Jewelry For My Girlfriend

LuckyInLOS

I'd like to buy some golden jewelry for my girlfriend but the problem is i don't know anything about gold or the jewelry Thai girls like!

We have been together now for over a year year so i like to surprise her with some jewelry, nothing too big because i don't want to give any wrong signals, i don't want to engage or marry her (yet). Something between 5 to 10k THB should be ok i think.

I was thinking about buying her a golden necklace if that doesn't have an extra meaning in Thailand. Where should i take a look in Bangkok? With so many scams and my lack of knowledge about jewelry i have to visit a quality shop.

Some facts:

Isan girl, late twenties

Likes immature stuff, sometimes she buys this hello kitty or miss teen things. I really don't get why mature Thai girls still like that stuff, maybe i should buy her a hello kitty watch instead of gold.

Likes gold but doesn't want to look like a female version of B.A. baracus as she calls some isan girls who are overloaded with gold.

Has a representing job, so i want to buy her something she can wear daily, nothing extravaganza.

Any ideas?

Gold shops are all the place, a 1 baht gold necklace or bracelet is going to cost you in the neighborhood of 19,000 Baht at the current gold price. If you've been here a year, you've seen the gold shops, they display the gold chains on red boards behind the glass cases.

Go for a nice watch instead.

You on drugs or something? Best you do some serious research before wasting your cash!

My nice Isaan Girl to whom I have been happily married with for the past 10 years hocked any gold I bought her (3 pieces in total) back in the first and what was the hardest year of our relationship.

NEVER AGAIN! :jap:

Edited by bdenner

"in trend"

excellent use of Tinglish. you may have been here too long. the English version is "trendy".

to the op, I,m sure your girlfriend knows exactly where to get gold, but the watch is a nice idea.

the issue with jewelry is whether it is to be seen as a gift or a payout.

I don't know many women of western extraction who would be caught dead wearing the yellow Thai gold, considering it quite vulgar.

With Thai women, its not so cut and dried, some love western gold as jewelry, some disdain it in favour of the yellow, easily pawned variety, so give this some thought or have a discussion before purchasing jewelery.

Personally i would never purchase any woman the yellow Thai gold as i see little difference in it to handing out cash.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

Nothing says I love you more than a baht of gold around the wrist.

Not only great for showing off while eating somtam and playing cards, it doesn't clash with scorpion or snake tattoos.

As the investor you'll rest easy knowing that should your gal fail to meet her weekly shark payment, the gold can be hawked on virtually any corner.

"in trend"

excellent use of Tinglish. you may have been here too long. the English version is "trendy".

to the op, I,m sure your girlfriend knows exactly where to get gold, but the watch is a nice idea.

the issue with jewelry is whether it is to be seen as a gift or a payout.

I don't know many women of western extraction who would be caught dead wearing the yellow Thai gold, considering it quite vulgar.

With Thai women, its not so cut and dried, some love western gold as jewelry, some disdain it in favour of the yellow, easily pawned variety, so give this some thought or have a discussion before purchasing jewelery.

Personally i would never purchase any woman the yellow Thai gold as i see little difference in it to handing out cash.

Yes, sadly I'm inclined to agree. I've studied gems most of my life, but its actually very hard now to tell if jewellery and gold is real except with the right equipment. It's still true that the more you pay the 'more likely' you are not to be ripped off. Go to a large jewellery/ gem store like World Gems in Pattaya or something similar as if you are introduced by a Thai they will often be getting 10-15% commission. Ask the store what percentage gold is in the chain etc. If they don't know, your in the wrong shop. Pink gold is less expensive, and many women, who are not obsessed by how much you have paid, think it looks better especially against brown skin. Its also stronger because its an alloy. But again go to a large shop and dont be put off by the condescending comments or looks of staff who may think you are 'kinneow'.

I took my white gold (silver looking) wedding ring into a reputable shop to be polished a few years ago. They thought they were helping me by dipping it into a solution that turned it yellow gold. It looked good for about 3 weeks, then the finish wore off.

Since the OP's gf likes "immature stuff", the Hello Kitty watch may be the best alternative, or maybe something featuring one of various anime characters. How about a Hello Kitty themed throw pillow, skimpy nightwear, or a wall clock? If something of gold is a 'must', then how about a pair of gold Hello Kitty earrings?

If the OP has been in LOS for a year or longer, I find it difficult to imagine he's unaware of where to find gold shops in BKK or anywhere else for that matter. If he's worried about scams, then go to one at an upscale mall.

buy her and Iphone or Blackberry. More chance she'll keep it more than 5 minutes. trendy phones are like cat nip in Thailand.

Alternatively the "right" watch would go down well.

Totally agree with you. Either Iphone or Blackberry would be a very good gift.

