Movie Theaters

bhatmasterson

I like seeing movies in Chiang Mai. However, the nearest location to me is Central Kad Suan Kaew, which to my knowledge, hasn't had a movie in English for the last few weeks. Checking Central Airport Plaza a couple of days ago, I was able to find one movie in English. Are we being nudged towards the more expensive Airport Plaza or is this new trend something that will pass?

"The Expendables", "Resident Evil" and "Machete" are all in english at Major and none right now at Vista.

Just like I said. Not enough English requirement . Just like the threads on TV about the economy and business climate in Chiang Mai at the moment. Not good.

Just like I said. Not enough English requirement . Just like the threads on TV about the economy and business climate in Chiang Mai at the moment. Not good.

I agree with the economy argument, but I don't think the Thai movie vendors choose movies for English speakers, they simply choose the ones that will put the most bums in seats. I used to live in a city with considerably less English speaking people than Chiang Mai, and they still showed the same movies as Pattaya did. Even in Chiang Mai the majority of ticket buyers are Thai. I think some big Hollywood movies do very poorly here because of too much dialogue. The locals will watch movies in English if they are highly visual.

I agree with the economy argument, but I don't think the Thai movie vendors choose movies for English speakers, they simply choose the ones that will put the most bums in seats. I used to live in a city with considerably less English speaking people than Chiang Mai, and they still showed the same movies as Pattaya did. Even in Chiang Mai the majority of ticket buyers are Thai. I think some big Hollywood movies do very poorly here because of too much dialogue. The locals will watch movies in English if they are highly visual.

I'll agree with you on your view point and to add to that I shall say I really thank that the selection of movies at this time is shyt, there is nothing that really grabs me.

Went to AP Plaza a couple of weeks ago to see Salt.

Admittedly it was half price day which I did not know , but it was packed with Thais. My wife and I could only get seats behind each other....great for me as I had the popcorn and pepsi :D

So its obvious that the Thais like to watch the western films, or maybe they just wanted to see Angelina? :whistling:

On the other hand, In all the years my wife has lived in the US they have never shown even one movie in Thai, anywhere :o . Much less one with Thai subtitles :) But since she speaks,reads & writes English she doesn't mind ;) When we are in Thailand like iainiain, I rather like many of the Thai movies with English subtitles.

I noticed some time ago that KSK was mainly showing Thai movies. I enjoy Thai movies, but also like to see blockbuster movies too. But, most of the blockbuster movies seemed to be dubbed right away for the ksk audience. Nice little theater, and not a big fan of the glitzy big movie theaters, so i really miss the blockbuster movies there. :( But..of course, thats partly me being selfish...HOWEVER, i have Thai friends that prefer to see western movies with the original soundtrack. They dont like the dubs and enjoy the movie in English even if they cant catch everything (actually most when watching a dvd will watch the movie in English with English subs, so if they cant catch the spoken words, they can refer to the subs).

Has anyone seen Resident Evil in 3d yet? I still havent seen a 3d movie (missed out on seeing Avatar in 3d :( )

Is it a made for 3d movie or just converted? WOuld like my first 3d movie experience to be a good one. Mila rocks too, so would be awesome to see her in 3d! :D

On the other hand, In all the years my wife has lived in the US they have never shown even one movie in Thai, anywhere :o . Much less one with Thai subtitles :) But since she speaks,reads & writes English she doesn't mind ;) When we are in Thailand like iainiain, I rather like many of the Thai movies with English subtitles.

You must have lived in a hick town then. Some Thai movies are definitely shown in the US.

i have Thai friends that prefer to see western movies with the original soundtrack.

That's what my wife prefers also. She loves action movies and wants the full effect. The Expendables is on her 'must see' list as she is a big fan of Jason Statham. Come to think of it, so am I. ;)

Resident Evil - Mila :wub:

Haha Tywais..i know...and i agree. Shes utterly gorgeous. One of my favorite actresses because shes so powerful. Not so girly girly, but elegant and beautiful. She was awesome in The Fifth Element, but she kicks ass in the Resident Evil movies though! :D

You must have lived in a hick town then. Some Thai movies are definitely shown in the US

While not the largest State I dont think it is the smallest.Would love to see a list of these movies you say are shown in the US though .

Of course ombak is available on dvd :D

Edited by mania

You must have lived in a hick town then. Some Thai movies are definitely shown in the US.

I am at present in Seattle and as yet to find a Thai movie.

You must have lived in a hick town then. Some Thai movies are definitely shown in the US

While not the largest State I dont think it is the smallest.Would love to see a list of these movies you say are shown in the US though .

Of course ombak is available on dvd :D

Key word is SOME and it would be Los Angeles who has the largest Thai community outside of Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed some time ago that KSK was mainly showing Thai movies. I enjoy Thai movies, but also like to see blockbuster movies too. But, most of the blockbuster movies seemed to be dubbed right away for the ksk audience. Nice little theater, and not a big fan of the glitzy big movie theaters, so i really miss the blockbuster movies there. :( But..of course, thats partly me being selfish...HOWEVER, i have Thai friends that prefer to see western movies with the original soundtrack. They dont like the dubs and enjoy the movie in English even if they cant catch everything (actually most when watching a dvd will watch the movie in English with English subs, so if they cant catch the spoken words, they can refer to the subs).

Whenever I went to Central or Airport Plaza, I could usually bank on catching a movie at either place albeit a good one or not.

I really hate a movie that is dubbed, it's just not the same. I've seen some wonderful foreign movies in my time, including Thai movies and I just read the subtitles - it's what we do and if they were dubbed they would have been awful. I think the problem is that most Thai's can't actually read fast enough to keep up with the subtitles. Like Eek, I have Thai friends that enjoy watching English movies with English subtitles, but I think these are very much in the minority and most like the dubbing, as it saves them the effort of a bit of work reading the subtitles.

I wonder if Vista will ever change back? :(

My wife and I could only get seats behind each other....

Interesting. How did you manage that, TP, both behind one another? Only in Muang Thai, eh. :D

Haha Tywais..i know...and i agree. Shes utterly gorgeous. One of my favorite actresses because shes so powerful. Not so girly girly, but elegant and beautiful. She was awesome in The Fifth Element, but she kicks ass in the Resident Evil movies though! :D

Yep, she's stonkin'. I like her all innocent (and that dress!) in the first and in that getup in Extinction.

resident_evil_extinction_milla_jovovich_with_knives.jpg

Ali Larter also good. Both got fantastic eyes. Wonder how Mr Miller got on with them. :whistling:

Hmmm I guess thats why its not mandatory to learn Thai in US schools.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to see if anything was worth watching and came across this juicy morsel.

Saturday Killer

Action, Comedy 30 September 2010

The film revolves around Tee Rifle, a troublesome gunman who kills for money to cure his impotence, and Chris Styer, a mysterious girl that Tee has a crush on but never win her heart.

Might just have to give it a miss, do let me know if I missed out on anything! :D