Here'S One I Haven'T Heard Before.

Tod Daniels

Yesterday I was on the Sky Train comin' from Mor Chit to Asok. Now it was chok-a-blok with people, I mean we were packed in worse than sardines in a can of mustard sauce <_< .

Anyway, at Siam Station a uni-gurl obviously from Chula got on. Now judging from the length (or lack there of :o ) of her black skirt she was either working on her masters degree, or was on the "10 year plan" for graduation.

It is my experience that the longer a thai gurl goes to a university, the shorter her skirt will become :blink: , until at some point, possibly working on her PhD, she can no longer even sit down, and just props herself in the corner of the classroom. B) At that point in time, her skirt is too short to allow anything but standing. Sitting, bending, crouching down to retrieve dropped objects are all OUT! :o

When she got on the train, there was another bunch of young-ish thais crowded around the door, and I swear she said, "เถิบน้อยซิค่ะ". Now when she said it, everyone of those kids scooched over a tiny bit and made room. However, I cannot find the meaning of the word เถิบ. One thai I questioned last nite said it is a shortened version of กระเถิบ and carries the same meaning as ขยับ or เขยิบ (BUT not to be confused with the word ขมิบ, which I utter all to often, when I mix up my words, lol). ...

When I asked if เถิบ could be used to make people move a little bit, they said as long as you used น้อย with it, and ended in the polite particle ครับ it was okay. Even when using the imperative ซิ, which I always thought meant it more as a command than a polite request.

Anyone else heard this before? Just checking, as small frozen hi-value phrases are something I keep on hand to use without having to think about what I'm saying. :D

• Like 1

Plenty of other students frequent SSq apart from Chula ones. There are three ways to tell a girl is from Chula - 1. the pin on the right side of her chest; 2. the buttons on her shirt and 3. the buckle on her belt.

As for length of study - MA and Phd students don't wear uniforms.

Lexitron has

กระเถิบ

[V] move slightly; move; budge; make way; move around S.เขยิบ Ex. กองกำลังติดอาวุธกระเถิบเข้าใกล้เมืองหลวงแล้ว

(NECTEC Lexitron 2 TH-EN)

so sounds like your source is good. I'll try it out on the mrs when I get home, see what kind of a look it gets me (often the best barometer of a phrase's appropriateness without needing a word of explanation :) ).

Edited by SoftWater

เถิบหน่อยซิคะ ... works, but it's pretty uncommon. It would be more common as you mentioned to hear ขยับหน่อย or เขยิบหน่อย (Note.. หน่อย not น้อย)

would it be useful more only in this specific seated situation as this seems to be the ris definition:

กระเถิบ /กฺระ-เถิบ/[กริยา] เขยิบก้นไปจากที่.

With เขยีบ I was taught that it needs to be used with a direction phrase, either

เขยิบไปหน่อย (move over to make room for me) or

เขยิบเข้ามา (move closer, snuggle up)

I wonder if this would equally apply to เถิบ ?

Edited by SoftWater

I think เถิบ / กระเถิบหน่อยซิค่ะ is often used by female in the situation you mentioned.

Male can also use either of them but ขยับ or เขยิบ sounds O.K. for any time/ anyone.

The word ช่วย prior to the phrase will make it more proper / more polite for asking others to do what you wish.

ช่วยขยับหน่อยครับ / ช่วยเขยิบนิดหนึ่งนะครับ

It is not uncommon. It is just uncommon on the BTS and Bangkok. It is very common in Isarn. However, when north easterners come to Bangkok they often try to avoid using their native tongue so they are not thought of as bahnnork (talking about students and office worker types, not construction workers). Kudos to the girl for showing pride in her heritage.

Forgot to say that it means to move up or move over a bit.

Edited by GarryP

I don't think เถิบ is really a regionalism, though it very well may be more common in the provinces. My Bangkok born-and-bred wife uses it not infrequently. And just last night we had a friend who is a หม่อมหลวง (Mom Luang; a royal title) and her young son over, and she also used it to tell her son to scoot over. So it definitely isn't one of those give-away regional words.