Clothes In Xl, Ll... How Depressing!

Hey girls,

before coming to Bangkok I thought of this city as shopper's paradise. Having moved here now, I am happy about every t-shirt, skirts etc. I have brought with me from Europe...

Where do you girls buy clothes???? I am tired of asking for 'big size', trying all the XLs and LLs and still nothing fits me. Back home I am in the middle range, usually buying a 40 or 42.

I have found a skirt and a t-shirt here, but both were imported and quite expensive. I don't want to pay 2000 Baht+ for every ordinary t-shirt I buy. Is there any place where a 'normal' western woman can go for non-expensive, nice things? Or is that an oximoron??

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look around you and form an opinion how many Thai women do you see who are your size -- not many. Therefore there is no demand for such sizes generally in Thailand. Most western women are tourists therefore the Thai market is geared up for them - they come on holiday and many take the oppoutrunity to have clothes made bespoke or buy some designer imports- something they could not afford at home. But is relatively cheap for a one off holiday treat -but is not cheap for an expat. Generally speaking the laws of supply and demand are at work, unfortunatley there is no great demand for what you want therefore they are hard to fiind.

Alex is right, the market for "normal sized" western clothes is a problenm for men & women in thailand as the demand just isn't there. A thai freind who was larger than thai average once told me of an outlet mall place near the airport that had bigger sized clothes & she always looked fantastic, the range & styles were up to date & well made. I don't know exactly where it was but there have to be people who know, anyone???

Well, maybe in Bangkok everyone is teeny weeny but down here many of the women are the same size as me (I wear a medium at home, an XL here, go figure) or larger. I am hardly large even by Thai standards. One of our staff is short (under 5'!) but buxom. She has a heck of a time finding clothes. Here, at least, the older women wear sarongs. ugh. I buy my clothes at home, they are a better quality, last longer and fit better.

I think the idea that all Thai women are small is a fallacy, at least here in the South where the women (and men) tend to be bigger. My sister-in-law is taller than my husband (she wears muu-muus, double ugh).

I totally agree with sbk that it's a fallacy that all thai women are small and therefore that's why you can't find clothes in your size. This may have been almost true about 25 years ago when I first started coming to thailand. When my thai husband brought me here the first time I felt like a giant, but now that I've lived here two years, I see lots of thai women way bigger than me...........and I'm still wondering where the heck they get their clothes.

I did hear that Robinson's Dept. store carries western sizes, but have no idea of the price, and I'm like the rest of you don't want to pay 2000 baht for something I can get at Wal Mart when I'm in the states for way cheaper, and it fits better and last longer and guess what, it was made in Thailand!!! go figure.

Beachbunny

Grow up you are much larger than the vast majority of Thai woman that is a fact - Robinson as metioned ealier does stock large sizes but at vastley infalted prices - the reverse also happens my wife in the UK has to shop in teen stores to find her sizes she thinks its great - and still remains the sexiest 32 year old on the block. Realise the situation you are in and adapt if there was no problem then this post would not exsist.

I must also point out that obesity in the USA is endemic- maybe we should all look inwardly at the true cause of the issue before looking outwards. Would it be better to shed 3 dress sizes then all would be cushty - all it takes is will power and effort - and you are in one of the easiest enviorments in the world to make it happen. Take charge of your personal situation and transform your life.

Edited by alex100

Grow up  you are much larger than the vast majority of Thai woman that is a fact - Robinson as metioned ealier does stock large sizes but at vastley infalted prices - the reverse also happens my wife in the UK has to shop in teen stores to find her sizes she thinks its great - and still remains the sexiest 32 year old on the block. Realise the situation you are in and adapt if there was no problem then this post would not exsist.

I must also point out that obesity in the USA is endemic- maybe we should all look inwardly at the true cause of the issue before looking outwards. Would it be better to shed 3 dress sizes then all would be cushty - all it takes is will power and effort - and you are in one of the easiest enviorments in the world to make it happen. Take charge of your personal situation and transform your life.

Uh, was there a photo or some measurements listed by the OP or other posters that I missed somewhere that allows you to make such a judgment and call people "much larger"?

As far as "adapting", do you think we should shave a few inches off of our height too? Can it be done with diet and exercise or does it require surgery? Maybe using some of that diet powder will help. (BTW, use of those diet aids is quickly becoming a health crisis in Thailand.)

Now that I am done ranting, I will give some actual helpful advice to the OP. Try Tesco Lotus, they often have some imported clothing at a good price. Central has a clothing store called Brown in some locations. The one in Lad Prao has mostly career wardrobe stuff but reasonable, wait for a big sale and stock up. The only place you may get street vendor prices are at some clothing stalls in Chatujak market. I have found the best assortment of sizes there (versus other outdoor markets) but unfortunately can't give anything that would resemble good directions.

