Adding More Ram

Thetyim

My sons computer is in need of more RAM

I have been offered 2 x 512MB SDRAM

The computer will take a maximum of 512MB but will only take 2 x 256

If I try and use the 512MB sticks what will it do  ?

If you know what it is post the spec of your mainboard, we can then look it up and find out how much RAM it can support.

I am assuming your son's PC is a laptop and if it comes with only two RAM slots. And if the maximum RAM you can install on that machine is 512MB, it should work with either 1 X 512MB or 2 X 256MB. However, 2 X 256MB RAM can be cheaper than 1 X 512MB. Did you look it up on manufacturer website if the max RAM it can support is really 512MB? If the shop says you can install up to 1GB with 2 X 512MB RAMs, let them do it and pay them after you confirm on the monitor screen that the RAM has really been increased to 1GB.

Edited by Nordlys

My sons computer is in need of more RAM

I have been offered 2 x 512MB SDRAM

The computer will take a maximum of 512MB but will only take 2 x 256

If I try and use the 512MB sticks what will it do  ?

If the computer guide says it can only take 2 x 256 then I don't think it will work with 1 x 512!

To read 512 MB in the RAM slot, the connector must have an extra address line connected, compared to a 256 MB slot. If the book says 256 is the max, then I would believe it.

You may get 256 MB out of the 512 stick that you plug in if all the pins are the same (i.e. apart from that extra address line), or you may blow it (the RAM) up or you may damage the PC. Depends how much you want to risk it.

You may find that the 512 just won't plug in - the slot in the connector may be in a different place.

When I bought extra RAM for my new Acer, the buggers sold me 512 MB DDR RAM when it should have been DDR2 - it didn't fit because the slot was in a different place. Naturally, they gave me the right - more expensive - RAM after I complained :o .

My advice: believe the book; "suck it and see" at your peril!

Edit:

Nordlys's advice is good: if a shop says they can do it, make sure they agree to repair the PC if any damage is done, and then let them try. :D

Edited by RDN

Computer is Compaq Presario desktop 5BW284

Pentium P3 800 Mhz

MoBo 06C0h

Presently fitted with 2 x 64 SDRAM PC133

The machine is very good but will need replacing soon

which is why I am reluctant to go out and buy new sdram .

I have been offered 2 x 512 sticks at a resonable price.

If I cannot get this to work is anyone intested in swapping 2 x 256 sticks for 2 x 512 sticks ?

Computer is Compaq Presario desktop 5BW284

Pentium P3 800 Mhz

MoBo  06C0h

Presently fitted with 2 x 64 SDRAM PC133

The machine is very good but will need replacing soon

which is why I am reluctant to go out and buy new sdram .

I have been offered 2 x 512 sticks at a resonable price.

If I cannot get this to work is anyone intested in swapping 2 x 256 sticks for 2 x 512 sticks ?

Thetyim,If you decide to upgrade in the near future I am in the market for a desk top pc

for the daughter in law to help in her school work.

ozzydom

Shivek,

He is a PlayStation addict but I can foresee the day when he will change to the computer.

If he wants to play some serious games then he will need more RAM and better graphics.

If u can see that ur son will be a gamer soon then: Dont add RAM now, when that day comes buy a new PC or mobo which wud allow u 1 GB RAM and a good video card + CPU. :o

I think you are right, Shivek.

It was just that the RAM was offered to me very cheap so I thought it might help to stretch the Compaq out for another year.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring him a new computer this year.

I think you are right, Shivek.

It was just that the RAM was offered to me very cheap so I thought it might help to stretch the Compaq out for another year.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring him a new computer this year.

1 GB RAM, GeForce 5XXX+, and Pentium 4 2.4 GHz is a must these days for PC gaming so dont spend money now. Save it for a better future and PC. :o