Nam Tok Moo

favre360

Ok so i've had to go back to the states to make more money but I have this craving.... not for som tam...... not cao gra-pow kai dow mai pet, but for NAM TOK MOOOO (WATERFALL PORK). Everyone whos had it knows what it is knows its the best food ever made. WHAT I KNOW: Is thst the pork is first grilled over charcoal then chopped up into a boiling broth and then the spices are added. Sugar, salt, lime, dried chill, and those leaves that taste like mint. Does anyone happen to know any recipes or what cut of pork is used. Blade, loin, tenderloin... neither would surprise. Thanks for the much needed help thois has been quite a craving of mine for weeks and only Thai restaurants in NY servre nam tok nguya (beef).:bah:

Common mates, I know how to make sticky rice and im soo hungry, this is ultimatly my favourite thai food. When I lived in Bangkok I worked that this school (Annuban Samgsom(lol)). It was a nice kindetgarten and i got the job with no drgree because I have an understandable upstate ny accent. The children were lovely, I taught 22 hrs a week and made 40,000 bah a montht. My beautiful tgf and i would go to samet at least every other weekend and samui/phi phi when we both got time off school. Each place had delicious nam tok moo and their own deffierent recipes but the one on the soi corner..... nontha-buri soi 33 made the best nam tok ive ever had. And I had even lived in lam lukka for 6 months!! I need this recipe and if anyone knows how to make crspy pork that would be good too (pork shoulder fried in oil?? the lpg kind??))

And p.s. if you want the best hamburgers ever made (take it from me i'm american) check out the burger lady on koh samet. It's adjacent to Silversands and there's a club right across form it. It doesn't open till like 6:00pm but the food and especially the fries are cooked to perfection. WANRNING: Be very upfront with burger lady. If you're drunk (you will be) on new years eve, make sure you're very clear with your order she aint got time for bs cause she wants to make them dukkets:lol:

Thai food sucks in America including Nam Tok Mu which I also love. I don't know what it is probably something they put in it that would violate health standards here but Nam Tok Farang is Mai Aroi!

I just saw a video where they had a small container filled with MSG (I thought it was some kind of pepper salt mixture.

Pork neck is what is usually used...bbq it. Maybe add a bit of salt before the bbq. Slice it, add cilantro, green onion, mint, lime, fish sauce, chili powder, rice powder (pan fried rice until brown, put in blender), 2 tsp of hot water...put in a bowl and do it according to your taste. Mix this with the pork and you should be all set.

We lived in NY and I agree...the Thai food there is not really good. We never ate out at the Thai restaurants. Being here in Thailand is great! Love the food.... :D

Pork neck is what is usually used...bbq it. Maybe add a bit of salt before the bbq. Slice it, add cilantro, green onion, mint, lime, fish sauce, chili powder, rice powder (pan fried rice until brown, put in blender), 2 tsp of hot water...put in a bowl and do it according to your taste. Mix this with the pork and you should be all set.

We lived in NY and I agree...the Thai food there is not really good. We never ate out at the Thai restaurants. Being here in Thailand is great! Love the food.... :D

yo craigyt! youre the man this is just what I was looking for. I def need a charcoal grill for this as I remember always seeing them charring the pork before the broil. Maybe I'll set up my own stand in the middle of my townhouse complex lmao. People would pay at least $4 for a waterfall pork and sticky rice combo that's so delicious!!! ny asian foos is bs end od story. even the restaurant near where I live "Phuket Thai" is owned by this lady who laimed to be essan but when I spoke to her she responded in Lao. Bull!! No wonder the nam tok nguya tasted luke warm and the sticky rice was different. Not that I dislike lao food, it just seems that all the cooks that migrate here are hacks. I'm a body builder so it's important to me that I get fresh food and none of the chemically enhanced stuff. The closer to the source and the more natural your food is, the more years you add to your life. LMAO from the guy smookin hooka with Kush jwh-018!! Legal in NY and Thailand actually.

And p.s. if you want the best hamburgers ever made (take it from me i'm american) check out the burger lady on koh samet. It's adjacent to Silversands and there's a club right across form it. It doesn't open till like 6:00pm but the food and especially the fries are cooked to perfection. WANRNING: Be very upfront with burger lady. If you're drunk (you will be) on new years eve, make sure you're very clear with your order she aint got time for bs cause she wants to make them dukkets:lol:

Edited by Mario2008
flaming post removed

yo craigyt! youre the man this is just what I was looking for. I def need a charcoal grill for this as I remember always seeing them charring the pork before the broil. Maybe I'll set up my own stand in the middle of my townhouse complex lmao. People would pay at least $4 for a waterfall pork and sticky rice combo that's so delicious!!! ny asian foos is bs end od story. even the restaurant near where I live "Phuket Thai" is owned by this lady who laimed to be essan but when I spoke to her she responded in Lao. Bull!! No wonder the nam tok nguya tasted luke warm and the sticky rice was different. Not that I dislike lao food, it just seems that all the cooks that migrate here are hacks. I'm a body builder so it's important to me that I get fresh food and none of the chemically enhanced stuff. The closer to the source and the more natural your food is, the more years you add to your life. LMAO from the guy smookin hooka with Kush jwh-018!! Legal in NY and Thailand actually.

