Samui Immigration

I have ready many posts that are negative towards Samui Immigration and was a bit apprehensive before going there on Wednesday.

But was greeted by a happy smiling girl at reception who checked all my paperwork, took my photo's and done any required photocopying.

Within 10 minutes i was interviewed by a very pleasant but efficient immigration officer, and about an hour later i was heading back to Chaweng.

Thank you Samui Immigration 10 out of 10 for friendlyness and professionalism. :clap2:

Edited by mufcsamui

I can draw only three possible conclusions from your statement:

1. You work for Samui Immigration

2. You paid 10K for your extension thinking that was the correct fee -- you get a smile and a wai for that

3. You just filed the ninety day report, which they never hassle you on, and is free-of-charge

I would rather have a root canal and colonoscopy simultaneously than visit them!

Yes agree, something not right here / there. :unsure:

I never have a problem at the Samui Immigration. I always get good service, never pay more than the normal extension fee of 1900 baht and when my mom was in ICU and I needed a re-entry permit asap to catch a flight to go home to see her the staff made sure I got in and out in less than ten minutes despite the full office.

I never have a problem at the Samui Immigration. I always get good service, never pay more than the normal extension fee of 1900 baht and when my mom was in ICU and I needed a re-entry permit asap to catch a flight to go home to see her the staff made sure I got in and out in less than ten minutes despite the full office.

With all due respect sbk.

Your circumstances are a bit different to the average punter.

You have been dealing with them for a long time so they figure that you know the procedures and fees.

You are an attractive woman :whistling: so that might help.

You have a Thai Husband so that might prevent them from trying it on.

Personally when dealing with Samui Immigration I always found them extremely friendly and helpful. In fact over and above what they should have been.

The only issue I had was the rate of their fees.

• Like 1

True true, I have been going to that office longer than anyone who has been working there and they do seem better with the longer term people. But I just felt it needed pointing out they are not perhaps as evil as some would make out. The kindness and consideration I encountered was not a first, a good friend of mine was pregnant and not only did they make sure she was comfortable they helped to make sure she did not have to do a visa run while heavily pregnant.

Maybe the Scammers had reached their target for the month and were on holiday . :whistling:

There is no reason to believe the "scamming" ever stops at Samui immigration. By most accounts it has been getting far worse because they are aware that here they are a total law unto themselves.

True true, I have been going to that office longer than anyone who has been working there and they do seem better with the longer term people. But I just felt it needed pointing out they are not perhaps as evil as some would make out. The kindness and consideration I encountered was not a first, a good friend of mine was pregnant and not only did they make sure she was comfortable they helped to make sure she did not have to do a visa run while heavily pregnant.

Good stories such as yours are always good to hear. Sadly they are very few and far between. Most others merely witness being extorted. And i'll tell you something else, try informing them as to the correct price you should be paying and see how quickly those fake smiles change to a very different look. I'm not sure evil is the right word, but thieves, criminals and general low lifes would pretty much hit the mark.

• Like 1

Good stories such as yours are always good to hear. Sadly they are very few and far between. Most others merely witness being extorted. And i'll tell you something else, try informing them as to the correct price you should be paying and see how quickly those fake smiles change to a very different look. I'm not sure evil is the right word, but thieves, criminals and general low lifes would pretty much hit the mark.

As I mentioned in another post, 1 year visa for consideration I was asked for 7000 Baht (1900 Baht is the correct fee) with a smile, and when I challenged that amount the reply with snarl was....A lawyer will cost you at least 20,000 Baht. EXTORTIONISTS. :angry: Next year I will only take 1900 Baht with me and see what happens.

As I mentioned in another post, 1 year visa for consideration I was asked for 7000 Baht (1900 Baht is the correct fee) with a smile, and when I challenged that amount the reply with snarl was....A lawyer will cost you at least 20,000 Baht. EXTORTIONISTS. :angry: Next year I will only take 1900 Baht with me and see what happens.

If my friend's experience is anything to go by - take a good book.

He went to renew his retirement visa this year (about the 6th renewal). He was asked for 5,000 baht. He told them that 5,000 baht was a mistake - it should be 1,900 baht (or whatever the real price was). They made him wait 6 hours. He got the visa for the correct price though.

If my friend's experience is anything to go by - take a good book.

He went to renew his retirement visa this year (about the 6th renewal). He was asked for 5,000 baht. He told them that 5,000 baht was a mistake - it should be 1,900 baht (or whatever the real price was). They made him wait 6 hours. He got the visa for the correct price though.

Good on ya! Each time someone pays 5K or more it raises their confidence level and allows their criminal operation to continue. Just pay the standard 1900 and hold your ground. Some might just say TIT, but when this topic was on the open forum it became clear that Samui IO was the only one doing this. All the others have their fees posted and even warnings not to pay over 1900B.

And I always take a book.

• Like 2

bunch of corrupt so and so's. even consul told i would get ripped off and i did. even after 9 years of knowing them still 5k for what should be a 1900 charge, and of course no receipt. now go to pattaya immigration and there is a big price list on the wall, just like there used to be and should be in Samui.

frustrating when even our goverment know they are bent and nothing happens. one day i hope to hear about Mr N** ending behind bars where he belongs.

• Like 2

bunch of corrupt so and so's. even consul told i would get ripped off and i did. even after 9 years of knowing them still 5k for what should be a 1900 charge, and of course no receipt. now go to pattaya immigration and there is a big price list on the wall, just like there used to be and should be in Samui.

frustrating when even our goverment know they are bent and nothing happens. one day i hope to hear about Mr N** ending behind bars where he belongs.

