Nightclub Entry Requirement

laawaaris

In order to enter a nightclub (dance club) what is the entry requirement in a city such as Bangkok ? Do they check for some ID at the door - or do they not require this ?

The reason I ask is that I am just a little weary of taking my passport with me at night - in general when I travel I usually leave my passport in the safe at the hotel at all times because it is not needed for most things.

Anyhow, any knowledge or experience of the nightclub entry requirements would be helpful.

According to Thai law, foreigners must posses their passport at all times. Last year when the new head of Immigration took over, he claimed this law was going to be strictly enforced. Copies of passports would not acceptable as they couldn't be verified. Failure to show your passport on demand to a police official could result in a 2000 baht fine. Although in many cases, officers do accept a Thai drivers license as ID.

Officially the minimum age is 18. Many night clubs have a minimum age of 20 and at a few clubs the minimum age is 21. It's usually posted at the door. If you appear to be over 25, they usually don't check ID.

TIT, everything is fluid and anything is possible. You may be checked or you may not. Depends on many factors; the area, the nightclub, who is working the door, your appearance, who you are with, and etc...

Usually if the police are present in the area or the nightclub is under investigation, entrance requirements are strictly enforced.

Edited by BB1950

A lot of clubs in Bangkok will always check id and won't let you in with out one. Some never check id of foreigners though. It doesn't have to be your passport though, any kind of id card will work. My driver's license has always been good enough for me everywhere I've gone. Photocopy of your passport also works. The age requirement for clubs in Thailand is 20, although the age to purchase alcohol at a store is only 18.

Under International laws and conventions a visitor to any country should always be able to prove his/her identity.

The passport is the right thing for it.

If you live in Thailand you must still be able to prove your identity.

However, this can be any Thai recognised identity card, driving license for example.

If you forget any ID, the rule is that you must be able to show your passport within 24 hours.

This said, a fine can still be given for not carrying an ID-card.

Requirement to enter a night club. Technically you have to be 20 to drink in Thailand but as else where quit a few do not ask. As for showing an ID I have never seen this done but I do suggest that you have some form of ID on you (copy) just encase the place gets busted.

Depends on where you go in Bangkok though. They always seem to ask at RCA. Bed Supperclub usually seems to ask too. Places like Scratchdog sometimes do, sometimes don't (and even when they do and you can't provide, they eventually give you the nod). Like other posters have said, you'll be fine with a photocopy of your passport or ID card.

As I understand it the Law in Thailand states that you need to carry photo ID at all times (i.e. Driving license etc) and be able to produce a National ID card or Passport within a reasonable time frame.

As far as getting into Clubs is concerned any photo ID proving your age (if over 20) should be fine, this covers the club and club security from issues with the local jollies if checked.

As far as the law is concerned. This has been a long discussed issue on thaivisa.com and is somewhat of a grey area because at 2am in the morning on the side of the road, the law is precisely whatever the two policemen who are attempting to extort you decide it is.

In this case the Passport is the ultimate form of ID and even dodgy police patrols can't do much to extort you if you have your passport.

A Thai Drivers license shows you have been here a while and know the system and seems to work all the time although particularly awkward police could push the issue.

A photocopy of your passport shows you have your options covered but the Police could still cause trouble if they choose to.

Photo ID (Drivers license) from your home country covers most options, but the Police could still cause trouble if they choose to.

Being realistic - As many posters have already mentioned: A photo copy should suffice in all but the stickiest of situations.

Edited by richard_smith237