Whats The Strangest Thing You'Ve Ever Seen Here?

thailandbluegrass

A couple of months ago I was in this hi-so gourmet restaurant watching this really interesting cultural show by the most talented artist performers when this foreign person interrupted the proceedings with his own talent show which seemed to consist of blowing cola out of his nose. Very strange! All the patrons were as amazed as I. I bet he didn't have a work permit either!

(Sorry, Thaddeus. Just could not resist it)!

Git. :)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samui residents circa 2003-2005 will remember the ferang woman in her early 30's who used to get naked and stand around the center of Chaweng at random times talking to her self. She was as mad as ten bears. Tourists used to stare at her open mouthed. The police mostly just left her alone which is a blessing as she was on a huge overstay. I remember once me and a pal sitting on deck chairs on the beach and she sat down opposite us and just said "hey, wassup" whilst completley naked. Her legs were hmm, spread wide open leaving her bits to just hang out. It was surreal.

Rumours used to fly around about her but the most accepted rumour was that she was a pianist by trade and came to samui for some time out, ventured down the road of yabba and mekong whisky and totaly lost the plot.

Not to sound crass, but she actualy had a real nice pair of boobs - pretty dam_n huge also.

Samui residents circa 2003-2005 will remember the ferang woman in her early 30's who used to get naked and stand around the center of Chaweng at random times talking to her self. She was as mad as ten bears. Tourists used to stare at her open mouthed. The police mostly just left her alone which is a blessing as she was on a huge overstay. I remember once me and a pal sitting on deck chairs on the beach and she sat down opposite us and just said "hey, wassup" whilst completley naked. Her legs were hmm, spread wide open leaving her bits to just hang out. It was surreal.

Rumours used to fly around about her but the most accepted rumour was that she was a pianist by trade and came to samui for some time out, ventured down the road of yabba and mekong whisky and totaly lost the plot.

Not to sound crass, but she actualy had a real nice pair of boobs - pretty dam_n huge also.

Remember her.

when I was travelling with a pretty Thai lady from Sakhon Nakon.

I'm waiting for one of your posts that says "I was travelling with a Thai lady with a face like a bulldog licking piss from a thistle" or " I once knew a young Thai lady whose face resembled a robber's dog's arse" Ian. :D

That is the beauty of Thailand, MCA, as you well know. A reasonably fit male of ANY age can pick some young lovely as a traveling companion. There is no need to travel with the butt end of a hog. I see enough of that in Canada. For a single man with a reasonable amount of money, Thailand is heaven. My love life was never this active or varied in my twenties. I'm just lucky I never discovered Thailand in my twenties or I might never have gotten married. Now I've got the best of both worlds. :)

• Like 1

I'm glad you put that disclaimer in, but the real question is were you wearing shorts or trousers with the white socks? The sock looks to be quite high up the leg which does need a separate disclaimer for itself.

I discovered in my early trips to Asia that us tenderfoots feet get sore if we do any amount of walking in rubber sandals. I do a lot of walking and after three or four miles my feet get sore if I don't wear socks. It takes a while for a westerners feet to harden up. For me it usually takes about a month. Because I never grew up walking around in bare feet I've always had tender tootsies. If I buy a pair of rubber sandals today I always glue insoles onto the bottom. The past few years I've brought leather soled sandals with me from Canada and they are much better. The sandals are made in China, but imported goods are MUCH cheaper in Canada than they are in Thailand. Why that is so I have no idea... but it's true. Same goes for good running shoes. I can buy a good pair of running shoes in Canada for much less than similar quality in Thailand.

But, I'm STILL a tenderfoot. :lol:

The twice daily MK staff dance

Needs to be seen to be believed. Would be classed as a crime against humanity in the West. Thai diners pretend nothing's happening while I don't know whether to die from laughter, pity or pure shame to be watching it from outside.

does that take place on regular schedule?

Needs to be seen to be believed. Would be classed as a crime against humanity in the West. Thai diners pretend nothing's happening while I don't know whether to die from laughter, pity or pure shame to be watching it from outside.

Where was that located? A few years ago, we went to a restaurant where they did the same thing. I can't recall the name of the restaurant, but it was located in one of the Malls north of BKK, possibly Future Park. My son-in-law said it happens on a regular basis. I think the dancing lasted about 5 minutes or so.

Has anyone ever noticed how most of the waitresses at MK are considerably shorter than the general populace?? Most are less than 5' tall. Whats that all about??

ian.

re .... I later learned that the bug was a rhinocerous beetle and are often kept as pets.

and heres the male..... doing what males like to do : )

enjoy ... dave2

Thanks for the picture, Dave. I saved it and might use it in some other topic. :lol: ... possibly in Bedlam where everyone enjoys having a "go" at each other.

a street cleaner spent forty minutes yesterday trying to get my cat to pick the lottery numbers.

I mentioned this to my wife. She didn't even raise an eyebrow at it, then told me how the ladies in the village use a turtle to pick numbers. I didn't get it all, but they put a turtle in a box with numbers on pieces of paper. Somehow, a number is selected and off they go! And since none are the richer, I am guessing it doesn't work very well! :lol:

While outside the house just before dawn, I saw something walk out from under the car.

At first I thought it was a land crab, then no not that. maybe a giant spider.

When it went back under the car I realized it was a toad walking on all fours.

