It'S Possible To Get Credit Card From Scb

For many farang, it's simply not possible to even get a bank account here in Thailand. However, once you wade past the initial "mai dai's" (cannot do), you may be able to get one. Not too many hoops to jump through. I've had a bank account steadily with Siam Commercial Bank in Chiang Rai for 12 years. Mostly good service, though I don't like the Bt.30 fee for using their ATM's outside of my town. They also charge more for some services for farang than for Thais - example: letter of credit service. If you forget to grab your ATM card, it's sucked in the system and destroyed (ok, all Thai banks do that, I guess), ....rather than the sensible thing, which would be to return the card to the owner. Oh, but then the bank wouldn't get to charge that added 200 to 500 baht for a new card.

I recently applied for a credit card. I was told that twice the credit baht limit (my choice) would be set aside in my existing bank account there. I agreed. A bunch of papers filled out and signed, and was told to wait. A month later I got a call to go in (I thought to get the card). No, this is Thailand, it was time to fill out and sign another bunch of papers - and wait a few weeks longer. Then the card arrives in the mail, then the fun really began.

I call the tel# to verify the card (several long calls actually). Doesn't work, there was a glitch. I spend half day fixing the glitch. I make several calls again day later. After multiple hassles, they tell me the card is verified. I find out later it doesn't work for online purchases. Ok, another process. Now, I'm in the throes of trying to get the card verified for online. Repeated filling out online forms. Doesn't work. Repeated long phone calls to Visa people in Bangkok (of course, none of the dozens of calls are toll-free). Back to online form, the card is open, then it's closed - more calls to call center, back and forth. Still hassling with it as I write this.

The moral of this story is: Yes, it is possible for a farang to get a credit card with a Thai bank, but expect a long, very long, and tiresome process if you want to get it functioning - and then only if you're lucky and patient and not prone to pleading with phone operators to pleeeeaaase tell the people who design the verification processes to make it less difficult.

I understand the need for security, but things can get overdone. Your car would be less likely to get stolen if you had 15 locks with 15 different keys, but there gets a point where things can get overdone. Imagine if you stuck key #15 in lock #14, and the whole process locked down again, so you'd have to make a 5 minute phone call, wait an additional 15 minutes for the locks to re-set, and then go back to putting the keys in the locks, in the correct order, one by one. The slightest mistake or hesitation, the whole system locks down and you have to make that phone call again, and on and on.

Just had to rant - soooooooo frustrated.

I am living in BKK on a retirement visa. Maybe 5-6 years ago I had several million baht in the local branch and had come in and out of the branch office so many times the manager knew me by sight. She arranged for me to have a credit card so long as I kept an account locked with an amount equal to the credit line. The card works both online and in person. Whether my large accounts were important in the manager's decision, I don't know, but the lesson is that maybe you might want to try another bank.<BR><BR>One more thing, even among offices of the same bank you will find huge differences. Normally when a particular branch manager doesn't want to do something he will say that it is Thai law. When that happens, just say thank you and move on to the next branch. You would be amazed at how "Thai law" is interpreted so vastly differently from branch to branch!

Hey, I am glad you feel good about yourself, but you could just be as wrong about that as you might be about the OP. If it was a debit card, then why would the bank require DOUBLE the credit limit? Since a debit card won't allow you to withdraw any more than what is in an account, then why would the bank require more than 100% of your credit limit? More importantly, are you suggesting that the bank would have a special Farang debit card where they keep a record of the amount of money in his account and then -even though it is a debit card - they run a special farang subroutine on his account that only lets him take out a specified PART of his account?

I'd like to think you are just having a bad day. Or perhaps you could tell me which playing card I am holding in my hand? You might have powers that we could capitalze on in a big way. I could be your agent for your Vegas gigs!

I might write like a 2nd grader, but I have 9 books published, three in Asia Book stores and am writing a dictionary of Englsih idioms. Yes I have a debit card. But I'm not writing this post about a debit card, I'm writing it about a credit card (read the title of the OP). I may be an idiot, but what does that make you, if your assertions are completely off-base?

Back to topic: After a few more phone calls to the SCB c.card service office, we finally got it ironed out (a rather good idiom, if I may say so).