If you want to give gold then wait til chinese new year, its traditional to give gold on that day and doesnt look like a pay off. My Mia still has all the gold I bought her, say she will never cash it in cos I gave it to her.

However, the hello kitty watch or phone would be the best choice. The hello kitty phone is even a touch screen.

for the thai, gold is.....as good as gold! i know my girl treasures the small gold necklace i gave her and she's never taken it off. you will get a good deal by going to any of the chinese goldsmith shops in yaworat (chinatown) bangkok. the gold price is pegged (fixed) per ounce and can fluctuate on a daily basis. what you pay is for the design or workmanship which is just a fraction above the gold price. go for it - she deserves it if she's worth it!

About 7-8 years ago my then girl friend asked me to buy her some gold. As I had been drinking at the time I said ok.

Off to Chinatown we go, she picked out a nice 5bt thai gold bracelet and a 5bt necklace. So then I also pick out a

5bt bracelet and 5bt necklace, thinking what the hel_l I'll put it on my credit card. I woke up the next day thinking boy

was that stupid. 150,000bt

Today my now wife and I don't think that was so stupid. LOL

About 7-8 years ago my then girl friend asked me to buy her some gold. As I had been drinking at the time I said ok.

Off to Chinatown we go, she picked out a nice 5bt thai gold bracelet and a 5bt necklace. So then I also pick out a

5bt bracelet and 5bt necklace, thinking what the hel_l I'll put it on my credit card. I woke up the next day thinking boy

was that stupid. 150,000bt

Today my now wife and I don't think that was so stupid. LOL

Well no, not at the moment, it depends who keeps/spends the cash when it's sold. It may still have been stupid! :)

For the OP, she's an immature fairly poor Isarn girl (no offense intended) and any valuable jewellery you'll give her will imply that you're made for marriage, especially if it's a ring. Doesn't matter if it's an engagement ring or not. Gold on dark skin Isarn girls makes them look cheap - as if to compete with older Mia Farangs. I know I'm being blunt, but that's how it's seen and that's what they do! Stay away from the Thai gold and get her a bangle or earrings...even some nice sunglasses, branded bag or a watch. That's it. No gold.

You on drugs or something? Best you do some serious research before wasting your cash!

My nice Isaan Girl to whom I have been happily married with for the past 10 years hocked any gold I bought her (3 pieces in total) back in the first and what was the hardest year of our relationship.

NEVER AGAIN! :jap:

Hock their Gold,dont they all? I thought it was Par for the course!

Hock the gold, ' Don't they all '

Hock their Gold,dont they all? I thought it was Par for the course!

[/quote

Hock the gold, ' Don't they all ' Ummmm, no they don't.

It's like saying are all Farangs fat and smelly. sure some are, but there are those whom are not too.

Once again its a ThaiVisa slagfest against Thai people, the very people whose country you CHOOSE to live in, nobody invited you or keeps you here against your will, you're not happy, <deleted> are you doing here ?

Get a grip lads..\

Edited by sillyman99

Understand, of course, that any expensive jewelry given to a girl friend will later be sold to some pawn shop for instant cash... and at a great loss of course. You MUST not get upset when that happens... and it will. Never give something that has any strings attached and never expect anything in return.

Some years ago I bought my Thai gf (now wife) some Thai gold for her birthday - because I liked her and thought it might be a nice present. It turned out a very good choice as she was very happy and I was happy she liked it. I'm guessing the OP has something similar in mind for his girl..........so why not just get her some?

Since that first purchase, we've bought a sh_t load of Thai gold and other jewellery both in Thailand and abroad for ourselves and my in-laws. They all enjoy owning and wearing their jewellery in exactly the same way as countless other individuals do everyday and they have no intention of selling because they are gifts from someone in their family.

It is nice how some think that buying something nice for someone is a kind of pay off. :D

My wife and I often talk about the fact we paid something around 8 -9000B for something that is now going for double that. As far as I'm concerned she can spend any spare cash on gold because ......#1 it makes her smile. #2. It is far more stable than my superannuation fund has been over the same period . #3. We're going to settle back in Thailand later on and won't mind at all dropping down to the local gold shop every now and then to shed a little weight and cash up...THAI STYLE!

OP.... head down to the corner and get her the gold man!

what ever you do DON'T buy then give her some Non Thai 18 Karat gold ......

First time she goes to the local Thai gold shop to see how much it is worth

and the local goldsmith tells her "Worth Nothing Its a Fake" i not give you baht..

she will be sad and think you not lub her anymore.....

why you give me fake gold darling..... :whistling:

non thai 18 Karat gold is worth nothing in gold shops in Thailand...

In over 3 years my wife has never sold or hocked any gold that I have bought her.

But she does say that having gold is like having money in the bank, so we just keep buying gold 2 or 3 times a year and it is worn for a few days then kept in a safe place.

FD