First Trip To Thailand

reaper12

Hi Everybody,

This is my first visit to thailand. I will be there on the 21st of july and really looking forward to it. I have browsed through the threads and I have picked up a lot of useful information, thank you all.

I hope you won't mind me asking a few question. And I hope I don't annoy you too much with repeat questions.

1. Would it be too much trouble for a newbie like me travelling to Thailand for the first time to find My way using buses, skytrain etc. from the airport to Soi 4 where I am staying in Sukhimvet?

2. I fI have to take a taxi, how much will it cost? I have read that 200baht will get you to any part of bangkok. Is this true? Should I tip the driver? 10 or 20 baht?

3. Tipping in general, what is a good amount to give the hotel porter? 20 baht?

That's my basic questions!!

Now for more advise kind questions.

1. I am tavelling up northest to khon kaen and to bangkok and to pattaya. I would like to go to some beautiful place too. I have read alot about koh samui, koh samet and phuket. Which of these places is the best at this time of year? If Kon Samet is good I might just go there as it will save me some travel time. What do you guys think? Or maybe you know somewhere better.

2. Now a really weird question, denists. Are they any good there in thailand? Are they expensive? CAn anyone recommend one?

Ok that's all. Hope you guys can help me out. :o

Cheers!!

1. Would it be too much trouble for a newbie like me travelling to Thailand for the first time to find My way using buses, skytrain etc. from the airport to Soi 4 where I am staying in Sukhimvet?

2. I fI have to take a taxi, how much will it cost? I have read that 200baht will get you to any part of bangkok. Is this true? Should I tip the driver? 10 or 20 baht?

answer

1 no prob at all .. easy , take a cab or airport bus to Suk, ..and for skytrain is over there

2 better check meter from taxi , maybe u have to add 50 BHt from taxi que there

3 20 is fine .. (atleast)

Bambi

Hi Everybody,

Now for more advise kind questions.

1. I am tavelling up northest to khon kaen and to bangkok and to pattaya. I would like to go to some beautiful place too. I have read alot about koh samui, koh samet and phuket. Which of these places is the best at this time of year? If Kon Samet is good I might just go there as it will save me some travel time. What do you guys think? Or maybe you know somewhere better.

2. Now a really weird question, denists. Are they any good there in thailand? Are they expensive? CAn anyone recommend one?

Ok that's all. Hope you guys can help me out. :o

Cheers!!

sorry i forget ,

july ... u can try all koh samui, koh samet and phuket...and koh samet is fine, cheaper than all koh u ment ,

dent here...cheap, i must say(compare with your country..and they re great..IMHO

bambi

Edited by BambinA

answer

1 no prob at all .. easy , take a cab or airport bus to Suk, ..and for skytrain is over there

2 better check meter from taxi , maybe u have to add 50 BHt from taxi que there

3 20 is fine .. (atleast)

Bambi

Just to add a little to Bambinas Information.

I presume you will arrive at BKK Airport?

Taxi from Airport:

Get one from the Taxi Stand Cost +50 Bht but safe,

They will ask you where you go so driver will know.

Make sure Meter on, YOU will pay Extra for Toll Way not driver.

Cost 200 to 250 Bht+ toll that you will already have paid.

Tip? up to you but 20 to 50 Bht for Taxi & 20 Bht at Hotel about right.

Dentist:

Very Good, I try not to use Dentist in UK, Very expensive in comparison.

For the rest of your questions, Travel, Enjoy and don’t try to plan too much.

Too much to see and do and never enough time!!

Enjoy your stay; wish I were there now. :o

Regards

Ivan

:D

Edited by IvanLaw

for taxi .. i have a trick , if u dont want to wait for que , nor paid for 50 bht ...and yes they will charge u from meter..

dont wait taxi from the arrival floor..(ground floor?..maybe 1st) .. go to the departure floor , (2nd-3rd floor).. pick a cab there ( they bring passenger there) ..

good luck

Bambi :o

[1  no prob  at all .. easy , take a  cab or airport bus to Suk,  ..and  for  skytrain is over there

If you're staying at Sukhumvit soi 4, there's no need to change from taxi to the skytrain, just tell the driver to take you all the way to your hotel. Nearest expressway ramp is probably as close to soi 4 as the nearest BTS (skytrain) station.

[1  no prob  at all .. easy , take a  cab or airport bus to Suk,  ..and  for  skytrain is over there

If you're staying at Sukhumvit soi 4, there's no need to change from taxi to the skytrain, just tell the driver to take you all the way to your hotel. Nearest expressway ramp is probably as close to soi 4 as the nearest BTS (skytrain) station.

heheh i thought he mean , if it's hard to find BTS around there..

anyhow, u re right Nordlys .. from Airport to Soi.4 Nana .. no need BTS ..just express way only .. :o Keng mak

bambi

Air-cionditioned Airport bus AB3 will take you to Sukhumvit and will cost you 100 Baht. Air con bus 13 will get you there but slower about 20 Baht.

Taxi meter should not be more than 200 Baht (plus 50 Baht airport surcharge unless follow above advice and grab one at departure.), but driver will try to skirt around any traffic problems. Traffic jams can be murderous near sukhumvit.

If you use taxi can ask to be dropped at skytrain to avoid traffic problems and get off at Nana. Skytrain costs maximum of 40 Baht.

As is your first trip, I recommend you use the taxi as will take you straight to your hotel. Bangkok travel can be a bit daunting for a newcomer. Make sure you tell the driver name of hotel and soi 4 Sukhumvit. Always good to give as much information as his English may not be too good and I assume your Thai non existent. Luckily you are going to a popular area so you should have no problems.

If the taxi driver asks if you want to go expressway, you will have to pay the tolls. If taxi driver believes expressway is best, believe him, think is about an extra 60 Baht.

Dentists in tourist areas very good and cheap by western standards. I had 3 teeth loosened courtesy of a drunken Farang who hit me with a bar stool one time ( no idea why!). Cost me 1500 Baht to have it fixed and with a clean and polish. Took 2 visits. I could have got the police to get the money off of him, but he had already suffered a night in the monkey house, so guess he had already suffered enough.

Oh this is your first trip!!!!! Don't worry, this sort of thing very rarely happens. I certainly believe that it is safer in Thailand than in UK.

Edited by loong

LOL I am looking forward to been hit by bar stools.

Seriously I have been meaning to go to the dentist here in Ireland for sometime. IvanLaw, I am from Ireland, we think UK prices are very cheap. We can get dental work done in the Uk for about half the cost of getting the same thing done in Ireland. So Thailand is going to be a real saving for me.

Bambina, you are a real good source of information, I have read a lot of your comments on other threads. Thanks for your comments here :D

It's looking like I will take a taxi from the airport to my hotel.

Then go to a dentist on the day I check in.

After a few days head on up to Khon Kaen,

When I am finished there, return to bangkok and travel to Koh Samit seems to be a lovely Island and close Pattaya too :o Which I will travel to after the island.

Thanks for all your comments and help.

Cheers,

REaper