I didn't know they could do that. The lighting wasn't all that good, so I can't

be 100% certain, but I'm fairly certain it was a toad.

Has anyone ever noticed how most of the waitresses at MK are considerably shorter than the general populace?? Most are less than 5' tall. Whats that all about??

You're not going to Central Plaza Land Of Oz branch are you?

We've all see grossly overloaded vehicles, like the elephants in the back of a regular pickup truck or entire families on scooters. The worst I've seen is 7 teenage students with a guitar and small amplifier squeeze their way onto a scooter. Two of them were standing and leaning outwards, one holding the guitar and the other holding the amplifier while their buddies anchored them. It looked very much like a circus act. It was at a beach and everybody nearby was howling with laughter as the scooter slowly started to move. Amazingly, they made it up the hill going away from the beach, but what happened after that I'm afraid to think about.

Some of the "dancing establishments" in Pattaya have a similar tradition before opening the doors to bring good luck and good customers. Now that is something to be seen !!!!

You're not going to Central Plaza Land Of Oz branch are you?

The short MK girls are at every branch I have ever seen in the LOS and that means many...

My mother in law pawning her gold for me when I was skint . I'm sure that doesn't happen every day to many people. On this forum anyway !

twice for me. once when we bought our house in Bangkok and we needed furniture my MIL and FIL lent us 300k. these guys are not wealthy at all but had that in life savings. then about 4 months ago again, but this time she pawned her gold along with my wife to help get us by when we took over our small restaurant. I was not told about this, I only found out when I came into a little money and my wife asked for 160k, I said no way honey this staying in the bank until biz picks up again.

then she told me about the gold! I was very suprised they have that amount in the house. but very grateful for the help.

so it does and can happen.:)

• Like 2

My mother in law pawning her gold for me when I was skint . I'm sure that doesn't happen every day to many people. On this forum anyway !

twice for me. once when we bought our house in Bangkok and we needed furniture my MIL and FIL lent us 300k. these guys are not wealthy at all but had that in life savings. then about 4 months ago again, but this time she pawned her gold along with my wife to help get us by when we took over our small restaurant. I was not told about this, I only found out when I came into a little money and my wife asked for 160k, I said no way honey this staying in the bank until biz picks up again.

then she told me about the gold! I was very suprised they have that amount in the house. but very grateful for the help.

it certainly does.

my MIL is a 5 ft nothing streetwise fireball that is not to be crossed if you get on the wrong side of her, but has a heart of gold to boot when comes to matters concerning family.

on our wedding day both i and my wife received gold chains, buddha and chatukham amulets, as well as a lump some of money

on more than one occasion she has helped out by pawning or selling valuable gold chains and diamond rings from trips to chinatown (yawalat). so that we could get all three of the businesses up and running. has also helped out with money requirement concerning visas, when i needed a cash boost.

shes not a wealthy person by any stretch of the imagination, but i guess by raising 9 children almost single handedly shes learnt a trick or two along the way and become a very shrewd and wise old lady. and it shows from the amount of love and respect shown to her from all generations within the family.

Edited by tigerfish
  • Like 2

it certainly does.

my MIL is a 5 ft nothing streetwise fireball that is not to be crossed if you get on the wrong side of her, but has a heart of gold to boot when comes to matters concerning family.

on our wedding day both i and my wife received gold chains, buddha and chatukham amulets, as well as a lump some of money

on more than one occasion she has helped out by pawning or selling valuable gold chains and diamond rings from trips to chinatown (yawalat). so that we could get all three of the businesses up and running. has also helped out with money requirement concerning visas, when i needed a cash boost.

shes not a wealthy person by any stretch of the imagination, but i guess by raising 9 children almost single handedly shes learnt a trick or two along the way and become a very shrewd and wise old lady. and it shows from the amount of love and respect shown to her from all generations within the family.

Guys.. The 3 of you add to the list of the strangest things I for sure have seen here. I mean, you come as a foreigner to a developing country to leech onto your Thai girlfriends mother and father that are not wealthy. They have to pawn gold for you to make a living here and to buy some furniture. Thats not cool at all. If you re that potless and I seriously think you should have stayed home. mellow.gif

• Like 2

:blink:

How could that happen?

Your "small" restaurant was that expensive that 160k would hardly cover the fittings in the Lady's restroom? :whistling:

• Like 1

You beat me to it Tigerfish.

I think it's pretty cool that they help out. Because of it we have a nice place to live and my wife and I could buy into our own business.

Plus we give as well. I paid off a car for them one time. So it works both ways.

Oh yeah and we all live together in one big house. It's handy coz they also babysit the little man while we go and work.

So we are all very happy. You?

• Like 1

it certainly does.

Guys.. The 3 of you add to the list of the strangest things I for sure have seen here. I mean, you come as a foreigner to a developing country to leech onto your Thai girlfriends mother and father that are not wealthy. They have to pawn gold for you to make a living here and to buy some furniture. Thats not cool at all. If you re that potless and I seriously think you should have stayed home. mellow.gif

Luckily for you, I already reached my quota of given negative rep points for the day...

Maybe a kind admin could up my quota? thx.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

Certainly strange ....but horrifying

Morning of December 26 2004

from about 4 hundred meters out in Patong bay looking shoreward watching Patong "disappear"

Morning of Dec 28th 2004

Khoalak ...just sand and concrete where the beautiful resorts once existed..... body bags everywhere...heart wrenching!

• Like 2