It turns out the credit card people, unbeknownst to me, have assigned me a new name. It took some sleuthing, but (according to them) I have two similar first names, my middle name becomes my last name, and I lost my last name. Glad we got that figured out. They say on the online form to write in the name on my credit card, but of course, this is Thailand, and that's not what they really mean. The name that worked for me (with the assistance of a doll-sounding voice on the phone) is completely different from the name on my card. But it works - or at least this stage of it - tho I still haven't used the g*d d*mmed piece of plastic yet - ....we'll see. I have a sneaking suspicion the saga of me and the disfunctional credit card is far from over.

Without getting into the merits of the original poster, credit card, debit card, etc.

To obtain credit in Thailand you need to have the appropriate immigration status. You need to have proof of income. Having assets like a condo or company helps. Having a prior credit history with the Credit Bureau in Thailand will also help (if you have a mortgage before etc.). Also, having somebody in a Thai bank who can vouch for your character will help. I do this VERY rarely, although I am frequently asked to do this. Even if I am friends with somebody, how do I know if they are trustworthy and pay their bills??:ermm:

As a credit card is an unsecured credit facility, this is why Thai banks ask for foreigners without a history to put down deposits. I know this is counter intutive, but a credit card should really not be viewed as a long term borrowing facility. If you need that you should go for some kind of secured (first choice) or unsecured (we do not offer personal unsecured loans at Bangkok Bank but some Thai banks do) loan.

Just put yourself in the position of the bank. You are lending money to somebody who has no fixed assets in the country. They may (and do) pack up and leave at any time. There is no 401K (ISA in the UK) you can grab if they do this. And I can tell you that this DOES happen often, well it has in the past when it was easier to get a credit card for foreigners.

I hope this helps. It is always good to look at the other side when you attempt to negotiate. In that way you can anticipate their concerns and questions / requirements they may have. Thanks

My recommendation is always to get a credit card from your home country first. It maybe helpful to get a copy of your home country credit history also. But I am not sure if this will help.

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

In general, it is possible for farang in Thailand to obtain a Thai bank credit card, although having a valid work permit is generally one of the more important eligibility criteria. Without a work permit, it becomes very difficult.

Without a work permit, some Thai banks, including Bank of Ayudhya I have understood, will issue a credit card but will require the applicant to have a bank account with them with locked up funds on deposit, as a form of guarantee. That's pretty much the only likely option for retirees...

For those with a work permit, assuming you meet some other criteria, you ought to be able to apply for a Thai bank credit card in the traditional way -- but still expect a lot of paperwork and paper signing to be involved.

The broader question, though, is do you really want a Thai bank credit card that's going to have the standard 20% APR rate, which apparently is the standard for Thai banks? A better option may be your home country card, particularly if you have one that has no foreign currency fee for purchases abroad.

Another thing about Thai banking is, getting an answer of NO at one branch doesn't mean you'll get the same answer at another branch of the same bank, or even at a different bank... There tends to be quite a bit of variability. On credit cards, though, most of the major Thai banks appear to have their card issuance criteria for farangs pretty clearly detailed on their web sites.

As one example, here's what BKK Bank lists on their web site for credit cards...

1. Do I qualify for a credit card? First, you must be at least 20 years of age and have an average monthly income of at least 20,000 Bt. You can combine your salary with other regular earnings such as bonus, commission and overtime pay. You may qualify for Bangkok Bank Platinum Leader Card if you have an average monthly income of 100,000Bt. We also evaluate criteria such as your credit history when considering credit card applications. 2. Where do I sign up? You can apply in person at any Bangkok Bank branch or by mail. When you apply by mail you will need to first obtain an application form from a branch. Or you can call our Cardmember Service Center on (66) 0-2638-4000 (or (66) 0-2638-4400 for American Express Cards) and request that a form be posted to you. Return it along with the required documents to:

New Account Section

Credit Card Division, Bangkok Bank

333 Silom Road,

Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500 3. What documents do I need? Please attach copies of the following documents with your application:

1. Your citizen ID card, or passport and work permit if you're an expatriate.

2. A copy of your house registration (not required for an expatriate).

3. Proof of your income such as: a payroll slip, a letter certifying your income, a tax withholding slip, or the latest receipt for your annual personal income tax.

