Australian Red Shirt Conor David Purcell Wants To Return To Thailand

webfact

He said he was beaten by seven other prisoners in an "ordered assault" and denied medical attention for almost two weeks afterwards.

After the attack he could not walk and had blood in his urine, he said.

He said he was kept in a cell with almost 40 prisoners, some convicted murderers awaiting appeal.

"On the second day, they had seven criminals beat the living shit out of me," he said.

I suddenly have a new found respect for the much maligned Thai legal system. Good on the Warden!

He claims is was an "Ordered Assault", but what are the chances that he was just bashed by the others because he was an annoying pratt and his antics wern't appreciated by the others who had to share a small space with him.

Imagine being locked up with this. :lol:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thing is, visit Thailand, live in Thailand, talk about Thailand - free speech is not allowed.

free speech is enshrined in the Costitution but not enforced.

They use another, unrelated law, to stamp it out.

You need to recheck what it specifically says about "free speech" in the Constitution, because your characterization of it is incorrect and inaccurate. ;)

buddy; you check it out "Freedom of speech in Thailand was guaranteed in the articles 39, 40, 41 in the 1997 Constitution."

It is technically, only, allowed; not in real life.

Are you disagreeing and saying free speech is allowed? or disagreeing and saying is not 'on the books', which it is?

?

thing is, visit Thailand, live in Thailand, talk about Thailand - free speech is not allowed.

free speech is enshrined in the Costitution but not enforced.

They use another, unrelated law, to stamp it out.

There are a number of caveats associated with free speech according to the Constitution of Thailand, which is pretty much the same in most countries.

btw, your reference to a superseded Constitution is outdated. Part of the pitfalls of using Wiki as your source (even if your attempt to link your references to Wiki (in blue) doesn't work).

This dick should get deported from Australia now too... residency and passport; cancelled! back to Ireland and whatever trouble he was running from in the first place.

This cockrroach should stay in China wearing a red flag.....:lol:

Yes he's probably thinking why didnt i get locked up for 3 month and deported after being pictured protesting with the Yellow shirts the other year, maybe its the blatant double standards that he doesnt understand.

Link to him as a yellow -

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8454/img6593f.jpg

Some more details, please. A few years back I got a few yellow shirts from the company I work for here, it was really fashionable for a while to wear them (and beats wearing dress shirt and a tie).

I think you'll find you won't be getting any more details on that photo that was posted with no identification and no news article to go with it. It's also of a man that doesn't look like the photo of him a few posts up from this one.

It's also undated and un-sourced.

Evidently the post that went with it was done so only to obfuscate and to try to apologize for this Australian's crimes by trying a weak shot at the yellows with an unproven and undocumented link.

Ah well, I can understand the Reds frustration, they seem to lose at just about everything they try at.

Or maybe it's the fact he didn't stand onstage with the PAD (if indeed that is him in the photos; most oberservers say no)

As predicted earlier, no further information has been submitted regarding this unidentified, undated, un-sourced, un-verified, un-collaborated, unspecified photo.

^^ Just in case you don't know about the recent elections in Australia:

- a few months ago, the then PM, Kevin Rudd (from Queensland), was ousted by an internal Labor party vote, bringing in Julia Gillard as PM.

- in the elections about 3 weeks ago, the Labor party took a big hit losing about 13 seats (and their majority), mostly in Queensland.

- the Labor party ended up with 72 seats, the Coalition with 73, 1 from the smaller Greens party, and 4 independents.

- after some horse trading, including an offer by the Coalition to 1 independent for a $1 Billion for a hospital in his electorate, Labor ended up with the support of 76 seats giving them a majority.

- the Coalition got more seats and more votes than Labor.

Quite a few similarities to the Thailand situation.

But, amazingly, no talks of bringing petrol to the cities, no armed protests.

And Australia has the same parliamentary system as Thailand.

Edited by whybother

Ok, to take hypothetical example... let's say I'm an American citizen and I'm in Manchester, UK. There's a protest against the government going on and I witness the army showing up to control it, and then firing rubber bullets into the crowd, injuring people. hel_l, since it's hypothetical let's have them fire some live rounds in there as well. Government deny it. I have the chance to speak out about what I saw.

I'm guessing the prevalent attitude here is that because I'm an American in the UK, I should just shut up, right?

I'm not sure I totally agree with that then. But if I did speak up, I'm not understanding why people would be advocating beatings or long prison sentences as a result. unsure.gif

You were staying illegally in UK and took part in an illegal uprising, you are saying that would be perfectly ok?

Further news on Conor Purcell's plans back in Australia ...

Conor Purcell is organising a protest of the recent Australian election result where the "unelected" Labor party have formed government after buying the support of 2 independent MPs.

Even though the Coalition (Liberal and National parties) got more votes and more seats, the Labor party have used a "parliamentary trick" of having the support of more MPs to elect the PM.

