Stranded And Now Overstayed

Well he newer have told where he is from. so maybee he is not from the US and just a farrang Bum, Like the rest of us, the only difference is we have our own money and dont have to ask for help!

That isn't such a bad idea, to contact your representative in congress along with the local US press where you are from. Sometimes congresspeople will get involved in helping constituents get the services they deserve from the government, and I feel, in this case you deserve some help from the US embassy to get home safely.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he newer have told where he is from. so maybee he is not from the US and just a farrang Bum, Like the rest of us, the only difference is we have our own money and dont have to ask for help!

That isn't such a bad idea, to contact your representative in congress along with the local US press where you are from. Sometimes congresspeople will get involved in helping constituents get the services they deserve from the government, and I feel, in this case you deserve some help from the US embassy to get home safely.

He made it quite clear he is dealing with the US embassy. Post 9. Study up, there will be a pop quiz.

Next ...

Western Union in Thailand is not the same as 1st world WU. I went to receive money with the MTCN and a code word at the WU in Phuket Town and they refused to give me the money unless I showed them my passport. Of course I politely explained to them that I didn't need my passport but they treated me like a retard and just kept repeated the mantra "need passport...need passport". They wouldn't budge so eventually I showed the passport and got the money.

Something doesn't make sense. You can't enter Thailand without a return ticket; your airline has to confirm you have a return ticket when you fly to Thailand. So all you need is a new passport because you already have your return ticket, yes, no?

Something doesn't make sense. You can't enter Thailand without a return ticket; your airline has to confirm you have a return ticket when you fly to Thailand. So all you need is a new passport because you already have your return ticket, yes, no?

Of course you can enter Thailand without a return ticket. They almost never check at BKK. The issue for most is boarding the airplane TO Thailand in the first place. No problem if you have a VISA in your passport and/or an air ticket departing from Thailand to anywhere, for example Malaysia.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Got give the op some credit for imagination...I mean we've all got this story from bum farengs on the street...but to post the exact same sad-luck story on T-V...that's a new one for me .

shame the OP. has not given his bank details ,

every little bit helps , for a fellow farang . :jap:

western union requires some form of written id to get money, at least here also.. second, maybe in the states, credit card companies forward funds, where im from, there is no such thing; not all travel insurance covers document loss: most insurance that we all take out covers basic baggage, death, illness and that is that...

fortunatley my county's embassy is know for saving the skin of many a traveller, however, in this brave new age, scanning copies and keeping them in an internet email account or postal on line safe account helps a lot... if u are in an area that has internet of course...

this is always our fear when our kids are travelling ; why do people assume that when someone is travelling, they or others must have funds at home? poeple work and save up just for the trip plus expenses and have no reserves, and many of us dont have well off parents or we are not well off parents... twice we've had incidents of kids from the kibbutz getting ripped off or arrested for whatever reasons in india or other third world country, and parents borrowed lots of money from the kibbutz, but we have that luck. for others, there is no back up... not everyone travelling is rich or from the states... and even the most seasoned traveller does stupid things, or gets in to stupid situations when tired, or just not wary, or when ill and run down...

even the most organized person has stupid things happen to them: my daughter's ticket (back when tickes were real and not etickets) for a continued flight inside the states was taken off by an overzeolous ticketer, she was stuck, not very good at english, and fairly young, and not knowing in general what to do... she never thought to check the ticket each time a piece was pulled off... now she knows... the stories are endless... leaving things in bathrooms is the main cause of losing tickets and passports (happened to BIL when he did his tibet/india/thailand trip years ago... but he really is a klutzy innocent )...

its true that there are many scams, but for every scam, there must be one story that is for real and the next time, it could be u, and o one will stop to help cause u might be scamming them... remember that...

'there but for th grace of god, et al, go i....

bina

israel

Of course you can enter Thailand without a return ticket. They almost never check at BKK. The issue for most is boarding the airplane TO Thailand in the first place. No problem if you have a VISA in your passport and/or an air ticket departing from Thailand to anywhere, for example Malaysia.

Next ...

