Visa Information

Hello People

I am pretty much a green horn having been to Thailand a couple of times just for a few weeks.

I am an Autralian guy 45 who is farly well financially.

What i am looking at is the best option for a visa & the longer the better.

So if i apply for a 1 year multi visa should i have no trouble to do this in person at thai embassy in sydney or should i pay the extra 300 dollars or more to get it from like siamlegal or some other agent like that ?

Can you come back home once a year & apply for another 1 year multi visa again ?

Is that my best option.I just read your study visa forum here & i wouldnt mind going 2 days a week to learn thai except i am not real sure where i want to stay in Thailand like Phuket or chiang mai.

I read also land crossing you only get 15 dyas now.I am still like 4 years off from a 50 year retirement visa so i am trying to see the best way to stay as long as possible in Thailand

Any help would be most grateful.

I am looking at a budget of around 700 000 baht per year so i know there are huge variables but is that ecconomically viable?

from what i have read it is

Thanks for your time

Broad range of questions!

There are two main processes:

1) You obtain a visa (various types/reasons/circumstances) outside of Thailand which gives you permission to enter, within a certain time period, for x days, once or multiple times.

2) Once you have entered Thailand, depending on the type of entry visa used, you can extend your permission to stay based on your circumstances for a certain time period. Depending on the circumstances of your extension, you can repeat that process if you still fulfill the criteria.

Also people from many countries can come to Thailand without any visa and depending on whether you enter by land or air, you can get 15 or 30 days permission to stay on each occasion

As a rule any Thai Embassy which is normally run by Thai career civil servants (as against a consulate - often run by locals) will be very strict in their interpretation of the visa regulations and are unlikely to issue you multiple entry non-immigrant visas; they follow the principle that if you wish to remain in Thailand for a long period the you should argue you case inside the country.

You can live comfortably in Thailand (even in Phuket or Bangkok) within the budget you mention.

Broad range of questions!

There are two main processes:

1) You obtain a visa (various types/reasons/circumstances) outside of Thailand which gives you permission to enter, within a certain time period, for x days, once or multiple times.

2) Once you have entered Thailand, depending on the type of entry visa used, you can extend your permission to stay based on your circumstances for a certain time period. Depending on the circumstances of your extension, you can repeat that process if you still fulfill the criteria.

Also people from many countries can come to Thailand without any visa and depending on whether you enter by land or air, you can get 15 or 30 days permission to stay on each occasion

As a rule any Thai Embassy which is normally run by Thai career civil servants (as against a consulate - often run by locals) will be very strict in their interpretation of the visa regulations and are unlikely to issue you multiple entry non-immigrant visas; they follow the principle that if you wish to remain in Thailand for a long period the you should argue you case inside the country.

You can live comfortably in Thailand (even in Phuket or Bangkok) within the budget you mention.

Thanks for your quick response.Knowing little about Thailand rules i worry to just go on a 30 day visa leaving my job & renting my place of residence not know where to go or anything to apply for extentions or whatever.Siam legal money back gurantee a 1 year visa but at a price of like 500 aud plus 200 or so consular fee.If i can do visa runs every 30 days it would be an inconvience but not a problem but every 15 sounds so short

So you are saying come to thailand just as a 30 day tourist than apply for longer ?

Thanks again

Thanks for your quick response.Knowing little about Thailand rules i worry to just go on a 30 day visa leaving my job & renting my place of residence not know where to go or anything to apply for extentions or whatever.Siam legal money back gurantee a 1 year visa but at a price of like 500 aud plus 200 or so consular fee.If i can do visa runs every 30 days it would be an inconvience but not a problem but every 15 sounds so short

So you are saying come to thailand just as a 30 day tourist than apply for longer ?

Thanks again

No, you can't do that, (enter on a 30/15 visa exempt entry and apply for longer); your only option with this particular approach is to leave the country and re-enter each time.

You need to have used some kind of some kind of 'non-immigrant' visa to enter Thailand; then you are allowed to apply for an 'extension of permission to stay' at the local Thai immigration department some time towards the end of your allowed period of admission.

Another route that many people start off with is a 60 day Double Entry Tourist Visa from a Thai Consulate/Embassy. You can extend your stay by 30 days at your local Thai immigration office, giving you 90days, leave/re-enter Thailand at any border and get another 60 day stay which you can then extend by another 30 giving you six months for starters.