Mr Purcell is organising to transport poor farmers from the North and North East of Australia (ie Queensland), known as red-necks, who generally support the coalition parties and were also angered by the parliamentary coup when Queenslander Kevin Rudd was voted out of his position as Prime Minister.

They plan to protest in front of parliament house in Canberra, with their demands for the "unelected" government to immediately step down and call new elections.

If the government do not submit to their demands, they will then move to the central business district and popular tourist area of central Sydney (as they would be ignored if they blockaded central Canberra). They will also take their protest to the government controlled television station, the ABC.

Following his experience from the Bangkok protests, Mr Purcell will also ensure protesters are placed in Centrepoint tower, giving 360 degree views of the protest area, and on the mono-rail tracks around the city centre.

If the government try to send in the police or army to disperse the protesters, they have put in place plans to burn down the expensive shopping centre, the Queen Victoria Building (QVB).

Well put and of course the Aussie police would just sit back and let it all happen like the BiB did in Bangkok, or even announce on TV that they were going to raid the headquarters on a good while before they did.

Ok, to take hypothetical example... let's say I'm an American citizen and I'm in Manchester, UK. There's a protest against the government going on and I witness the army showing up to control it, and then firing rubber bullets into the crowd, injuring people. hel_l, since it's hypothetical let's have them fire some live rounds in there as well. Government deny it. I have the chance to speak out about what I saw.

I'm guessing the prevalent attitude here is that because I'm an American in the UK, I should just shut up, right?

I'm not sure I totally agree with that then. But if I did speak up, I'm not understanding why people would be advocating beatings or long prison sentences as a result. unsure.gif

You were staying illegally in UK and took part in an illegal uprising, you are saying that would be perfectly ok?

That is the crux of the simple argument :

The protest rally was illegal,

and foreigners were warned in advance that joining the rally

would make them libel for prosecution.

He did it anyway.

He was prosecuted, at sent packing for breaking the law.

Aye, fair enough, I understand that. Which is why I raised a hypothetical situation, because I was interested in whether people thought there was ever a place for foreigners to speak out when they're not in their own country or not. In retrospect I should have probably chosen a much better hypothetical situation that didn't mirror the one in Bangkok, or just asked the question without muddying the waters with fake scenarios.

Still, doesn't mean he needed the s*** kicked out of him

He basically says he was beaten within an inch of his life on the 2nd day after his arrest.

Yet, here on a May 28th court appearance, there's no outward evidence of the massive beating he claims and no mention of the beating at that time:

conorpurcell1420x0.jpg

Australian launches tirade in Thai court

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-launches-tirade-in-thai-court-20100527-whrn.html

r5726193546040.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/25/2909169.htm

look closely at the two pics, see the lighter colour discrepancy on the top of the head, the difference in hair , his upper skull was smashed beyond repair and they fixed him with a wax replacement ; inside was filled with kao pat ; which explains why some find him smarter of the experience.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

Conor Purcell is organising a protest of the recent Australian election result where the "unelected" Labor party have formed government after buying the support of 2 independent MPs.

Even though the Coalition (Liberal and National parties) got more votes and more seats, the Labor party have used a "parliamentary trick" of having the support of more MPs to elect the PM.

Mr Purcell is organising to transport poor farmers from the North and North East of Australia (ie Queensland), known as red-necks, who generally support the coalition parties and were also angered by the parliamentary coup when Queenslander Kevin Rudd was voted out of his position as Prime Minister.

They plan to protest in front of parliament house in Canberra, with their demands for the "unelected" government to immediately step down and call new elections.

If the government do not submit to their demands, they will then move to the central business district and popular tourist area of central Sydney (as they would be ignored if they blockaded central Canberra). They will also take their protest to the government controlled television station, the ABC.

Following his experience from the Bangkok protests, Mr Purcell will also ensure protesters are placed in Centrepoint tower, giving 360 degree views of the protest area, and on the mono-rail tracks around the city centre.

If the government try to send in the police or army to disperse the protesters, they have put in place plans to burn down the expensive shopping centre, the Queen Victoria Building (QVB).

Well put and of course the Aussie police would just sit back and let it all happen like the BiB did in Bangkok, or even announce on TV that they were going to raid the headquarters on a good while before they did.

Excellent post.....

Mr Purcell also invites any Thai tourist who may be in Australia at the time to join in, make speeches and burn and loot a few of the local landmarks and businesses.

Edited by waza

What an idiot, or does he have mental health issues? Not content with alleging a fake consipracy against the government of Thailand (they "could have" planted drugs, but they didn't did they?) he now wants to take on the Australian government.

At least the other Red Shirt British gentleman has had the decency to shut his mouth about it once he was deported.

But you must remember he is of Irish descent. :rolleyes:

And.......................................................

A funny example of a scenario. Would like to see that happen.

Additionally, he asks some farmers to bring along some jerry cans of fuel just for kicks.

Edited by stevecm

Make no mistake about it, this fool would be taken down and taken down very hard. :lol:

Uhhhh...yeah.