4. A copy of your savings or fixed account statement for the past six months from a bank or financial institution.

5. Monthly statements from your current credit cards, if any, for the past three months.

6. If you have your own business, also provide a copy of the registration of your company.

Here's an example of the requirements from Kasikorn Bank...

Eligibility

• Age between 20-80 years for the primary card applicant, and 15-80 years for the supplementary card applicant
  • Monthly income:
    o THB20,000 or more for classic card
    o THB30,000 or more for gold card
    o THB100,000 or more for platinum card

Types of Cards/Credit Limits

• Classic card : THB30,000 - THB49,999
  • Gold card : THB50,000 - THB1,500,000
  • Platinum card : THB200,000 - THB3,000,000

Required Documents

• Credit card application form and a Letter of Consent to have your credit history checked by a Credit Bureau
  • Copy of National ID card/government official ID card
  • If the applicant is a foreign national, a copy of valid passport, visa and work permit are required and applicant must earn an income at least THB50,000 per month
  • Income Evidence --
    • For fixed income earners:
      - Original/copy of a letter certifying monthly salary issued by employer not longer than six months
    • For business proprietors:
      - Copy of Certificate of Commercial Registration for company/limited partnership issued not over one year by the Ministry of Commerce
      - Copy of deposit passbook of current/savings account passbook/statement showing entries over the past six months
      - In case of a personal account, copy of your deposit passbook with the page showing the account number and account name
      - In case of a corporate account, copy of the deposit passbook with the page showing the account number and corporate account name, together with a copy of Shareholders' list certified within the past six months.

[*]For Foreign Applicants

• Minimum monthly income of THB50,000
    • Copies of valid passport and visa
    • Copy of valid work permit
    • Income evidence

Other Thai banks have similar info on their web sites regarding their credit card requirements....

I complained to my Bank Manager about the difficulties of getting a credit card again. I pointed out that I had one 30 years ago and that it took me only a few days to let a loan of Bt2million. She told me that there are so many bad farangs in Thailand to-day involved in so many crimes and scams that they had to be very careful about giving any kind of credit to farangs. I could not help but agree with her.

I'd encourage you to look at the English language version of your Thai bank's web site, see what their criteria are for issuing credit cards, and then see if you have the documents and status necessary to meet them. If you do, you could another contact a different branch or the bank's main office via it's customer service number.

What the bank manager told you may or may not be true, but that's not the basis on which the bank is going to issue or not issue a credit card.

I complained to my Bank Manager about the difficulties of getting a credit card again. I pointed out that I had one 30 years ago and that it took me only a few days to let a loan of Bt2million. She told me that there are so many bad farangs in Thailand to-day involved in so many crimes and scams that they had to be very careful about giving any kind of credit to farangs. I could not help but agree with her.

Yes, there are some bad farang who come and go to Thailand - and I can understand the trepidation of loaning to someone who may leave the country at a whim. Note that a few days ago there was a topic on T.Visa which showcased Thai gov't workers who average nearly a million baht each in outstanding loans, and that over 80% of them were in debt big time. Am curious to know how that compares to the average farang consumer. Thais are also notorious gamblers, and I'm sure the statistics for that aren't going to show up on gov't surveys.

However, I got a credit card with a Thai bank, and didn't have a work permit, or a job here. Neither did I have anyone to vouch for me, VIP big shot or otherwise. I did, however, have a tabian ban (yellow house registration in my farang name) and a non-imm visa type O.

My reason for posting this topic was mainly to say: 'yes, it is possible for farang to get c.cards in Thailand, however, the verification processes (to make them workable) is uphill,' to put it mildly.

In a related topic: the reason Thais don't use personal checks (except a few big shots and their wives, for big purchases) is the general irresponsibility of Thais in the pay-back dept. Same could be said of farang.

Also interesting to note that, though Thai banks pay around 1% for savings accounts, they charge a staggering 20% for overdue credit balances. How tough would it be to start my own bank. Ok, just kidding. Plus, even if I could, I would much rather be in the Adventure Sports biz (as I am), than make gobs of money by usurious means.

• Like 1

The OP wrote

"For many farang, it's simply not possible to even get a bank account here in Thailand."

