Avocados Thai Grown

petercallen

Twice we have been able to purchase Thai avocados from Villa Mart, They are larger than the

imported ones have plenty of flesh and ripen in a couple of days if left out of the fridge and are

excellent eating.

We have tried the imported ones and i think they have been refrigerated to long and when you

leave them out to ripen half the flesh is woody and in-editable.

Does anyone know anywhere else you can buy Thai grown avocados

Macro had them last weekend. They usually have the Australian ones, but also have the local ones from time to time, and when I see them I always buy a few. Just made some guacamole last night. I met another expat who orders them by phone from the grower up north and picks them up at the airport next day. The price is good and he thinks it's worth the effort. But then he works near the airport. If you're interested, I can get the contract details for you.

Macro had them last weekend. They usually have the Australian ones, but also have the local ones from time to time, and when I see them I always buy a few. Just made some guacamole last night. I met another expat who orders them by phone from the grower up north and picks them up at the airport next day. The price is good and he thinks it's worth the effort. But then he works near the airport. If you're interested, I can get the contract details for you.

To far away from the airport mate, with a bit of luck someone will come up with a local source.

Also we rent at present and the fridge is to small to store any quantity.

Klong Toey market has them from Chiang Mai at one of the 1st lanes near the Rama 4 Road entrance near traffic lights. Almost half price compared to Villa and quite good.

Errrm........the OP is looking for advocado in Phuket. Could that be why it's in the Phuket sub-forum?

Errrm....... it doesn't show that on The Nation's web page link. Will check the page before I try to help someone again. Edited by VictorMeldrewBKK

I used to see a pickup driving around with an avocado sign on it & I thought they were actually grown in Phuket. Have you tried the hydroponic place on Chao Fa West?

They are only grown in the North of Thailand as far as i Know.

Its takes about 7 years before the trees produce fruit.

The Australian avocados sold here are not mature, they look like the half grown ones from crop thinning on the trees.

They will ripen once picked at any size.

The Thai ones i have bought are mature fruit. and have not been refrigerated and are better tasting.

I know a man who was growing them on Phuket for a few years.

However, they eventually got root rot and they all died.

He gave it a gallant effort.

I believe it is too hot.

Its not to hot here, Avocados like a well drained soil,. the soil here seems to have a lot of clay in it.

This causes the soil to get waterlogged especially in the monsoon season, that's what causes the

root rot and also the landslides when you take the vegetation away and don't put in proper drainage