" This woman claimed to be from Isaan but when I spoke to her she responded in Laos. "

Well they do speak virtually the same way so how do you know she wasn' from Isaan ? My wife is from Isaan and when we went to Laos on holiday she undersdood everything that Laos people were saying although there are a few differences in vocabulary when you compare Isaan Thai to Laos.

I've never heard it called waterfall pork...strange name.

Nam Tok means waterfall in Thai

:lol: Well there you go...not such a strange name afterall :jap:

and that's what it will do to your insides the next day !

Only if you get a bad dish...it's really not spicy. It's definitely one of my favorite Thai dishes...along with larb moo!

For sure...the Issan part of Thailand speaks Laos (also other languages)...and many call themselves Laos. My wife speaks Laos AND central Thai. Very different languages.

There's a village near her's where they speak a local dialect from Khorat. And of course near Cambodia they speak Khmer. Near Burma, they speak Burmese. Up north they speak Northern Thai. Crazy....

[quote name='chiliwasabi' timestamp='1284424869' post='3881754'

Only if you get a bad dish...it's really not spicy. It's definitely one of my favorite Thai dishes...along with larb moo!

For sure...the Issan part of Thailand speaks Laos (also other languages)...and many call themselves Laos. My wife speaks Laos AND central Thai. Very different languages.

There's a village near her's where they speak a local dialect from Khorat. And of course near Cambodia they speak Khmer. Near Burma, they speak Burmese. Up north they speak Northern Thai. Crazy....

Pretty much every Thai will speak central Thai . It is what is used in schools and on TV, in government etc and also when Thais from different parts of the country meet. What is spoken at home though is another matter. I found when I lived in Isaan that even though I was speaking Thai with people they would still answer me back in Isaan which was a bit strange until I worked out what they were going on about.

Regarding central Thai, Isaan Thai and Laos. I speak Thai fairly fluently and IMO Thai and Isaan share about 50% of the same words although the structure of the language is the same. I reckon that Isaan Thai and Laos are about 95% the same although like I said before there are a few slight differences in vocabulary. The actual Laos alphabet is a bit different as well and there are less letters than in Thai.

There is an already pre made package of Nam Tok spices made by LOBO. You can find it in many Asian supermarkets here in the states. I have tried it twice. Not the same, but maybe you can fix it up with Craig's recipe. I'm lucky enough to have a Thai place near me and the owners are from Chiangmai. I have to eat there every week to get my dose of Isan food. I'd eat it every day if my stomach would let me.

40 more days and I'll be back in Chiangmai at my favorite Isan restaurant behind the Montri Hotel.:jap:

I always make it this way:

Koh Moo Yang (Grilled pork neck)

If you can get the pork neck fat cut it is the one the isan shops use, it is a thin piece with fat on both sides

otherwise simply use boston butt (San Koh Moo)

slice it no thicker than 1 inch

marinate in a mix of:

Chili sauce

soybean sauce (salty one)

roasted rice (from a pot or simply roasted and ground raw sticky rice)

put it in a plastic bag and shake well

After 30 minutes - 2 hours marinating you can roast/BBQ the pork

I usually roast them in a oven with grill for 30 minutes but a BBQ will do too

Slice the roasted pork into thin slices and you can eat them immediately with some spicy dip

Now for the nam tok moo:

make a broth with half a knorr cube chicken or pork flavor

put the (left over) pork into a wok

pour in some broth so that it barely covers the pork and bring to a boil (not too much broth cause then you get Tom Saeb)

add a good amount of dried chili flakes (1tbs)

add (fake) lemon juice from a bottle

add fish sauce

Add any herbs you like, usually thai sweet basil, mint, red onion or shallot

after a few minutes of boiling taste it and balance it to your preference with adding fish sauce,lemon juice or some more chili

Some people like it sweet if you do add some sugar

and that's what it will do to your insides the next day !

I thought i was the only one! I love it and eat it regularly but it always messes up my stomach. Can't really figure why. Guess there must be some ingredient in there that disagrees with me.

We are lazy and if we can't be bothered turning on the grill we just brown our slab of pork in a dry frying pan so it's not greasy. Once it's browned outside and still pink inside we chop it up and then throw back in the pan for a few seconds with the spices and juices, just enough so the pork is cooked but still tender. Such an easy dish and so yummy.

OK yes technically it is waterfall pork but really it means the marinade dripping off the pork. Nam can also just mean liquid.