That is simply untrue. I have two bank accounts, both opened very easily.

As regards a credit card the easiest way, and one which prevents other people scamming you, is to get a prepaid card from Kasikorn Bank. Simply put some money into the card account and it can be used online or in a shop. No debt incurred and if someone stole it you can only lose the amount you have placed on it. I know that it is not a credit card in the way we know it, i.e. can be used to pay for something and run up a bill but it serves the purpose.

Edited by BWPattaya

In general, I agree with the poster below that it is certainly possible for farang to open accounts, the easiest being savings accounts, with Thai banks....

The requirements vary from bank to bank and branch to branch sometimes... And it's certainly easier if the applicant is on some kind of long stay visa or extension, or officially employed here. But it also can be done by people on tourist visas... Though the kinds of services available, such as access to online banking, may be more limited.

Unfortunately, people run into a common situation where they walk into some bank and ask the teller or officer to open an account, and get the answer NO... In many instances, that's not because the bank's policy won't permit it...but rather, the CSR may not speak much English, or not want to deal with you, or be misinformed about the bank's own practices.

When it comes to opening bank accounts in Thailand, persistence and not getting discouraged are paramount.

The OP wrote

"For many farang, it's simply not possible to even get a bank account here in Thailand."

That is simply untrue. I have two bank accounts, both opened very easily.

I recently opened a new account with UOB, filled the application, ticked the boxes for debit card, internet banking etc, but not for credit card (they must have done that for me).

Less than 2 weeks later a credit card with 100k limit arrived - maybe they were short on their sales quota for that week? No deposit required.

So what's all the fuss about, bloody easy to get a cc here even if you don't want one :D

A retired friend of mine readily obtained a 'credit' card from the Bank of Ayudhya. However, he was required to state the amount of credit he required, and agree to having double that amount 'frozen' in his account. At the time of application, he also stated that he wanted it for on-line payments, which may have additionally smoothed the process.

Ironically, the bank clerk was encouraging him to set-up his credit limit far higher than he needed. Presumably to lock-up more of his funds (?)

In general, it is possible for farang in Thailand to obtain a Thai bank credit card, although having a valid work permit is generally one of the more important eligibility criteria. Without a work permit, it becomes very difficult.

This is the best answer given so far...;)

Relating my own experience with SCB, arrived in the country nearly 10 years ago to start work, two weeks after arriving in country given a SCB credit card with virtually no effort, no more hassle than anywhere else in the world I have held a credit card

A retired friend of mine readily obtained a 'credit' card from the Bank of Ayudhya. However, he was required to state the amount of credit he required, and agree to having double that amount 'frozen' in his account. At the time of application, he also stated that he wanted it for on-line payments, which may have additionally smoothed the process.

Ironically, the bank clerk was encouraging him to set-up his credit limit far higher than he needed. Presumably to lock-up more of his funds (?)

This is not really a credit card than...:whistling:

Well, I don't know the details of the deal/card that Thules has...

But in a recent thread, another TV member posted about having gotten a credit card from BAY in similar fashion, and being required to lock up funds with them as a guarantee...

The interesting thing was, according to that member, he was expecting the bank was going to deduct his purchases with the card from the funds he had on deposit with the bank... But NO... that wasn't the bank's idea... They expected to keep the guarantee funds untouched, and then for him to pay the monthly credit card amounts out of his pocket at the local branch or otherwise...

The member posting said he found that very inconvenient, and was wanting the bank just to debit his own funds. But he said they weren't about to do that... In that example, it is functioning pretty much as a credit card.

This is not really a credit card than...:whistling:

I tried to get a phone verification code to use for certain internet payments... :rolleyes: twice at ATM Machine, several times by phone, I gave up, yes the slightest mistake or interruption, (time expired!!!) why they can't issue one at the branches?

As I mentioned earlier, given that Thai bank credit cards typically (if not universally) have a 20% annual percentage rate on carried over balances, you should be very careful what you wish for... and/or... how you spent your money with one...

