Non-O Visa Us

I agree moe666. Most of the non-O advice on the forums are kinda stale.

But in an attempt to dredge up some new stories and fresh content for TV, I'm gonna drive to Laos in a few weeks to apply for a 90 days non-O volunteer visa. Why don't you try Cambodia and we'll both have something the post here? :-)

I agree moe666. Most of the non-O advice on the forums are kinda stale.

But in an attempt to dredge up some new stories and fresh content for TV, I'm gonna drive to Laos in a few weeks to apply for a 90 days non-O volunteer visa. Why don't you try Cambodia and we'll both have something the post here? :-)

Thanks for info but want the non-o before leaving the states.

Made a couple of phone calls today about non-o visa. The Denver Consulate will not issue non-o visa, Portland office only has business hours 8 am to 11am Mon. thru Thurs., El Paso office phone disconnected, Houston talked to nice Thai lady will not issue non-o for visiting friends has to be family member, but no problem with multi tourist visa.

I guess my friend has now become my step son. i could get the tourist visa but there is a couple of things I want to do that will require a non-o.

If anyone has more info please post.

Made a couple of phone calls today about non-o visa. The Denver Consulate will not issue non-o visa, Portland office only has business hours 8 am to 11am Mon. thru Thurs., El Paso office phone disconnected, Houston talked to nice Thai lady will not issue non-o for visiting friends has to be family member, but no problem with multi tourist visa.

I guess my friend has now become my step son. i could get the tourist visa but there is a couple of things I want to do that will require a non-o.

Friend of mine currently in the USA informed me recently that there are apparently many more small helpful Thai Consulates, including one in New Orleans and Alabama.

It could be worth phoning around some more.

Friend of mine currently in the USA informed me recently that there are apparently many more small helpful Thai Consulates, including one in New Orleans and Alabama.

It could be worth phoning around some more.

Thanks for that info. I called Dallas yesterday(not in post) Forest returned call this morning and was more than accomadateing about a non-o visa will be using them in Oct. I think it maybe the money he didn't encourage a free tourist-visa at all. Thanks everyone for info and I will post results of application next month.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the input guys. I called Portland today and Mary the secretary says send the following: Application form, 2 photos, bank statement, letters from friends, $65.00 money order, cashiers check or cash no personal checks and passport. With all of this she will issue a single entry non o visa.

I was going to go with the Dallas office originally but have not been able to reach him and no return call, donot want passport setting in his inbox.

I suggest you spend the extra money and get a multiple entry visa. They can be very handy, and if you decide you need to move around a bit after you get here, you'll still have to pay, as well as spend a day at immigration getting your papers revised.

Sent my passport to Portland, Oregon Consulate on Tuesday last week, with all requested info and payment. Recieved passport back on Thursday signed,, sealed and delivered, I would say that is very good turn around service.

She would only issue me a single entry request for visiting friends, a single is just fine as I will be extending for retirement before it expires.

Thanks all who committed and for your suggestions.

Edited by moe666

She would only issue me a single entry request for visiting friends, a single is just fine as I will be extending for retirement before it expires.

Nice to see an honorary consulate in the States take some self-initiative about flexibility in issuing Non Imm visas. I'm sure they're well aware that other honoraries, like Hull and Perth, have shown such flexibility for years -- without adverse effect from 'authorities.'

I bet you could have also gotten a Non Imm from Portland for the purposes of exploring retirement. But, also probably single entry -- as they gently slide into new avenues of customer service.

I know Mary -- at Portland -- was really upset awhile back when they were told to stop issuing Non Imm O-A visas. Revenge, of sorts, can be sweet.

Which means you are or will be over age 50 so suspect that (possible retirement extension) is the basis for issue of the non immigrant O visa rather than stated visiting friends.

Which means you are or will be over age 50 so suspect that (possible retirement extension) is the basis for issue of the non immigrant O visa rather than stated visiting friends.

Hey Lopburi3, yes I am 50 plus and I used the visiting friends as I have read on this forum in the past that the exploring retirement had been refused in some cases. Since the Portland Consulate has been receptive to issuing for visiting friends it was for me the better choice.

Just for general info I called several consulates and had different responses from each: Denver will only issue single tourist visa and maybe a multi tourist visa with airplane tickets showing travel around asia in response to non-o was to go somewhere else, Dallas will issue multi-non-o and tourist visa, Houston will issue multi-tourist visa but no non-o for visiting friends, and Portland we have discussed. The Dallas office was very receptive about issuing visas but contacting him for follow up was impossible and he didn't return second call. I didn't want to have passport setting in a in box when it was time to leave.

And again thanks to everyone for their input.

Edited by moe666