I have pants made by a local tailor from fabric I bought in Bangkok (where there's more choice than in Nakhon Si Thammarat), this way they actually fit well.

I buy T's at Tesco, Robinson is a little pricey.

I think it is very simplistic and arrogant for a man to say to any one, man or woman that:

"all it takes is will power and effort - and you are in one of the easiest environments in the world to make it happen. Take charge of your personal situation and transform your life."

the initial post has nothing to do with being unhappy with one's body but rather unhappy with the lack of choice.

Most ready made clothes here seemed to be directed at smaller size market in general but there are many larger size Thais around. Many seem to get their clothes made up as tailors are so cheap. So check out the fabric stores and the possibilities are endless.

Not all farangs are large by the way just to put the record straight! But in Thailand I have more competition for the 27-28" waist jeans on discount that's for sure - gotta be quick otherwise only 32" upwards left.

I, for the first time in my life take an 'L' now that I am in Thailand but I find that they are often too wide across the shoulders, too small in the actual arm holes and too tight across the bust.

And Alex: who want to be a mature woman and look like we did when we were twelve or thirteen years old.

We like looking like women as opposed to 'girls'.

OK?

I am 6ft & although found some problems with getting clothes that would fit my bust (large) there was stuff out there which I occasionally found (in samui) but did find it impossible to find anything to fit my length so I tended to buy all of my clothes in the UK as there is nothing worse than ankle fighting trousers :D

Now I wonder how I could have 'Realise the situation you are in and adapt if there was no problem then this post would not exsist. " as there isn't really much you can do if nature blessed you with being tall? And having a busty figure has always been a bonus for every guy I've ever known :D

As for alex100's post, I didn't read anything about the op being from the US or even see a photo of her so am a bit confused as to the last part of the statement. :o And for the record, my husband thinks I'm the sexiest 30y/o on the block as he likes his women to look like women & certainly wouldn't be seen dead with me dressed like a teenage girl. :D

Grow up??? Are you serious?? Beware the assumptions you make about people you don't even know and have never met. I am an average height, average size but certainly "well-built". So what am I supposed to do, get a breast reduction so I can wear clothes here? Alex100, next time THINK before posting.

Suggest also that maybe it's time you opened your eyes to all the different sizes and shapes that make up Thai people.

Back to the topic at hand: Agreed on t-shirts and tanks at Tescos, forget Pratunam as even one of our staff who is stick thin finds those clothes small. I like Gisele's idea about getting pants made (trousers for you brits!) too bad I live on an island and dressy for me is clean shorts and a t-shirt :o

Grow up  you are much larger than the vast majority of Thai woman that is a fact - Robinson as metioned ealier does stock large sizes but at vastley infalted prices - the reverse also happens my wife in the UK has to shop in teen stores to find her sizes she thinks its great - and still remains the sexiest 32 year old on the block. Realise the situation you are in and adapt if there was no problem then this post would not exsist.

:o:D Just reminded me of an incident that happened when I was on the plane from BKK to Tokyo. One overweight American guy commented to another overweight American guy something along the lines of "Show me an American woman over 30 who weighs less than 150 pounds and I'll give you 50 bucks" First reaction was "well, show me the money bozo, I am 39 and weigh 130" second reaction was "LOOK IN THE MIRROR". :D

Come to think of it, I should have said something. That guy owes me 50 bucks. :D

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies and the tips; I will definitely make use of them them. And thanks also for telling Alex that he is the only one around this forum that still has some ‘growing’ to do.

And if anybody knows the best dietary tips for how to get shorter arms and legs and most importantly: smaller breast… I will be happy to know so that I can really ‘adapt’. :o

Cheers

And if anybody knows the best dietary tips for how to get shorter arms and legs and most importantly: smaller breast… I will be happy to know so that I can really ‘adapt’. biggrin.gif

:D thats the spirit girl, I'm sure after you have been around town a while longer, you'll know the best places to get clothes that suit your build & if not then surgery is obviously an option :o:D

And I suppose you are the authority on this right???Seems like I see just as many grossly overweight thai people in thailand these days,something I never used to see here. Most of the foreign men I see around have a good size belly hanging over there pants waist too.

Look buster I may be pushing 54, and am 5 foot 5, but I only wear a size 6 so if that's overweight and bigger than most thais these days, you can just eat my grits!!!!

Beachbunny

And I suppose you are the authority on this right???Seems like I see just as many grossly overweight thai people in thailand these days,something I never used to see here. Most of the foreign men I see around have a good size belly hanging over there pants waist too.

Look buster I may be pushing 54, and am 5 foot 5, but I only wear a size 6 so if that's overweight and bigger than most thais these days, you can just eat my grits!!!!