I think it's a brilliant idea to let him return to Thailand. Really. And while he's at it, I wonder if he could go to Montenegro to pick up another passenger to come back with him? I'm sure we can all roll-out the red carpet for these two and have a nice piñata party on arrival? I'll bring the punch.

So many self styled victims of a Thai jail sentence have made money from books and he may be the next.

Facts are simple enough. Over stay of visa can get you 3 months jail whether or not you also break Emergency Decrees regulations.

He did both and got off lightly.

The beating- if true - could have been the result of almost anything and authorities don't have to set it up.

Attention hound is my best guess at his personality.

Good at least he's doing it in his own country this time, where he actually has political rights, remember guests in this country on a tourist or non-immigrant visa(like me) do not enjoy political rights here..it is simply inappropriate to take sides in a power struggle in a foreign country when you are a guest.. imagine non-english speaking Chinese or Saudi or Russians attending a 'Tea Party' gathering in the US, and then getting up on stage and making a speech in a foreign language, or attending the democratic national convntion..it's just so stupid

** NEWSFLASH ** NEWSFLASH ** NEWSFLASH **

The former PM Kevin Rudd has been named as Minister of Foreign Affairs. Some see this as a purely political move to placate Mr. C. Purcell and his fellow protesters.

** NEWSFLASH ** NEWSFLASH ** NEWSFLASH **

(edit: move reply up)

Edited by rubl

But, amazingly, no talks of bringing petrol to the cities, no armed protests.

And Australia has the same parliamentary system as Thailand.

I agree, but I would have to say that Australian citizens do not tolerate corruption in the same way Thailand does. Whenever corruption arises it gets voted out and/or jailed at the earliest opportunity. So do attempts at autocracy - look at what happened to Kevin Rudd.

The less power individual politicians have, the better off the citizens are.

What an idiot, or does he have mental health issues? Not content with alleging a fake consipracy against the government of Thailand (they "could have" planted drugs, but they didn't did they?) he now wants to take on the Australian government.

At least the other Red Shirt British gentleman has had the decency to shut his mouth about it once he was deported.

But you must remember he is of Irish descent. :rolleyes:

Keep your racist remarks to yourself

Stating the mans ethnicity is hardly a racist comment. And he himself refers to the bloody Sunday massacre in Ireland! As far as I'm concerned he is Irish by birth with Australian citizenship and WRONGLY involved himself in the politics of a third country. <deleted> was he doing there on April 10 to get shot by rubber bullets anyway! Unfortunately this moron will now make appearances on Australian TV and in magazines and get handsomely paid for his trouble. I can think of easier ways to make a quid!

The guy claims he was beaten on orders in Thai prison, but if he behaved in prison the way he behaved in public I expect the beating (if given) was not ordered but deserved.

Still, doesn't mean he needed the s*** kicked out of him

He basically says he was beaten within an inch of his life on the 2nd day after his arrest.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3640339

Yet, here on a May 28th court appearance, there's no outward evidence of the massive beating he claims and no mention of the beating at that time:

conorpurcell1420x0.jpg

<Snipped for brevity>

While from the picture it does look as if he had several large objects shoved up his arse, I uderstand that this is standard practice in the shower room and he got no special treatment. I'd say the only time he was beaten was when the jail had its annual prisoner IQ contest.

On facebook "Words from CORNOR DAVID PURCELL about Thailand's judical system", 15th of September 2010

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=152511194771134

Just to wet your appetite:

"This government's actions are horrendous, they are now denying the right of the populace to an election citing security reasons, claiming the reason for the full scale military assault on May 19th (that brought massive death and destruction to a peaceful area) was to maintain the rule of law.

"

(assuming posting facebook links is allowed?)

On facebook "Words from CORNOR DAVID PURCELL about Thailand's judical system", 15th of September 2010

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=152511194771134

Just to wet your appetite:

"This government's actions are horrendous, they are now denying the right of the populace to an election citing security reasons, claiming the reason for the full scale military assault on May 19th (that brought massive death and destruction to a peaceful area) was to maintain the rule of law.

"

(assuming posting facebook links is allowed?)

Jokes should be posted in the Pub sub-forum. ;)

According to the news reports at the time, Mr Purcell had no passport, no visa, no money and was thus on overstay. Regardless of his naive involvement in the rally, he had broken several laws and was lucky to have got off with a trip back home.

Be a good lad and stay down under mate. :rolleyes:

According to the news reports at the time, Mr Purcell had no passport, no visa, no money and was thus on overstay. Regardless of his naive involvement in the rally, he had broken several laws and was lucky to have got off with a trip back home.

Be a good lad and stay down under mate. :rolleyes:

Mr Purcell,through his actions, is obviously in need of professional counselling and ongoing treatment.I am sure when he presents himself to Centrelink the system will look after him.

His chances of returning here would be zero unless he sneaks across the border form another country. He has had his 5 minutes of fame and will soon be a distant ,memory