Cultrual Driving

More likely that you are used to driving on the other side of the road :o

I am a better driver here and in the UK than I ever was in Belgium or Italy.

I just hate to think what will happen when I take my Thai driving techniques to the UK, probably get locked up before I leave the airport car park.

My Thai wife is a better driver in BKK than I am. The reverse is true in the USA. I guess we are better estimates of what to expect in our own homes.

I felt impressed when first moving to Thailand 5 years ago that thais could deal with the traffic, etc. Now I realise that they are just oblivious to everything that goes on around them. The idea is that other people must look out for them. Friends and neighbours often take me to the airport and when they take a wrong turning I say "didn't you see the sign". Normal reply "you haven't got time to read signs when you're trying to get somewhere quickly" :o

[i felt impressed when first moving to Thailand 5 years ago that thais could deal with the traffic, etc. Now I realise that they are just oblivious to everything that goes on around them. The idea is that other people must look out for them. Friends and neighbours often take me to the airport and when they take a wrong turning I say "didn't you see the sign". Normal reply "you haven't got time to read signs when you're trying to get somewhere quickly" :D

Quality does vary among different Thai drivers :o , but I would say their attention is focused in a much narrower strip in front of them... I've been in a number of cars (taxi and private) that have made crazy lane changes and hard stops without being smashed to bits from behind. In the US, you would almost be guaranteed to be spanked with 4000 lbs of steel, and might even have blame pinned officially on you for cutting someone off or making an unwarranted stop or reckless driving. Obviously, they are paying attention to not running into things in front of them too often... the US has right-of-way, while BKK seems to have right-of-space. :D

What truly frightens me is when my brother-in-law gets on the cell phone and his speed and directional controls literally fall apart... he'll drop from 80 to 40 kp/h and start drifting off to the left as if he is subconsciously trying to protect the world from his poor concentration, but he'll just keep swerving along that way until the call is over!