the seaside.

Perhaps you are the exception that proves the rule. I can't imagine there is a single property in Soi Bua Khao that is of interest to me.

Perhaps if some paid for me to stay in the Penthouse of the garish LK Royal Suite, I might oblige. Though overall it's really just an unattractive, downmarket area populated by ne'er-do-wells in their three quarter trousers, football shirts and trainers; together with their equals.

Don't have sailing qualifications, but I don't mind going out on a sailboat at Ocean Marina every now and again.

Don't think that I've have ever touched a golf club.

Perhaps a clue is in the name. ;)

If you enjoy staying in a cheap, but 'posh' room in the Bua Khao area, don't let me discourage you. No doubt you regale the natives with stories of your exploits at sea. What a card!

You can't polish a turd. :) That fact is, you can find cheap accommodation around Pattaya that at least has some character.

Bua Khao is just some kind of Ghetto for foreigners and Thai 'workers'.

Perhaps a clue is in the name. ;)

Aha! Quick Hands!

No doubt used while staring down at the plebian masses from your balcony.

Puts a new meaning on, 'Fiddling while Rome burns.'

Seems you've messed up on that definition too. Perhaps you were thinking of Tae Kwon Do....or perhaps you weren't thinking at all. :)

All joking aside lest this thread turn into a caricature of itself :) ; each to their own. I really don't have something against the soi. i just wouldn't stay there or spend any amount of time hanging around there. Visiting the markets are of interest and I've had a few late night seafood meals at the Marine To'Rung.