1. The only visa that would allow more than a 90 day stay is for retirement and not available to you. Use of a legal firm is not going to change that fact.

2. All other visa entry will require leaving every 90 days or less.

3. If you qualified for one year extension of stay for retirement or marriage a visa exempt 30 day entry could be converted to allow it. But that is not your situation.

4. If you have a friend in Thailand you might obtain a multi entry visa from Perth but they close in one month and no other Consulate in Oz would issue for that reason.

1. The only visa that would allow more than a 90 day stay is for retirement and not available to you. Use of a legal firm is not going to change that fact.

3. If you qualified for one year extension of stay for retirement or marriage a visa exempt 30 day entry could be converted to allow it. But that is not your situation.

4. If you have a friend in Thailand you might obtain a multi entry visa from Perth but they close in one month and no other Consulate in Oz would issue for that reason.

OR ED VISA no border run and you learn thai you need to go school 4 hrs per weeks and depend where you applie the ED VISA about 25.000 to 30.000 ans everry 3 months go for extension your visa 1900 baht ans its for 1 years good luck

OR ED VISA no border run and you learn thai you need to go school 4 hrs per weeks and depend where you applie the ED VISA about 25.000 to 30.000 ans everry 3 months go for extension your visa 1900 baht ans its for 1 years good luck

Yes even a 1 year visa i do understand you have to leave to the border every 90 days but that would be ok

Why does siam legal say i can get a money back gurantee for a 1 year visa & just need to go to border every 90 days & can come

back

I have thought about the education & learning thai but not too sure where i will setup at the moment.Is it really 30 000 baht per 3 months of study sounds like a lot.

Thanks for your responses

Yes even a 1 year visa i do understand you have to leave to the border every 90 days but that would be ok

Why does siam legal say i can get a money back gurantee for a 1 year visa & just need to go to border every 90 days & can come

back

I have thought about the education & learning thai but not too sure where i will setup at the moment.Is it really 30 000 baht per 3 months of study sounds like a lot.

Thanks for your responses

also teacher working visa

from what i have read you now require a Ba as well as a tesol or whatever it is called course.Do you really require a Ba to teach english in thailand ?

1. Believe the 30k would be the yearly price for most language schools and 1,900 baht would be the extension of stay every 90 days.

2. A degree is required for teaching but exceptions can be made so there are still teachers with work permit but without the degree. But most better jobs will require a degree from my understanding so if you enjoy teaching getting a diploma should be a priority for the future.

1. Believe the 30k would be the yearly price for most language schools and 1,900 baht would be the extension of stay every 90 days.

2. A degree is required for teaching but exceptions can be made so there are still teachers with work permit but without the degree. But most better jobs will require a degree from my understanding so if you enjoy teaching getting a diploma should be a priority for the future.

So you would advise against getting long term accomodation (ie say 1 year rental of a condo)Do many people still do the border run ?Is it easy & is that now just 15 days

I have read so many varying stories some saying they have done the 30 day trekk for years others say this is all changing.Hwat are the real facts

Thanks

My only real interest to teach would be for visa stay more than likely lol

I am a tradesman by trade of toolmaking

buti have done a 2 year night time supervision certificate

thanks again for your time & imput guys

So you would advise against getting long term accomodation (ie say 1 year rental of a condo)Do many people still do the border run ?Is it easy & is that now just 15 days

I have read so many varying stories some saying they have done the 30 day trekk for years others say this is all changing.Hwat are the real facts

Thanks

My only real interest to teach would be for visa stay more than likely lol

I am a tradesman by trade of toolmaking

buti have done a 2 year night time supervision certificate

thanks again for your time & imput guys

A lot of people doing border runs have Double 60 Day Tourist Visas, or multi entry non immigrant visas through work/family.

Probably less people are doing Visa Exempt land border runs now, due to the 15 day stamp; unless you live near to Malaysia, it could also be a more expensive approach.

If you are basically planning on a very long holiday in Thailand, then it does no harm to start on a double tourist visa, which anyway would the correct visa for your circumstances.

Check posts on this forum and you will see many referring to people getting back to back Double 60 day Tourist Visas issued in Laos.