Beachbunny

:o

Please Alex...... I am a size 0 thats a zero in the U.S. and I go to shops here that say oh madam you XL. Between the house and the offiec I have 4 Thai maids that are all bigger then I am. I am sooooooooooo tried of hearing how all of us western women are fat lazy bitches. Besides this is a forum for women so get the ###### out of here. Or are you here because you are looking for a western woman???

Hey girls,

before coming to Bangkok I thought of this city as shopper's paradise. Having moved here now, I am happy about every t-shirt, skirts etc. I have brought with me from Europe...

Where do you girls buy clothes???? I am tired of asking for 'big size', trying all the XLs and LLs and still nothing fits me. Back home I am in the middle range, usually buying a 40 or 42.

I have found a skirt and a t-shirt here, but both were imported and quite expensive. I don't want to pay 2000 Baht+ for every ordinary t-shirt I buy. Is there any place where a 'normal' western woman can go for non-expensive, nice things? Or is that an oximoron??

Try Pratunam milliners market opposite the Indra regent hotel .plenty of choice the for the chubbier person male or female they will even make blouses and dresses while you wait all at super prices,nignoy

you can just eat my grits!!!!

Beachbunny

Outstanding, BB! :o

Hey girls,

Try Pratunam milliners market opposite the Indra regent hotel .plenty of choice the for the chubbier person male or female they will even make blouses and dresses while you wait all at super prices,nignoy

The person writing this is just as bad as Alex, assuming we are all chubby!! :o

We just want a place to buy clothes that aren't outrageously expensive and clothes that fit; doesn't mean we are all chubby. Why are we all being generalized? You ASSUME too much Ms/Mr Nignoy! sheeesh!!!

Beachbunny

If you just want T's try the "X-LARGE" chain of outlet shops, (and don't whinge at me I did not name them) they sell stuff made for big US clothiers like GAP, AMERICAN EAGLE, ABERCROMBIE et al.

Decent T-shirts, kind of funky, and cheap B150-300.

You can find them in SILOM COMPLEX, CENTRAL RAMA 3,

and I have seen others but forgot where.

Beachbunny

Go for the jugular beach bunny!

I agree totally. I am just as small if not smaller than many Thai women here... but, it's the shape. We have hips and shoulders and things! Also, it's not the size that counts. I find it difficult to find clothes here at a reasonable price that don't make me look like a farang woman in disguise as a Thai lady!

And when I do have clothes "tailor-made"... I look like BAG LADY :o when in actual fact I have a great figure. Difficult!

Hey girls,

The person writing this is just as bad as Alex, assuming we are all chubby!! :o

We just want a place to buy clothes that aren't outrageously expensive and clothes that fit; doesn't mean we are all chubby. Why are we all being generalized? You ASSUME too much Ms/Mr Nignoy! sheeesh!!!

Beachbunny

Was not meant to be a slur or a comment about your obvious complex about your size,you are obviously to lazy or to stupid to ask directions , there are plenty of shops and stalls who sell good quality millinery for under 800baht in bangkok, :D nignoy

If you just want T's try the "X-LARGE" chain of outlet shops, (and don't whinge at me I did not name them) they sell stuff  made for big US clothiers like GAP, AMERICAN EAGLE, ABERCROMBIE et al. 

Decent  T-shirts, kind of funky, and cheap B150-300. 

And where can we find one of those X-LARGE outlet stores? Thanks

If you just want T's try the "X-LARGE" chain of outlet shops, (and don't whinge at me I did not name them) they sell stuff  made for big US clothiers like GAP, AMERICAN EAGLE, ABERCROMBIE et al. 

Decent  T-shirts, kind of funky, and cheap B150-300. 

And where can we find one of those X-LARGE outlet stores? Thanks

easy just open your eyes !! and your mouth ask people, Pratunam,Lumpini Night Market, even weekends at Chatuchak :D Nignoy

I know you were asking about Thailand. But if you ever find yourself on a visa run to Penang, Malaysia- Check out Gurney Plaza. The shops on the lower floors are expensive but there is a good "Reject Shop" upstairs and an East India shop (a cheaper version of British India) The quality, styles and prices were impressive compared to what you see here in Thailand.

It seems our sisters in the south have more western figures (East Indian) or at least some better clothes that fit us. They also have a great selection for the western man with many big sizes. My Thai husband had a hard time finding anything!

And to you, Alex. I have seen far more overweight farang men here in the LOS then then farang women. I have yet to see one farang girl/woman who weighs twice the size of her partner. :o

I usally see it, the other way around.

Any way, In the last 3 years I’ve picked up a few real nice pieces in Penang and then had them copied here in Thailand by my friends who are tailors.

All in all, Gurney is a great place to enjoy for a day.

:D