Famous Gems / Gold Scam Caught In Hidden Camera At Royal Temple, Bangkok

nikkoid66

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=410e77B7Ksk

Here is the full scam as recorded by my camera in june 2010.

You can see the face of the guys also the fake 'Royal Factory"

Of course I had no right to film so I took some risk, enjoy.

This Scam involved on member of the tourist police and another guy who claimed to be from the Royal family, he had a lot of gold and gems on him...

Scams like this have been going on for years in Bangkok, and I'm sure everyone in the tourism ministry knows about them. It's not illegal to sell jewellery at any price the buyer is willing to pay.

Too bad you didn't film the tourist police officer though.

Which royal temple is this? There are several in Bangkok.

Scams like this have been going on for years in Bangkok, and I'm sure everyone in the tourism ministry knows about them. It's not illegal to sell jewellery at any price the buyer is willing to pay.

Yes well done- not that the Ministry will give a crap. I agree it would have been a lot better to have someone in a Thai Police uniform shown on it.. Yet I guess that would have been a lot more dangerous- primarily for your camera that is.

With the age of technology we hope more and more people will leave their camera on, when they think something maybe UP.

I was trying to visit the Royal Palace but it was closed. The policemen saw me disappointed and told me that I should visit the Royal temple that is only open once a year (today) and also told me that I should just after visit the Royal factory as it is only open for 1 day in 33 years to the public. He wrote that on a paper and give it to me, then gave instruction to drive me to a tuktuk.

At this time I didn't filmed because I was very thanks full that this policemen helped me and very excited by this unique opportunity.

Honestly I didn't feel that it was a scam until I arrived to the 'Factory', where I realized that something was fishy, the place was very hidden with dark glasses, no 'Royal Factory' name on it, like a sex shop from outside and all the clients were arriving with Taxi. Nothing royal, and nobody in the shop could confirm me anything the guy told me about the fact that this place is only open for wholesellers except this specific day in 33 years... That's when I realized that maybe it was a scam.

Later I browsed the web and found that a lot of people have been screwed and sometime spent a lot of money because of this scam... I can understand why.

Yes first human response by people to a scam- is that you DO believe everything the person tells you is FACT. Unless you a paranoid sort of person- then you can bearly leave your house.

After you process all the information told to you, you then see if it matches the place you are sent too, the signs match what is said etc. I doubt a person would pick up the scam as soon as a Policeman is supposedly helping you out.

Yet the ONCE in every 33 years is really pushing it- most of Thais scams do go over the top with many Farangs. Same as all their advertising for Worlds greatest this or that and awarded this\that when no awards. No real rules on false advertising in Thai. We are used to more subtle scams from our homeland.

I think many who have been done on the many many scams by lets face No 1 is by the women then thai supposed friends, tour guides, Tuk Tuks, Taxi's, Police, Jewel shops, and have I mentioned women... Anyway for whatever reason we would never have been done with such scams in our homelands- I believe many of us may be more open to deception on a holiday.

My 2 cents

I was trying to visit the Royal Palace but it was closed. The policemen saw me disappointed and told me that I should visit the Royal temple that is only open once a year (today) and also told me that I should just after visit the Royal factory as it is only open for 1 day in 33 years to the public. He wrote that on a paper and give it to me, then gave instruction to drive me to a tuktuk.

At this time I didn't filmed because I was very thanks full that this policemen helped me and very excited by this unique opportunity.

Honestly I didn't feel that it was a scam until I arrived to the 'Factory', where I realized that something was fishy, the place was very hidden with dark glasses, no 'Royal Factory' name on it, like a sex shop from outside and all the clients were arriving with Taxi. Nothing royal, and nobody in the shop could confirm me anything the guy told me about the fact that this place is only open for wholesellers except this specific day in 33 years... That's when I realized that maybe it was a scam.

Later I browsed the web and found that a lot of people have been screwed and sometime spent a lot of money because of this scam... I can understand why.

Are you sure that the Royal Palace was really closed? Lots of scams start near the palace when tuk tuk divers/tour guides/friendly people helping you etc say - sorry the Palace is closed today but......

I was told that the Royal palace never closed but hey - I've been scammed before :rolleyes:

The Royal Palace never close , you just have to walk in from the main entrance, every day there are nicely dressed people outside the palace waiting to scam a tourist. Just ignore them.

The Royal Palace never close , you just have to walk in from the main entrance, every day there are nicely dressed people outside the palace waiting to scam a tourist. Just ignore them.

Rhaaaa, I'm not sure now... I would rather spend my time in the Royal Palace. But this lesson didn't cost me anything and was finally a good experience. Next time I will be more careful. But if you cannot trust the tourist police, who you can trust?

Well, you can USUALLY trust the tourist police, but your video shows an exception. Now it's worth an attempt to show the powers that be the scam in question - you've got the scammers face on it. If I were you, I'd mail it to the Royal Bureau, Chief of Police for that locality, Ministry of Tourism with a letter with Thai translation. A Thai contact will no doubt suggest other people/places to send it to. The most important thing to tell them is that you copying this in to various media agencies out of disgust. Huge shame you didn't get the tourist policeman on the vid, but the other guy MAY be susceptable to Lese Majeste by lying about a "Royal" establishment which doesn't exist, just to get a commission.

