Hat Lek Visa Run

Has anybody done a visa run to Hat Lek or other border crossings around Trat/ Chantaburi recently?

Are the border crossings open and available for exit/re-entry on the same day to get an additional 15 days stay?

Which crossing is the easiest one to use / reach by car and how far is it from Chantaburi or Trat?

Planning to drive family to Koh Chang this weekend and could do a border crossing during the trip.

Appreciate any replies ASAP

Have not done the run but can tell you from Trat to Hat Lek about 2 hours by van, less than that by car, then it is 5 kilometers to the border. The border is open from 7:30 am. to 5 p.m. That is the only definite reply that I can give you, I think that you should be able to return the same day with a multiple entry visa.Chantaburi to Trat I think 60 kilometers.You should be able to do it easily if your going to Koh Chang.

Edited by Colabamumbai

ban pakard would be the closest, at chantaburi turn left towards poi pet.After about 30mins or so it is sign posted to border market, turn right and keep driving , there are two crossings close together, but ban pakard is the closest. open every day

Well I am afraid that "Colabamumbai" is completely incorrect in more or less everything that he has said.Firstly,it takes a little more than an hour to drive from Trat to the border(which is AT Had Lek)If you use the Thai minibus mafia on that route it does take longer,(but not much),but as you are driving it doesn't apply.There is very little traffic on the road.As I said,the border is AT Had Lek,it's Koh Kong in Cambodia that is 7 km further.The border closes at 8.00pm (20.00) not 5pm,that information is years old.Yes you can go across the border there,get a Cambodian visa,and immediately return to Thailand,but be aware that the Cambodian border officials there have an extremely bad reputation (and deservedly so) for overcharging for visas.They will want at LEAST 1200TB for the visa,will probably rip you off for anything from 20-100THB for a "health check",and if you argue with them you will be there waiting for your visa for a long time.The only way to get one over on them is to either get an e-visa,or one from the Cambodian Embassy prior to travel.If you don't mind the extra charge then as you are in the area it might be worth it.Good luck

Thanks to all who replied. Left Bangkok at 10am and relaxing in Koh Chang by 5pm having sorted out the visa on the way - not bad!

In the end, I completely missed Ban Pakkhad and ended up at Ban Laem, nearby. Paid them 1300THB and they took the passport away and got all the necessary stamps for Cambodian visa and Thai re-entry. All done in 10 mins. Little expensive compared to eg. Poi Pet but since it saved me also having to leave the country and pay for a Cambodian visa it was worthwhile.