For Americans, as long as you have a U.S. address, it's pretty easy to qualify for one of the many different credit cards offered thru Capital One Bank, which usually have pretty good interest rates (compared to 20% in Thailand) and no foreign currency surcharge for purchases made outside the U.S.

jfc, I can understand the lucrative if somewhat perverse logic that explains why the bank would not draw down the cc members payments against the frozen funds. For if they were to draw down against these funds, the member would then not have double the amount of funds available against his pre-agreed (and static) credit limit.

Its a good deal for the bank in that they hold the frozen amount of funds for as long as the member retains his 'credit' card.

Agreed. That is why they do it... To maintain the value of the guarantee... And hold your funds almost interest-free...

But it's still pretty ironic that, as an earlier poster pointed out, the Thai banks allow Thais to ring up huge debts, credit cards and otherwise... And apparently are happy to do so...since they're getting 20% APR on the owed funds... It's a very lucrative business for the banks... and ends up meaning a lifetime of debt for a lot of Thais.

jfc, I can understand the lucrative if somewhat perverse logic that explains why the bank would not draw down the cc members payments against the frozen funds. For if they were to draw down against these funds, the member would then not have double the amount of funds available against his pre-agreed (and static) credit limit.

Its a good deal for the bank in that they hold the frozen amount of funds for as long as the member retains his 'credit' card.

Its actually a great topic and the problems are real. I started with SCB after ditching UOB about 7 years ago. Simply ask for a 20k limit (below USD1,000) and be a customer for more than 3 years and there was no issue. Papers on the spot, signed, and a 5k payment to the bank officer - what's all the fuss about! TiT - play by the rules! ohmy.gif

Since then I have raised the limit to 200k and each time I pay the man - seems to work for me! And 10 years on I am still a happy camper - but of course I must be kidding - right? wink.gif

This is the best answer given so far...;)

Relating my own experience with SCB, arrived in the country nearly 10 years ago to start work, two weeks after arriving in country given a SCB credit card with virtually no effort, no more hassle than anywhere else in the world I have held a credit card

I have a credit card from 3 thai banks, i got first with kasikorn and then when my credit history had built over few months I applied elsewhere and got the cards without any hassle. beofre this SCB did say i would have to have the amount frozen, I refused, I reapplied once I had a credit history here and got the card with no problems. I do have a work permit.

I tried to get a phone verification code to use for certain internet payments... :rolleyes: twice at ATM Machine, several times by phone, I gave up, yes the slightest mistake or interruption, (time expired!!!) why they can't issue one at the branches?

Agreed, the web site managers need to make such things less difficult. I've done purchases (and rec'd payments) with c.cards online, and it can be a relatively painless experience if the webmasters make it so. In contrast, some establishments make it so difficult as to be essentially unworkable. I got my Thai c.card to function for an online purchase only with dogged persistence (about 8 long phone calls) and numerous repetitive filling out of online forms (for one item!). Some of the info asked for was redundant, other info was unnecessary. the customer doesn't know if the process will fail until the last moment - after spending many minutes filling out the same info he/she's filled out several times already.

Since I now know have an odd name on my credit card (two first names spelled differently, and my middle name replaces my last name), I'm wondering, 'should I keep this name when using the card (it's the only way the card will work), or should I try to get my correct name on the account (?) as it could cause problems later, if asked to see ID. The downside of getting it straightened out is; I'll likely have to go through the same tedious process of numerous phone calls, reams of signed papers, weeks of waiting, and more phone calls ....in order to try and get it fixed.

I only got the card for emergencies, as I abhor using credit. I have zero debt, and for 30 years in the States, had platinum cards which I very rarely used.

A note to the poster who said he was given a card at a Thai bank without even asking for one: He probably put a sh*tload of money in the account he opened. That's my guess.

Yep, same story here. I got a visa card from Siam Commercial bank, had to deposit twice my credit limit in a savings account that actually stays in a safety deposit at the bank, I do have a certified copy of it. I guess they just want to play it safe, no big deal however. Indeed it took a few weeks to actually get the card and another 10 days to get it functioning properly.

Oh well we all know how efficient they work here :rolleyes:

Agreed, the web site managers need to make such things less difficult. I've done purchases (and rec'd payments) with c.cards online, and it can be a relatively painless experience if the webmasters make it so. In contrast, some establishments make it so difficult as to be essentially unworkable. I got my Thai c.card to function for an online purchase only with dogged persistence (about 8 long phone calls) and numerous repetitive filling out of online forms (for one item!). Some of the info asked for was redundant, other info was unnecessary. the customer doesn't know if the process will fail until the last moment - after spending many minutes filling out the same info he/she's filled out several times already.

