Famous Gems / Gold Scam Caught In Hidden Camera At Royal Temple, Bangkok

nikkoid66

it's still prvt..

just open the video.. no one is "going to come after you". this isnt new news, and the low-level scammers you encountered have no power, and no means to find you. Neither by your TV or Youtube account. The gems you saw them fluanting were either borrowed (from the shop that was in on the scam), or just plain fake.

And for the record, SHAME ON YOU for listening even one second to someone telling you that a special place (a "Royal" gem store, no less) in Thailand was open once in 33 years, just for that day. That's a clear load of <deleted> in any language in any part of the world. Thank goodness (for you) they didnt manage to pull off the scam.

• 1 month later...

This made me laugh very hard, thanks for bringing light to a lazy Sunday biggrin.gif

Once open every 33 years and you just happened to be there on that day, poor tourists that came a day later, they missed it, have to wait another 33 biggrin.gif

Also what you hear a lot is the "special Buddha day". Only today, special price, just go back the next day and, surprise surprise, it is a "special Buddha day" again.

Just keep your wits about you, don't fall for these "subtle" scams.

In your home country, would you ever play the game with one ball hiding under one of three cups? I guess you won't, then don't do it here too.

I wish I was born a scammer and travelled to Thailand, I would be so rich by now biggrin.gif

Some people really leave their brain at home when they go on a holiday.

So have a nice "special Buddha day" everyone.

• 6 months later...

I experienced a recent tourist scam, fitting the typical "gem scam" scenarios found in tourist areas of Bangkok.

On May 21, at noon, rounding the corner at the Bangkok Art and Culture Center, a middle-aged Thai man approached me directly, saying "Closed!"

I asked "This place?" referring to the aforementioned center.

He answered "Shopping!"

"All shopping? MBK? Paragon" I queried, as I watched shoppers on the skywalk overhead, streaming into Siam Discovery shopping center.

"All shopping. Today holiday!" He insisted with a straight face.

This is the typical first approach by a tuk-tuk driver involved with the gem scams. Telling the tourist everything (ALL SHOPPING VENUES??) are closed, and then proposing to you take shopping on a "special" itinerary where they are paid commission. Usually scammer gem shops.

Familiar with the gem scams, I brushed him off, but not before I mounted the nearby pedestrian skywalk, snapping this picture. He had just walked back to his tuk tuk, waiting for a more naive first-time tourist to cross his path.

post-108400-0-90920100-1307162934_thumb.

It's a shame these guys continue to operate with impunity, unchecked by either the tourist police or TAT. They leave a lot of nasty tastes in the mouths of newcomer tourists to Thailand.

Edited by Fookhaht

Well honestly I'm not sure I will keep this video online, some friends told me I may have some trouble if I do, they track all IP and I do not want to have any trouble... I am in a foreign country, who knows who is that guy on the picture, maybe someone very powerful? He had the biggest ruby I have every seen and a lot of gold on him.

I am sad to see you took it down already, and I can understand your fears. But you have nothing to worry about, your friends are wrong. The chance of U-Tube handling over your IP is absolutely non-existant. Even if the IP adress was known, the scammers would have to get your identity from the Internet provider, which is also not going to happen. Finally, what do you think these crooks will do? Harm you and risk all sorts of further investigations?

Anyway, keep up the good work. Highly appreciated.

WB