Water Shortage: Bad Water Delivery!

syd barrett

In Pattaya, and I would guess many other areas there is a severe water shortage and drought. A few months ago, my apartment block began having water delivered regularly by water tankers.

At first, I had no problems with this, however I began stockpiling a few plastic containers with this water and noticed it was cloudy and dirty. All right for flushing the toilet and general cleaning, but I guessed, best not to let it pass my lips.

My first illness was gastro-enteritis, vomiting and diarrhea lasting six days. Unproven link to this water; maybe food, maybe virus.

Second; an incredible rash all over my back and shoulders. Really severe, steroidal cream cleared it up quickly, I thought it was a severe sweat rash; it has been hot!

Third; I developed the most worst acne facial spot erruption I have ever had in my life. Worse than a teenager's. I had close to fifty white heads on my face and a severe erruption on my forehead. That was one month ago only now is it just returning to normal.

As I type this, I have a severe rash on one arm, which is a serious of blisters that come and go.

I understand that some of this tanker water comes from 'the land' or other dodgy sources. Has anyone else had this problem?

I began thinking about tropical diseases I have read about found in water: worm infections, river blindness, parasites, amaoeba disease etc. Perhaps one should use this water for flushing the toilet ONLY and not for bathing?

I am sure my skin complaints are from this 'dirty water' but if this is happening to me, I would guess someone, somewhere is suffering just as I am.

I am sure my skin complaints are from this 'dirty water' but if this is happening to me, I would guess someone, somewhere is suffering just as I am.

You are not alone Syd... the tankers that are currently roaming around Pattaya selling water because the Eastern Water Authority selectively turn on the town water supply to selective areas do not always collect their water from a clean and reliable source. :o

I have seen water trucks collecting water from roadside swamps... and who knows what breeds in them? :D

If I can give you a few tips....

1. Always brush your teeth in water that comes in a bottle... those 20 litre containers are fine for drinking and also for your mouth hygiene.

2. Use a medicated soap like Dettol... if your skin irritations continue try a baby soap instead.

3. For your face, after wahing use a skin cleanser like Clinique Clarifying Lotion... its a hydrocarbon-based cleanser that not only removes dirt and grime, but also kills bacteria.

4. If you have to wash your food, eg. salads etc, use bottled or boiled water, not tap water. My missus boils a couple of lites of water a day and keeps it stored separately... for the express purpose of washing food and doing the dishes.

5. Washing your clothes - use a good detergent and make sure it is thoroughly dry... preferrably in sunlight as the sun will kill most bacteria.

6. Get a good cream such as Dermovate and apply it at the slightest sign of a rash or skin irritation.

Other more knowledgable people may be able to offer your more clinical advice, but as a layman experiencing similar problems, I thought I'd pass on to you what we're doing to combat the possibility of disease or sickness.

In Pattaya, and I would guess many other areas there is a severe water shortage and drought. A few months ago, my apartment block began having water delivered regularly by water tankers.

At first, I had no problems with this, however I began stockpiling a few plastic containers with this water and noticed it was cloudy and dirty. All right for flushing the toilet and general cleaning, but I guessed, best not to let it pass my lips.

My first illness was gastro-enteritis, vomiting and diarrhea lasting six days. Unproven link to this water; maybe food, maybe virus.

Second; an incredible rash all over my back and shoulders. Really severe, steroidal cream cleared it up quickly, I thought it was a severe sweat rash; it has been hot!

Third; I developed the most worst acne facial spot erruption I have ever had in my life. Worse than a teenager's. I had close to fifty white heads on my face and a severe erruption on my forehead. That was one month ago only now is it just returning to normal.

As I type this, I have a severe rash on one arm, which is a serious of blisters that come and go.

I understand that some of this tanker water comes from 'the land' or other dodgy sources. Has anyone else had this problem?

I began thinking about tropical diseases I have read about found in water: worm infections, river blindness, parasites, amaoeba disease etc. Perhaps one should use this water for flushing the toilet ONLY and not for bathing?

In America, you'd be on the cusp of a multi million $ lawsuit.

Here though, I'd say your best bet is a couple of tubes of Smooth E creme and changing to store bought bottled water for washing your face/brushing your teeth, etc.

:o

TORNADO:

Regularly; have done so for 20+ years, there can be no connection between, gastro-enteritis, body skin rashes and erruptions and facial acne from beer.

not correct actually Syd, but if you think its the water Ill agree to :o

The Gentleman Scamp might want to post about his rashes and skin legions from drinking to much alcohol?

anyway, the water in some parts is far from healthy, trying rubbing your own urine on affected areas - you will be surprised!

Have you ever heard the term honey wagon? Those are the tanker trucks that come around to pump out your septic tank. They also work perfect for hauling water.

a) not let it pass your lipps in the worst case you could be dead.

:o don't let it come into your ears (I got in Krabi a very bad ear infection and I had good luck, that I can still hear almost normal on this ear).

c) if you use it to wash fruits or vegetables, cook it before or take the cheapest drinking water. After boiling 5 min. nearly everything dangerous is dead. You can also boil to sterile, but it is a bit difficult if necessary I can dig out the methode.

if there is no other way, drinking a real strong coffee (no milk) before and after eating/drinking something dangerous. Or even better drink a glas of wiskey before and after....

That makes your stomach more sour, so bacteria and virus can not pass it so easy.

Drinking beer while eating makes it easier to survive for them.

I don't know about possible skin problems, but it might also happen.

urine on effected areas, hmm, you might also get rid of your friends.......

Maybe, but not sure. it helps to reduce soap or use a very mild one. usually the skin has a good protection, but some of the protection is washed away with soap and allows bacteria to enter easier.

tornado is correct:

urine works on funguses like athletes foot, not on other things as much, it doesnt stink if u drink enough water

must boil water for at least 10 minutes at a real 9o degree centigrade boil (like pasteurizing milk), not in a quick heat electric kettle thing, will kill most giardia etc things

do like one of the queens a couple hundred years ago... bathe in milk (sorry couldnt help it...)