Do I Need A Phone Line To Install Internet In Cm Rental.

minigab

Hi new to Thai Forum so forgive me if I am making a mistake and cashing in on a question. I am renting a house in Chiang Mai, old city. I sign contracts tomorrow. The phone line is not active or connected, the landlady just cancelled the service. But, I was told instead of re-activating the service I can still get access to the internet - some wireless deal with one of the leading providers. I am not too savy on this. Does anyone out there know about what they are talking about, should I request the phone line be reactivated, or is there another way, as I am NOT worried about using the land line for calls - have mobile, and skype. BUT of course for skype, and other things, do need to access the internet. If someone has ideas, info - let me know??

No - you do not need a phone line. In Thailand you have a number of mobile providers that can supply a 'dongle' AIS/DTAC etc. Buy the device that fits into the USB port and you can pay as you go.

Alternative - CAT (Communication Authority of Thailand). Buy the CDMA device (get some free months) and then pay a fixed monthly rental. you will need your passport for this one.

Happy downloading :D

Welcome to Chiang Mai and the excitement of living right in the middle of the old city. No need for phone lines here. We use a mobile phone as our only phone and AIS for our internet. Both Hubby and I use our laptop computers at the same time, so we opted for the AIS wireless modem -- it was cheaper in the long run than each of us getting one of those dongle thingies. Admittedly, we don't have the portability of getting wireless anywhere we go, but we're not the kind of people who sit around surfing the internet in a public place. We've taken the modem with us on trips in Thailand and just plugged it in whereever we could find an electric outlet.

Some of my friends have those fancy mobile phones where they can access the internet, too.

Many, many options here for life without a landline.

CAT CDMA 3MB over the mobile phone network

cost 6,500bht for USB dongle (3 month access included, subject to promotion), then 790bht a month

It's fast, it works, and you can take it with you ..... no long term contract required.

You can also buy a wired/wireless router that the dongle can plug into if you want to distribute around a house.

CAT office on other side of road to Carrefour on the superhighway

Pantrip Plaza shop 3 doors from Bangkok bank will let you try before you buy for a few days.

Edited by sarahsbloke

3BB - 590+tax, 630. Just need the land-line, but you don't have to have a voice service - can be internet only. Would recomend a land-line for speed - I don't think the wireless options can match hardwired for speed yet. I download a lot of movies, and need the speed.

Sounds great. I am located in the "the boons". How fast is it for download/uploads?

Thanks

cost 6,500bht for USB dongle (3 month access included, subject to promotion), then 790bht a month

It's fast, it works, and you can take it with you ..... no long term contract required.

You can also buy a wired/wireless router that the dongle can plug into if you want to distribute around a house.

Pantrip Plaza shop 3 doors from Bangkok bank will let you try before you buy for a few days.

Sounds great. I am located in the "the boons". How fast is it for download/uploads?

Thanks

If you go to the Pantip CAT CDMA shop you can show them your house location on Google Earth, & they'll show you the nearest CAT masts.  The main CAT office is opposite Big C on the superhwy, not Carrefour, but here they can't help you about mast location.  The pantip shop is a dealer, & will rent the "router" for 300bt per day to test the signal.

went into the CAT shop at Pantrip Plaza today

USB dongle 5,900bht + 790bht a month

Personal wireless Hotspot 7,900bht + 790bht a month

(5 hour battery life or power/charge from mains or USB socket)

I love the personal wireless Hotspot

Speeds, down 3.1Mbps, up 1.8Mbps

cat.jpg

Sorry didn't ask the price of the wired/wireless router you can plug the Dongle into.

My friend gave up on a TOT landline after 5 years of frustration, is using the dongle + router and thinks the CAT is twice the speed as the 1Meg TOT landline, and far more reliable (We live near Doi Saket).

My next house will have one of these in it. Fed up with TOT.

Edited by sarahsbloke

went into the CAT shop at Pantrip Plaza today

USB dongle 5,900bht + 790bht a month

Personal wireless Hotspot 7,900bht + 790bht a month

(5 hour battery life or power/charge from mains or USB socket)

I love the personal wireless Hotspot

Speeds, down 3.1Mbps, up 1.8Mbps

cat.jpg

Sorry didn't ask the price of the wired/wireless router you can plug the Dongle into.

My friend gave up on a TOT landline after 5 years of frustration, is using the dongle + router and thinks the CAT is twice the speed as the 1Meg TOT landline, and far more reliable (We live near Doi Saket).

My next house will have one of these in it. Fed up with TOT.

You have read the small print havent you about being slowed right down if over 4g a month.

I have 3BB and no phone. They ran their own lines.

HI just wondering how much the AIS all cost? As I understand you purchased a modem that sends signal through the house, or wherever you are with electricity wen you travel. And you dont need a "dongle" - the modem allows tow three however many to access the signal, without phone line. And thanks for welcome