:angry: Using the Thai credo " Help those that can help you ", we always received fast track service from Mr.N** and his crew as we have been providing free bungalows to them and their families when on weekend holidays, but then they milked it for all they could, even sending " friends " of family and then " friends of friends " from Bangkok. So we were very surprised when, without warning, five Samui Immigration officials showed up last week and threatened to arrest us or pay a B10,000 fine, for failing to send them a list of tourist check ins for the past week. In the past they would send someone to pick up the lists on a weekly basis, then it changed and could be done by fax and now by email. When sent by fax, they whinged and whined about the difficulty of copying blah blah which surprised us as they have a fully staffed office, so we agreed to send the lists by email. We logged onto their website and filled in all the blanks and aftter a week, we are still awaiting our password. This is a scam, since knowing you haven't been issued a password, they then pounce to extort a B10,000 fine. What is ridiculous is that like the house I rent, the property owner dosn't file a list of his occupants and isn't paying the taxes we are. One of their minions even whined about not receiving anything under the table from us from the Samui Regatta when we were full and we explained it has nothing to do with us and all we do is provide accommodation and the Regatta is owned and operates from Bangkok. These parasites fail to see the big picture and couldn't care less about making Samui a friendly and successful holiday destination, they just make doing business here, ever more difficult ! Just can't wait to get into office and let Poorsucker ( Home Affairs) go through this office with a big broom !

Good post Crusty. Give them an inch and they take a mile. Bastards.:angry:

• Like 1

With all due respect sbk.

Your circumstances are a bit different to the average punter.

You have been dealing with them for a long time so they figure that you know the procedures and fees.

You are an attractive woman :whistling: so that might help.

You have a Thai Husband so that might prevent them from trying it on.

Personally when dealing with Samui Immigration I always found them extremely friendly and helpful. In fact over and above what they should have been.

The only issue I had was the rate of their fees.

I am neither - a "beautiful woman, or any sort of big sho, "married to thai man/woman" and never have been "hussled" by them!

And I happen to experience exactly what sbk states, but if I see how some act there... I can only say that those may receive "special treatment" AND Samui Immigration might know much more about one individual then one might be able to fathom.....

Must of been a lucky day. I wasted a full day there getting a 7 day extension to a non-b, F that in future just pay overstay. Office (was jammed with ppl) staff were rude and unhelpful and any quoted times were 2hrs late, frustrating.

It was funny though to watch some other people though (non imm-o and imm-B) trying to get 30 days extensions, one big fat women going on about "this just not possible" "i have flight book 1 month" blah blah, "7 day not enough", and another italian guy complaining like he was mafia or something... Love seeing some people being bought back down to earth sharply, just a shame when it affects me :D

How much did your extension cost?

:angry: Yes you would think they are making enough from extorting the poor Burmese workers on the island. In July two superyachts visited the island, the 33 m. Obsession and the 30 m. motor yacht Ligaya. I asked them on their way to clearing in if they were using the marine agents Seal Superyachts who have an agency here and Phuket. They both laughed and said " No way, they charge US$ 3000 for their services " Part of this fee is a kickback to Immigration, so when these two skippers presented themselves to Samui Immigration to clear them and their crew / passengers in and Immigration found they were not using Seal Superyachts as agents, they made them wait from 9am to 4pm. Welcome to Samui ! What a contrast to Malaysia, where they welcome yachts with visas for 6 months and encourage them to stay. More lost business for Thailand. Muppets !

• Like 1

I can draw only three possible conclusions from your statement:

1. You work for Samui Immigration

2. You paid 10K for your extension thinking that was the correct fee -- you get a smile and a wai for that

3. You just filed the ninety day report, which they never hassle you on, and is free-of-charge

I would rather have a root canal and colonoscopy simultaneously than visit them!

:angry: The latest twist in the Hotels guests report lists for which we were fined B10,000 last week, I find now, that the Immigration website has been down for three weeks and all the hotels can do is keep their logsheets until it comes on air again. If this is the case, what are my chances of getting a refund ? Today still unable to log in ! :(

[ The latest twist in the Hotels guests report lists for which we were fined B10,000 last week, I find now, that the Immigration website has been down for three weeks and all the hotels can do is keep their logsheets until it comes on air again. If this is the case, what are my chances of getting a refund ? Today still unable to log in ! :(

Mayor Crusty: SI doesn't give receipts, so methinks your chances are the same as they would be if you wanted to buy one rai of land at a reasonable price from a Thai!

An 85-yr-old retired judge on a retirement visa was talking with me last year saying how nice the people were at SI as they always smiled at him when he paid the 30K for his extension. When I told him the fee was only 1900K he looked like he was having a coronary. I saw him two days later and he said that he went down to SI and asked for a refund on the overcharging for the past six years and they said, "No problem, just show us your receipt."

An 85-yr-old retired judge on a retirement visa was talking with me last year saying how nice the people were at SI as they always smiled at him when he paid the 30K for his extension. When I told him the fee was only 1900K he looked like he was having a coronary. I saw him two days later and he said that he went down to SI and asked for a refund on the overcharging for the past six years and they said, "No problem, just show us your receipt."

serious, they over charged him 28100 baht ??? That is terrible. They have been charging him that for 6 years ??? Khrap Krun Khrap. i bet he could buy a good lawyer with the money he will save from now on !!!

He went to a lawyer afterwards who asked for 20K to handle it next time. Then, he went to a visa fixer who wanted 30K to process it. When he went back to ask for a refund, he advised them that he was an ex-federal court judge, and would like to see where the visa fees were printed. They handed him a piece of paper written in Thai, but they wouldn't let him have it or take a copy of it. It was probably a tally of how much baht they had taken off of stupid farangs. Ask any Thai what they would do if they went into a government office to pay for a license for 1900B and they were charged 5,10, or 30k. The answer is that they would get thirty Thais and burn the place down. They are very aware that farangs will do nothing, so why shouldn't they continue their criminal enterprise???