23 Inches Of Room For Airline Seat.

gotlost

I just freaked out looking at the sets of seats & theres absolutely NO WAY that I would be found even dead crammed into a seat space like that on a flight - No way.

Notice they didnt even bother showing two people sitting side by side in the seats because theres just no room, thats shocking.

Also, its a safety issue that all people should be concerned with, the 'other' spaces in planes were designed with an idea to a maximum amount of people using them, cramming more people into seats that are more closely spaced will create problems in the isles, toilet areas & in the event of an emergency you will have even more people all trying to use the limited amount of escape routes.

Yes I have seen this already. Some airlines are even thinking of trying bed bunks.

How cheap a ticket are people prepared to pay?

You won't be a customer but just a package.

Trust the Yanks to think of these things first, I was expecting airasia maybe.

Yes I have seen this already. Some airlines are even thinking of trying bed bunks.

I don't think the US has the worst airlines. I have flown all the cheapies in the US, nothing is as bad there as Ryan air....bottom of the barrel. I agree with the previous poster...I will never fly them again.

I don't think the US has the worst airlines. I have flown all the cheapies in the US, nothing is as bad there as Ryan air....bottom of the barrel. I agree with the previous poster...I will never fly them again.

I didn't say the US had the worst airlines, just that they thought of the ideas. Then other airlines act upon it.

I didn't say the US had the worst airlines, just that they thought of the ideas. Then other airlines act upon it.

:jap: Sorry! The US might have led this area with Southwest airlines. It is a cattle car airline, but cheap...efficient...and fairly good. I think Europe has taken over this area with so many budget airlines it's hard to keep track now! The thing that bothered me about Ryan Air is all the add-ons. I've even heard they are considering charging to use the toilet! :realangry:

Uhh ...... no thanks.

Air-sickness, bad need for a piss break, claustrophobia, bad breath, b.o., emergency exit.

Just a few of the many no-go reasons for me.

For sure...but if it was a one hour flight, and...say...$75 vs. $200 for a regular flight...I would go for it. I rarely make (save) $125 an hour!

Uhh ...... no thanks.

Air-sickness, bad need for a piss break, claustrophobia, bad breath, b.o., emergency exit.

For sure...but if it was a one hour flight, and...say...$75 vs. $200 for a regular flight...I would go for it. I rarely make (save) $125 an hour!

The seat-pitch of 23-24 inches, compared to a 'normal' one of perhaps 30 inches, might suggest that an extra 20% more seats might be crammed-in, but all the per-passenger costs (such as airport-tax) would remain unchanged, so I'm not sure there would be such a large reduction in ticket-price ? It would certainly make an interesting study.

Perhaps these seats might better be used, with limited-headroom and no windows, in the belly-hold of the aircraft, so that the LCC might offer normal-Economy-Class upstairs, and a sort of cheaper 'Under-Class' downstairs ? :D

I've also seen pictures of a 'mock-up', showing passengers pre-seated in the terminal-building, with seating mounted on pallets for faster-loading, perhaps this too could be used to utilise the hold-space, on wide-bodied jets at least ? A step further beyond the main-deck freight/passenger 'Combi-configuration' sometimes found on 747s or 737s ?

I wonder what passenger-density was achieveable, in the 'good old days', in the hold of a slave-ship ? :o I'm sure the guys at Ryanair might be able to tell us. B)

Edited by Ricardo

The mind boggles

I am 6.3" and 120 kg, the normal seats are very small, but when I am in the US of A, I feel very average in size, cannot see that many Americans fitting into such a seat..

Maybe if these seat were in Asian planes were many people are smaller in size

I am not sure where all this is going but can only assume it is only going to get worse.

Merging airlines Tiger Airways and Thai International will start a Thai Tiger Airways.

Also ANA just announced they will start a low cost airline.

more bed concepts:

Skycouches

Bunks Beds

Ryanair chief wants only one pilot on flights. Ok Michael O'Leary enough already! Cheapskate!

Read Here

World Pilot Salaries:

Airline Pilot Salaries

Edited by LindsayBKK

Uhh ...... no thanks.

For sure...but if it was a one hour flight,

1hr flight, 350 miles or so, plus 1-2 hr preflight and another 1-2 postflight, 3-5 hr total

or 5-6 hr drive, comfortable vehicle, no pain in the ass passengers, anything I want to eat/drink, leave/arrive on my schedule, I'll take the drive every day of the week.

Taken the ferry and train with car to A'dam from London, as well as the direct flight. I much prefer the drive.

Although with my experiences in Japan, I could see where something like this could be all the rage there in a year or two.

epic failure of a post. europeans were the ones that dreamed this up. it will be shown at the american expo.

Uhh ...... no thanks.

For sure...but if it was a one hour flight,

1hr flight, 350 miles or so, plus 1-2 hr preflight and another 1-2 postflight, 3-5 hr total

or 5-6 hr drive, comfortable vehicle, no pain in the ass passengers, anything I want to eat/drink, leave/arrive on my schedule, I'll take the drive every day of the week.

Taken the ferry and train with car to A'dam from London, as well as the direct flight. I much prefer the drive.

Although with my experiences in Japan, I could see where something like this could be all the rage there in a year or two.

I live in Japan. Japanese people are very demanding customers. When I buy a ticket here for overseas travel, it comes with a booklet and tons of other information to show me where to shop, sightsee, telephone number of the airline overseas etc. Most use Shinkansen (bullet train) for long distance travel within Japan and the train seats are very, very comfortable. Even domestic train seats are bigger than most European metros. We also have an option of spending an extra 1000 yen (12 dollars) for a guaranteed seat in subways if you don't feel like standing during rush hours. Budget airlines will not be popular here because families travel to Hawaii or California or Paris after Papa gets his 3 months of bonus salary every summer and winter. They want luxury travel because they can afford it. So, I don't think Ryan Air style of budget travel will work here. I will assure you that if ANA starts to offer a budget airline service, they will provide comfortable seats.

Max2010

You really ain't seen nothing yet. Ryanair have mooted the idea of doing away with the co-pilot (not needed on budget flights) and standing room only at the back. For a glimpse of the future take a look Here. Of course Ryanair are constricted in much of what they want to do by various regs...but they are pushing the envelope and making people think. And to be honest do you need to sit on 1-2 hour flight ? I've spent that amount of time standing on many train journeys in the UK and I'm by no means convinced that your safer sitting down than standing up when push comes to shove.