Marriage Extension To Retirement Extension

I want to change from a marriage extension to a retirement extension using the income affidavit from the US Embassy. Do I have to wait until my present marriage extension is about to expire or can I do it anytime?

I am presently working outside of Thailand and would like to do this on my next trip home, probably within a week after entering Thailand and not during the last month of a 90 day period; would there be any problem with that arrangement?

For the switch from a marriage to a retirement extension is any special/additional documentation required? What documentation do I need to present ordinarily upon application when my marriage extension expires?

Thanks in advance...

Marriage extensions are for one year not 90 days so unsure if you have an extension of stay or a multi entry visa. In any cause expect immigration would be looking for new application for retirement during the last 30 days of a permitted to stay period but they may be flexible about that as they much prefer this type of extension.

Less paperwork for retirement as wife and her information is not required and approval is immediate.

<P>When I did mine a few years ago after my divorce it was very easy. The immigration offficer simply ask for embassy certification of income and proof of residence in thailand. The kind immigration officer did all the paper work I just signed them and they changed my visa all in a matter of less than 1 hour. I was lucky got a great immigration officer. Perhaps it will be same for you. Oh I should add are you on immgration o visa? That is the one you will need. I also think immgration will gladly do it retired visas are easier to deal with.</P>

Marriage extensions are for one year not 90 days so unsure if you have an extension of stay or a multi entry visa. In any cause expect immigration would be looking for new application for retirement during the last 30 days of a permitted to stay period but they may be flexible about that as they much prefer this type of extension.

Less paperwork for retirement as wife and her information is not required and approval is immediate.

normally the application for either type of extension is made during the last 30 days of a 90 day period...just wanted to know if I could apply for the retirement extension after one week of being in Thailand while my one year marriage extension is still valid...

with a marriage extension you have to report every 90 days beginning from when you arrive from another country in my case...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

That is address reporting and would not have anything to do with extensions of stay so will not be a factor. Am sure they will welcome the change but if can not do at your timeline you could easily do after the marriage expires as even a tourist visa or 30 day exempt entry can be changed if you did not have a chance to obtain a new non immigrant O visa. Expect you will find much easier than marriage (extension of stay that is).

Actually at present, with frequent travel to work, just a multi entry non immigrant O visa is likely easier than any extension of stay.

A retirement visa requires a bank A/c with a Thai bank, and the cash balance must be in excess of 800.K THB for at least three months prior to visa application.

The application file must consist of a letter from the Thai bank confirming the A/c balance, together with copies of all the pages of your bank book, and of course copies of all the relevant pages of your passport, plus your application form and one photo.

No documents or letters from the embassy are needed.

The poster clearly stated he was to use the income method which requires the letter from Embassy and does not normally require any bank account information.

According to info received the income method does not apply for a retirement visa, the requirement for such a visa is the stated cash sum balance of 800K.

In addition the "in and out flow" of cash from the bank account during the whole of the past year is also checked, hence the request to provide beside the bank's letter also the account booklet (with copies) so that they can (and do) check the entire cash movements.

Nevertheless, it also appears that some 'IMMI' offices accept different visa applications, that is to say, either the requested total cash balance, or the income, or perhaps both some cash balance and income.

Anyway, in order to clarify your position go to your nearest 'IMMI' office and ask for clarification, if you consider the reply as unfavourable, visit another office, variations do occur.

Your information received is not correct and is why I posted. The requirement for retirement is either 800k in bank account 2 months (first time) or 65k per month income in embassy letter, or a combination to meet 800k per year. There is no requirement for any bank account if using income method and any request for such paperwork would not be normal under current policy and in no case require 800k in bank account 3 months.

Anyway, in order to clarify your position go to your nearest 'IMMI' office and ask for clarification, if you consider the reply as unfavourable, visit another office, variations do occur.

In addition to your other information being incorrect as already stated by Lopburi, you can also not "shop around" for immigration offices. You gave to apply at the immigration office where you live.

Sophon

All Immigration Offices use the same financial requirements for Retirement Extensions.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application