Look, I live here and I fly in and out all the time...I already know what you're saying...but this guy's a tourist. I'm not talking about Bangkok. I'd be interested to hear from the original poster whether he was asked by his airline in the states if he had a return ticket or not. AFAIK he cannot even get on the plane without proof of a return ticket.

The Problem is, that there are many people around who use this or very similar stories for take money.

And i believe, that some of the person who ask for money need real help, but unfortunately there are more which use stories like this for steel money. It is a bad habit, because the real unlucky people not become their money.

I thought many times what i should do, when a person ask me for money to go to their embassy. And i came to the conclusion, to go with him and pay for the taxi. So if he really need the money for it, then i will give it. But if he is only a burglar, then he will not want this answer....

At the end, i hope there will be never a person who have to ask this...

YES, the solution is in the follow-thru...

I do the same when a beggar asks for s few Baht to buy comething to eat. I always offer to take them to a restaurant or food shop and feed them. I am never surprised when I am told no...

Next ...

Look, I live here and I fly in and out all the time...I already know what you're saying...but this guy's a tourist. I'm not talking about Bangkok. I'd be interested to hear from the original poster whether he was asked by his airline in the states if he had a return ticket or not. AFAIK he cannot even get on the plane without proof of a return ticket.

I have personally flown in on a one way ticket from the US, WITH a visa ...

Next ...

I have personally flown in on a one way ticket from the US, WITH a visa ...

OIC, I don't think he had a visa though as he said he is overstaying now so I assume he got on the plane with no visa and got a visa exempt stamp on arrival...

SO, if he didn't have a visa he would have to show the airline his return ticket when he boarded the flight no?

I'm not sure about his situation with the return ticket. but as stated, if he had a visa, he would not have had to show a return ticket to board the flight . Also, on his most recent entry, he did not do a visa exempt entry at an airport, he was on a bus returning from Laos when he lost his possesions, it doesn't make much difference if that was with a visa or not, because now he doesn't have a visa or a passport.

Edited by beechguy

western union requires some form of written id to get money, at least here also.. second, maybe in the states, credit card companies forward funds, where im from, there is no such thing; not all travel insurance covers document loss: most insurance that we all take out covers basic baggage, death, illness and that is that...

fortunatley my county's embassy is know for saving the skin of many a traveller, however, in this brave new age, scanning copies and keeping them in an internet email account or postal on line safe account helps a lot... if u are in an area that has internet of course...

this is always our fear when our kids are travelling ; why do people assume that when someone is travelling, they or others must have funds at home? poeple work and save up just for the trip plus expenses and have no reserves, and many of us dont have well off parents or we are not well off parents... twice we've had incidents of kids from the kibbutz getting ripped off or arrested for whatever reasons in india or other third world country, and parents borrowed lots of money from the kibbutz, but we have that luck. for others, there is no back up... not everyone travelling is rich or from the states... and even the most seasoned traveller does stupid things, or gets in to stupid situations when tired, or just not wary, or when ill and run down...

even the most organized person has stupid things happen to them: my daughter's ticket (back when tickes were real and not etickets) for a continued flight inside the states was taken off by an overzeolous ticketer, she was stuck, not very good at english, and fairly young, and not knowing in general what to do... she never thought to check the ticket each time a piece was pulled off... now she knows... the stories are endless... leaving things in bathrooms is the main cause of losing tickets and passports (happened to BIL when he did his tibet/india/thailand trip years ago... but he really is a klutzy innocent )...

its true that there are many scams, but for every scam, there must be one story that is for real and the next time, it could be u, and o one will stop to help cause u might be scamming them... remember that...

bina

israel

I'm sure Madoff had a good story to tell as well...B)

bina

israel

To all you people who showed compassion, thank you, you have a ticket to heaven! For the folks who laugh and find pleasure when someone is in a spot, I hope you live an eternal life in hel_l!!

Anyway, problem solved, I was issued a new Credit Card, had it sent to a "Broke" friend, who read me the numbers and I sent Western Union to myself a ticket, and got the heck out of here! You just have to get a bit creative!