If I were you, I'd mail it to the Royal Bureau, Chief of Police for that locality, Ministry of Tourism with a letter with Thai translation. A Thai contact will no doubt suggest other people/places to send it to. The most important thing to tell them is that you copying this in to various media agencies out of disgust.

I would send to the media outlets first and let the Ministry know after the fact.

Great expose' OP!

The two most important things for every Thailand tourist to remember: mai ao ไม่เอา

I was approached by a guy years ago outside the palace. Told me he would take me to 3 tourist sites for free if I visited a jewelry shop and a tailor shop. I agreed...but was nervous. I did get the tour, but did not buy anything...I guess he got free gas for bringing visitors into the shops. Same thing with the tuk tuk drivers trying to get you to go to the massage parlors.

My wife's uncle is a taxi driver...can't remember the place he got money from, but I think it was Future Park in Rangsit? If he brought in tourists, he got a cut of the entry fee....like 200B each or something like that.

Well, you can USUALLY trust the tourist police, but your video shows an exception. Now it's worth an attempt to show the powers that be the scam in question - you've got the scammers face on it. If I were you, I'd mail it to the Royal Bureau, Chief of Police for that locality, Ministry of Tourism with a letter with Thai translation. A Thai contact will no doubt suggest other people/places to send it to. The most important thing to tell them is that you copying this in to various media agencies out of disgust. Huge shame you didn't get the tourist policeman on the vid, but the other guy MAY be susceptable to Lese Majeste by lying about a "Royal" establishment which doesn't exist, just to get a commission.

this "Tourist Policeman" was he in uniform with a badge & Gun. If not he may just have been a Tourist Police Volunteer posing as a policeman. All true Tourist police must carry gun when in uniform and no non policeman would risk carrying a gun in holster in public, a very serious offense.

The guy working for the Tourist Police, was he dressed in a uniform or did he claim to be off duty?

No he was in an uniform, he was a great guy, I trusted him 100%.

this "Tourist Policeman" was he in uniform with a badge & Gun. If not he may just have been a Tourist Police Volunteer posing as a policeman. All true Tourist police must carry gun when in uniform and no non policeman would risk carrying a gun in holster in public, a very serious offense.

Yeah I think he was a Volunteer, he didn't had a gun, I think I noticed it was written Volunteer on his badge.

Edited by nikkoid66

If I were you, I'd mail it to the Royal Bureau, Chief of Police for that locality, Ministry of Tourism with a letter with Thai translation. A Thai contact will no doubt suggest other people/places to send it to. The most important thing to tell them is that you copying this in to various media agencies out of disgust.

I would send to the media outlets first and let the Ministry know after the fact.

Well honestly I'm not sure I will keep this video online, some friends told me I may have some trouble if I do, they track all IP and I do not want to have any trouble... I am in a foreign country, who knows who is that guy on the picture, maybe someone very powerful? He had the biggest ruby I have every seen and a lot of gold on him.

I was approached by a guy years ago outside the palace. Told me he would take me to 3 tourist sites for free if I visited a jewelry shop and a tailor shop. I agreed...but was nervous. I did get the tour, but did not buy anything...I guess he got free gas for bringing visitors into the shops. Same thing with the tuk tuk drivers trying to get you to go to the massage parlors.

My wife's uncle is a taxi driver...can't remember the place he got money from, but I think it was Future Park in Rangsit? If he brought in tourists, he got a cut of the entry fee....like 200B each or something like that.

tour guides get 100 baht to take anyone to the shop, then 5% of the purchase price. standard for most jewelry shops throughout the Kingdom. Most places give commision. For instance, taxi's get 200 baht to drive you to the Spicy nightclub in Bangkok, that is why the fare is free from anywhere in Bangkok.

And, BTW, the palace is never closed. You were at the wrong entrance. You must enter at the main gate.

I was approached by a guy years ago outside the palace. Told me he would take me to 3 tourist sites for free if I visited a jewelry shop and a tailor shop. I agreed...but was nervous. I did get the tour, but did not buy anything...I guess he got free gas for bringing visitors into the shops.

I went on one of those free tuk tuk tours once too. The tuk tuk asked me to pretend to be interested for 10 minutes in the tailor shop so he could get paid. I did, didn't buy anything of course, and continued on the tour. Was a pretty good deal :)

There were lots of other people in the shop, and they ALL seemed to be buying suits except me, so I guess it works.

And, BTW, the palace is never closed. You were at the wrong entrance. You must enter at the main gate.

He could have arrived after 3:30, when they stop letting people in. People may not expect it to be closed so early, so may be surprised to find that they can't go in.

He had the biggest ruby I have every seen and a lot of gold on him.

May not have been the genuine articles...