Tokay Bounty

T_Dog

There have been folks driving around smaller villages around Doi Saket, Mae Rim, and Mae Taeng offering to buy Tokay geckos. These are the big ones, not the small ones you have in your house. Apparently they are offering over 5000 baht for a big one. That's a lot of money for local villagers, so you can be sure that the hunt is on!

Why has this market suddenly appeared? Some say the critters are shipped live into China to be made into medicinal products, but who knows if that is true. Anybody got the true scoop on this?

Yes that's true. It has been on the news a few times over the last couple of weeks. The Chinese pay big money for them. They are used for virility - what else? But I think they meant 5K per kilo - not per piece. The tokay hunters were in our moobaan last night as they are often.

Thanks for that. I'll have check out the news a bit more. Tokays have been around a long time so it seems like something has triggered this whole thing.

Yes that's true. It has been on the news a few times over the last couple of weeks. The Chinese pay big money for them. They are used for virility - what else? But I think they meant 5K per kilo - not per piece. The tokay hunters were in our moobaan last night as they are often.

Where do the Chinese get all their information regarding various species increasing their virility.....and why are they so obsessed with it anyway?

Thanks for that. I'll have check out the news a bit more. Tokays have been around a long time so it seems like something has triggered this whole thing.

Actually they are not shipped live to China. They showed on the news the whole process of how they prepared for shipment.

Where do the Chinese get all their information regarding various species increasing their virility.....and why are they so obsessed with it anyway?

I have eaten 10 today already and am ready for bed but the wife is not here

I have eaten 10 today already and am ready for bed but the wife is not here

So where's the maid?

I suppose you don't need to eat 10 tokay's when the maid is involved.

Hi T-DOG

Nothing to add to this thread, just to say it was nice to meet you @ Tuskers on Friday night....

David

David it was a pleasure meeting you as well. It was an early night for me as I had to get home and brew up some Tokay-B-Ard.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun T-Dog,

Well, we can tell you the real reason behind this. In April, 2009, we announced, here on this forum, our new product, Tookay Jelly:

Tookay Jelly Premiered in Chiang Mai

Shortly after that announcement, we were visited by a high-ranking officer of the SPCAF in Thailand (Society Promulgating Calumnies Against Farang), and were told in "no uncertain terms" to stop producing Tookay Jelly. Our laboratories were confiscated and dis-assembled by special Haz-Mat squads wearing grade three bio-hazard-containment gear.

Knowing better than to protest, or get angry, we happily signed a "full confession" that the idea of Tookay Jelly was not "original," and that we learned all our trade secrets from some farmer named Lek in Amphur Fang.

Because of our full co-operation, we were allowed to keep our passport and remain in country.

The high-ranking officer, after treating us to a lovely dinner at the Dhari Dhevi Hotel, said, in parting, in a most friendly tone: "You forget all this; and we ... forget you."

Which we never forgot.

TIT

best, ~o:37;

• Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun T-Dog,

Well, we can tell you the real reason behind this. In April, 2009, we announced, here on this forum, our new product, Tookay Jelly:

Tookay Jelly Premiered in Chiang Mai

Shortly after that announcement, we were visited by a high-ranking officer of the SPCAF in Thailand (Society Promulgating Calumnies Against Farang), and were told in "no uncertain terms" to stop producing Tookay Jelly. Our laboratories were confiscated and dis-assembled by special Haz-Mat squads wearing grade three bio-hazard-containment gear.

Knowing better than to protest, or get angry, we happily signed a "full confession" that the idea of Tookay Jelly was not "original," and that we learned all our trade secrets from some farmer named Lek in Amphur Fang.

Because of our full co-operation, we were allowed to keep our passport and remain in country.

The high-ranking officer, after treating us to a lovely dinner at the Dhari Dhevi Hotel, said, in parting, in a most friendly tone: "You forget all this; and we ... forget you."

Which we never forgot.

TIT

best, ~o:37;

So just a pinch between cheek and ?

There was something on the news again tonight. Apparently the price has gone up what the Chinese are willing to pay for Tokays. Now it seems they are interested in their brains for some other medical purpose. They will pay a higher price for the bigger ones 400+ grams. Interestingly, there are already 2 wanted ads on TV classifieds from people looking to buy 400+ gram Tokays!

Now that the rain has eased up the Tokay hunters are already on my soi. They wear a miners type of light on their foreheads and have these devices with little nooses on them to catch them.

I'm surprised whoever is after these Tokays hasn't found the village recently featured on a TGN travel program. The village has specialized in tokays. They breed them, then dry and process them for sale.

There's a lot of wild claims about the benefits of Tokay on the net from companies selling them for cancer HIV research to actual claims it can cure cancer, Asthma, HIV and chronic skin conditions.

Edited by Farma

This seems like a good thread to celebrate the return of my newly repaired computer.

A couple of kilos of Tokay and I could afford a new one.

I know where there is a monster Tokey, must be 2 foot 6 long. It lives on the side of a guest house bungalow in Chiang Rai, and catches the bugs that collect on the mozzie screen when the light is on.

But I'm not going to tell anyone which guesthouse.......:D

This seems like a good thread to celebrate the return of my newly repaired computer.

A couple of kilos of Tokay and I could afford a new one.

I know where there is a monster Tokey, must be 2 foot 6 long. It lives on the side of a guest house bungalow in Chiang Rai, and catches the bugs that collect on the mozzie screen when the light is on.

But I'm not going to tell anyone which guesthouse.......:D

I bet its days are numbered! That is a big one indeed. At our old bungalow, we had an albino one about 20 inches long that the prior tenants named "Iggy". It would catch scorpions and bring them to us when we were eating to show us he was doing his job.

My sources tell me, that on local Thai web-sites, this is being revealed as yet-another scam, to suck the gulible punters in, and then try to trick them into gambling. <_<

Of course this is totally impossible, unless the BiBs also endorse the tokays-are-valuable-rumour, in which case, Heads-up ! B)

My sources tell me, that on local Thai web-sites, this is being revealed as yet-another scam, to suck the gulible punters in, and then try to trick them into gambling. <_<

Of course this is totally impossible, unless the BiBs also endorse the tokays-are-valuable-rumour, in which case, Heads-up ! B)

Yes it is some kind of pyrimid scheme to get you to invest in tokay farming and get your friends to invest in tokay farming while kicking back money to the scam artists.

So where's the maid?

I suppose you don't need to eat 10 tokay's when the maid is involved.

I ate 6 Tokays today but only 4 worked.

The devil made me do it .......

Being a Canadian and not a Kiwi, Kn. IanForbes reports that the 4 that worked only worked when he was looking at girl Tokays....

:D :D

a family of geckos live in a bit of roof space at my place. they come out at night and have never been any bother. sometimes you see their droppings and you can clearly see semi digested cockroaches and bits of scorpion. it is very rare to see a cockroach or a scorpion at my place so i think they do a brilliant job hunting them every night. i am glad they are there! the last i heard, about 10 years ago kids could get about 30-50 baht per gecko they had killed with their catapults.