Since I now know have an odd name on my credit card (two first names spelled differently, and my middle name replaces my last name), I'm wondering, 'should I keep this name when using the card (it's the only way the card will work), or should I try to get my correct name on the account (?) as it could cause problems later, if asked to see ID. The downside of getting it straightened out is; I'll likely have to go through the same tedious process of numerous phone calls, reams of signed papers, weeks of waiting, and more phone calls ....in order to try and get it fixed.

I only got the card for emergencies, as I abhor using credit. I have zero debt, and for 30 years in the States, had platinum cards which I very rarely used.

A note to the poster who said he was given a card at a Thai bank without even asking for one: He probably put a sh*tload of money in the account he opened. That's my guess.

Great to see you winning one :jap:

I've just succeeded 5yrs on to get a Cheque (rather than savings) business a/c with SCB. Manageress kept saying NKD and moving the goalposts. Last time her excuse was that "We moved around on tour too much", at this one I blew my flaming lid, after all those years of nodding, smiling and 'mai pen rai' I believe the whole branch was a little taken aback? Demanded her thoughts over the safety of my missus carrying stacks of cash in the pickup just for her stupidity?! And yes, I did call her stupid, also saying head office would be hearing about this in no uncertain terms and I'd be going with the main branch in town who had already started the paperwork, not you 'country people'(Ouch!), my Thai may be only just passable but I believe she got the point.

Forced to walk into the branch just three days later (admittedly head only held high to 'show face' :whistling: ), statement required, the assistant manageress approaches us and asks how we were progressing with the application? I was about to diplomatically attempt to pour oil on troubled waters but the missus had no such compunctions, "Well the stupid cow in the corner office there, you know, the fat one?" at the top of her voice, pointing; the entire staff and customers are rolling up, plenty of embarrassed looks and frantic top lip rubbing, "Says that we can't this time because we travel?" She then proceeds to loudly list all previous excuses while ticking them off on her fingers... The Assistant Manageress quiets her vitriol with an "Of course we can, she's only making life difficult for you because you won't buy insurance from her" (interesting?) I interject asking if she can guarantee the a/c if we deal with her personally instead? Confirmed. Some paperwork necessary, the last couple of years' tax returns & such-like, but altogether a very easy process I believe, which will have the a/c opened by the end of the month. Our accountant has long been offering to organise this for us with them but I'm the type who'd rather go through it myself and learn the process?

Back on topic; we were told we could have a credit card around 4yrs ago, once we'd proved we could behave ourselves with a cheque a/c (another 4yrs then?), but thanks for your post and the encouragement its given. I've little else to do in the rainy season and often enjoy butting heads with the pen-pushers! Back to work next month, the credit card can keep me amused next year...!

Allegedly my problem with most credit troubles here is because I insisted from the start I'm the sole signatory for the company? They don't appear to like that. As with yourself I'm only exploring for the sakes of it, I've always rather have paid for everything up-front. Far more fun when I walk in to buy a couple of bikes, allow the retailer to push the credit option, sit down with the finance rep, smile sweetly while saying 'no' to each and every of his conditions and watch them vaporise on the spot! The only one they won't let go of is to have a Thai guarantor, I could get one/half a dozen but don't see why I should bow to their demands? Shrug, "No problem, I pay cash". Worth 30-45min intense 'negotiation' :rolleyes: every time just to see the look on their faces :D Financiers lose business, the retailers lose their cut, I enjoy putting them through it because I believe they need to lose money a few times before anything begins to sink in?

A very simple way of solving the on line purchases problem is the Kasikorn bank SHOPPING CARD. This card is only a VISA transaction number and is valid for any balance you want to set that does not exceed the balance in your savings account..

It is not a credit card but when activated the security is good.An E-Mail checks if all purchased items are correct before payment is made,

I have used this "CARD"for many years without any problems and no longer use my Visa Gold card as no charges are made.The purchases debited in Thai baht with the exchange rate as posted on the day of payment.

• Like 1