Clothes In Xl, Ll... How Depressing!

Hey again,

By now I have found some stuff that fits well, it just takes time and patience. Central is always a good option, then Pena House, Jaspal,, Jim Thomson or Georges Reich...

There is only one thing I really can't find: jeans that are long enough. I wear mostly levi's and need them to be either lenght 34 or 36. In central chitlom they say women's jeans are only available until length 32 in Thailand... I usually distrust anybody saying "in Thailand...." and this particular statement seems quite ridiculous. So girls: where can you get jeans in a decent lenght?

Thanks, zata

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can go to MBK to get fake Diesel and some Japanese brand. Most of them are probably not long enough, but some of them will be. Although, they all come in lenght 32, there's huge differences in them and some are actually 34 or longer. Also original Miss 60's are sometimes long (35 I think) but they expensive, above 5000 baht.

• 2 months later...

I buy all my undies on my yearly trip home--they just fit better, are usually a bettter quality and last longer. I prefer unpadded lightweight cotton bras and cotton underpants and those are nearly impossible to find here.

sbk is right, I have a DD cup size & they are impossible to get with a good fit in nice materials & the ones I did find in the depaertment stors in BKK were all imported from europe anyway & cost more :o Bring from home & it wil be a good excuse for a pre holiday spending spree. :D

my biggest problem here (and sounds like i am not the only one) is that, despite having lost a ton of weight since i got here and thus a couple of bra sizes, i can buy an innocent shirt that looks normal on any flat chested thai girl and it ends up looking obscene on me. i have been trying to order some stuff online- we'll see if it ever gets to me. within thailand the only place i can really find clothes is in tokyo center or robinsons, also a store call xact that they have in several of the malls-- even though all are utterly lacking in imagination, at least they sort of fit.

Edited by girlx

Very cool to hear you all discussing this. I am 5' 10" and not enormous on top but above average for Asia. I had a comlex for years about it. Like SBK and BOO said, either shop at home or ask a friend to send a parcel of bras and cotton pants once a year.

As a matter of interest, where I live, on a Muslim (99.9%) island, some of the Malay style tops can be rather flattering and they do fit!

When I was in Hat Yai, I was shopping almost every day - never had any real problems finding the right size (although it was almost the very largest they had) Now in Samui having been here a few months already, I have not purchased a single thing on the island - the sizes are stupid. I get all my things sent from England, especially bras and knickers - and on a trip to Singapore stocked up on enough Topshop and Zara stuff to last me about 2 years!!!! (just have to deal with the small credit card problem now!)

maybe you could look at it like this, if a thai girl was in Europe she would have to shop in the childrens section at target.

Not very fair is it. :o

Not in the US, there are plenty of petite clothes and xs sizes.

The problem I have is buying clothes for my staff --they all want something from the US and one is your "typical" Thai girl (whatever that is)--small breasted and skinny while the other girl is short (5 ft) and buxom (well rounded we tell her- not fat just curvy). I think she would fit in a medium but I'd hate to buy her something only to find it fits too tight across the chest.

Yep, in the UK we have normal size, petite & tall in most clothes shops now & contrary to popular beleif there are a large % of UK women who are smaller than thai women & they get their clothes from somewhere right? So I dont' think it is too much to ask for a country with such a large influx of europeans to provide normal western size clothing as well as normal thai size clothing.

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies and the tips; I will definitely make use of them them. And thanks also for telling Alex that he is the only one around this forum that still has some ‘growing’ to do.

And if anybody knows the best dietary tips for how to get shorter arms and legs and most importantly: smaller breast… I will be happy to know so that I can really ‘adapt’.  :o

Cheers

Why would you want smaller breasts and shorter limbs?

Yep, in the UK we have normal size, petite & tall in most clothes shops now & contrary to popular beleif there are a large % of UK women who are smaller than thai women & they get their clothes from somewhere right? So I dont' think it is too much to ask for a country with such a large influx of europeans to provide normal western size clothing as well as normal thai size clothing.

Exactly Boo! For a country that keeps increasing its quota of foreign tourists by up to 20% per year (incl. a supposed TAT campaign to attract lone-female travellers), one could assume that the local entrepreneurs may "eventually" catch onto the existence of a huge niche market and supply western sizes to the high-spending tourism sector that the Thai authorities are so keen to bring to LOS........ big breath!!!........ (ok rant over) :o

*sigh*

There's no hope at all for those of us who actually ARE fat finding clothes that will fit.

My solution: I'm bringing an excellent sewing machine, which I will have converted to 220/50 Hz before I depart, in an authorized sewing machine repair shop, with a genuine original manufacturer motor for Europe, as computerized controls are at risk. I'm bringing a selection of patterns for jumpers, pajamas, t-shirts, and dresses. I'm bringing my sewing skill, which includes night school classes in pattern alteration and design, as well as tailoring, that I took while in high school. (My college prep class schedule didn't let me fit them in during the day.) I will be making a LOT of my own clothes, but I did in high school, so it's no big deal to me.

I lose weight in Thailand without any dieting. I am losing weight here in the US, too, now that the doc finally diagnosed my diabetes -no wonder I was constantly hungry, my body was starving no matter how much I ate. There is no way I will ever be smaller than a size 10, and even that is unlikely. I'm skin and bones at that weight. My hope is the US average size, 14. A 12 is what I wore before I began gaining weight. And even a 12 is an XL in Thailand, while it is a medium in the US. Ah, to have a waist again...I dream...

Diabetes is a tough one alright, a friend of mine was hypoglycemic and had similar weight problems. Once she was diagnosed and changed her diet she lost alot of weight, felt better and had more energy. Altho it took her nearly falling into a hypoglycemic coma to get diagnosed!

Back to the topic at hand: Agreed on t-shirts and tanks at Tescos, forget Pratunam as even one of our staff who is stick thin finds those clothes small. I like Gisele's idea about getting pants made (trousers for you brits!) too bad I live on an island and dressy for me is clean shorts and a t-shirt :o

Actually, wandering through the guts of Pratunam market (not the outside bit, which was awful) I found a pile of lovely clothing that fit me. I'm a 14-16 in Australia (don't know how that translates to other countries' sizes, but it's the average size here). Some of the shirts are "men's shirts" but they drape over a female figure very well. I also got some lovely skirts and even a pair of jeans!

Just another point- a few pages back a number of people were claiming that those who fit an XL, even farang women, must do so because they're fat. (And how they/their wives/whoever were much smaller through fantastic diet and exercise)

I'm overweight now, but that doesn't change my Thai sizing much. When I was scrawny as anything but an adolescent highly competitive athlete, I would have been an XL here due to broad shoulders and wide hipbones... not "big boned" in the way where someone is a bit chubby (like I am now), but big boned in that I had bones sticking out everywhere which made it impossible to fit into Thai sizes.

On the other hand, I have a guy friend who'd probably fit into S or M Thai sizes (width-wise) despite being 6'4".

I was recently told by some of my bustier friends that Lotus is now carrying larger size bra's ( these are women who wear a D cup) They normally had to bring everything back from the US or UK.

I looked at some of these bras when one of mine up and died on me- they were hideous! Looked fairly solid in construction but I can't imagine many women below 50 wanting to wear the ones I saw.

Edited by nephron