Computer

mugopp

If desktop computer I would do some research on internet, buy the parts I want and put it together myself...

If I was getting a laptop I'd do research on internet, go try it somewhere near and then find the best price.

I have just bought an Acer TravelMate 4603WLMI from Data IT in Pantip Plaza.

Intel Pentium M processor 750, 1.86 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache

15.4" WXGA wide TFT LCD screen

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express graphics card with 128 MB VRAM

80 GB HDD

DVD-Dual (DVD +R Double Layer/DVD+/-RW)

768 MB DDR2 RAM

802.11b/g wireless LAN

Bluetooth

It's quick!

It's expensive!

But it did come with a free MP3 player, mini optical mouse, phone charger kit and case. :o

mugopp - If you currently have a good working computer, laptop or desktop, I would personally suggest waiting a bit, as there are some major changes coming later this year which are expected to put considerable downward pressure on the pricing of current machines.

Changes such as:

- New 64 bit "dual core" and "multi-core" processors

- New 64 bit operating systems

- New brighter & lower cost LCD screens

- Larger and lower cost hard drives

- Faster wireless systems

......and an Apple running Windows and a PC running OX 10? :o:D

cheers :D

Thks for all the replies. Sorry forgot to say what I was looking at. Dell GX620 is a Desktop

Pentium 4 3.4

Dual Core & 64 bit

I've looked around, but nobody else has the 64 bit

As far as customizing a computer, I just figured out last week how to turn the computer on :o . Again Thks all for the help

Thks for all the replies. Sorry forgot to say what I was looking at. Dell GX620 is a Desktop

Pentium 4  3.4

Dual Core & 64 bit

I've looked around, but nobody else has the 64 bit

As far as customizing a computer, I just figured out last week how to turn the computer on :D . Again Thks all for the help

hi'

you can still run Xp in 64b, but from what I have read, an intel prescott [email protected] is ahead in the benchmark, working faster than the P4 660 and even the P4 840D ...

it's not worth the money to buy the latest for now, imho, have to wait for a few months more as waldwolf said, prices will go down and then it will be possible to make a major upgrade for a reasonable price.

for a laptop, I'll go for either a toshiba or a dell, but with a pentium 2ghz(P4.760) :D

512mb ram, 80gb hdd and a good video card with all connections(firewire,usb,wifi,lan), and a nice black screen, all this cost at least a good 1500$ :o

I have seen the toshiba A75 .. nice one :D and I know someone who use it and be happy with it.

francois

Dell doesn't really care about retail/consumer sales in Thailand, it focuses mainly on corporate accounts. Don't expect a reply anytime within the next millenium.

As for dual-core/64 bit CPUs, they're currently available. 64 bit P4's and AMDs are pretty cheap, and are a good buy, although 64-bit windows still isn't worth upgrading to (no 64-bit office, Photoshop, etc. etc.) as drivers will be a problem. Dual-core AMDs are way overpriced, while Dual-core P4s are only a bit more expensive than their single-core brothers, but on the flip side dual-core supporting P4 motherboards are really expensive compared to AMD motherboards. However, both CPUs seem to be MIA in Thailand.

Acer laptops are pretty good for the price. You can get some really nice specs (DVD writer, clearbright screen, 64-bit cpu, etc) for really cheap, compared to Japanese brands.

My first choice was Dell GX620. I e-mailed Dell Thailand over a month ago & still no reply sad.gif If you had a choice, what computer would you order? Thks

I've attempted to contact Dell Thailand via email on a number of occasions last year - no reply or ackowledgement at all. Pretty lame, considering they are a technology company.

For me, its as much memory as you can fit in the thing, then heaps of disk, and an extra-fast and powerful video card.

But for something different like the BBC, what of the MicroBee ?

s_256tc01.jpg

mugopp - If you currently have a good working computer, laptop or desktop, I would personally suggest waiting a bit, as there are some major changes coming later this year which are expected to put considerable downward pressure on the pricing of current machines.

cheers :D

Bear in mind, this is a statement that can be made during almost any quarter in the past 25 years of the PC. :-)

A rational strategy is to space your purchases far enough out so that you can buy the current middle of the road bargain at a good value to support you to the next upgrade cycle, and ignore what is happening at the top-end. At least for non-specialized use, this is true. Otherwise, when those great new things come along to depress pricing of today's items, you'll forget it was today's items you intended to buy and you'll pay through the nose for all that new stuff! Plodding along consistenly and without worrying about all the little market fluctuations will probably have you ending up with an equivalent computing experience...

Or, if you want the latest and greatest, admit that you have a fetish and just live with the costs. :o

I've had a few laptops, and have to say of all the ones I have tried, the ASUS L5400C is the best; there are only two concerns - it is larger than the portable computers with mobile processors, and the battery time is rather low (about 1 hour). Most of the time finding a wall outlet is not a big issue though, with 4 hours battery time you still have to find a place to charge the 'puter afterwards.

If you want something with a bit of GO in it, I just bought a second hand (Numbaa-too) AS/400 6000 series, it does a peak of 12,000 MIPS on a 64 bit floating Point instruction set for $5000-USD

It also came with a "complimentary 8Tb of Disk"

Sorry to explain better, it has 12 x 1000 MIP Engines that are tightly coupled.

Edited by Sydney_Tom