Red Demonstrations On Sunday 19Th September

hanuman1

Hi

Not wanting to start another shouting match between supporters of whatever side, just thought it might be useful if anyone seeing anything tomorrow connected with the Red shirt's planned demo could update the rest of us as a matter of 'public information' e.g. roads blocked etc.

Some people are panicking at the prospect of a city-sized inferno. Others think it will hardly be noticed.

I gather there was some kind of red meeting today (Saturday 18th), but since not a peep has been heard about it on these boards, one can only presume it was fairly insignificant. Will it be the same tomorrow?

Cheers

H.

I rode past a "gathering" in the old city this arvo/evening. mostly market stalls selling red t-shirts with slogans on them. more stalls than customers though.

saw alot of CMFC supporters driving around tooting horns and waving blue/white flags tonight.

priorities...

Last night around 10 pm we heard a big commotion like a parade or march on Chang Moi Rd. Our soi cleared out with people venturing toward Chang Moi just far enough to see what was going on. Soon our Thai neighbors were laughing and looking relieved -- it was a parade to celebrate a big football victory. I think all of us, epecially our Thai neighbors, were afraid that it was some sort of red shirt march.

<br />Last night around 10 pm we heard a big commotion like a parade or march on Chang Moi Rd.  Our soi cleared out with people venturing toward Chang Moi just far enough to see what was going on.  Soon our Thai neighbors were laughing and looking relieved -- it was a parade to celebrate a big football victory.  I think all of us, epecially our Thai neighbors, were afraid that it was some sort of red shirt march.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There may be more blue and white than red around today. Yesterday was Chiang Mai's last home football match and they were presented with the league winners trophy so there were big party's and celebrations all over the city.

this may very well carry on into and throughout today as well.

I rode past a "gathering" in the old city this arvo/evening. mostly market stalls selling red t-shirts with slogans on them. more stalls than customers though.

I rode by the Three Kings about 10 pm and there were a few hundred people in red.

At around 2pm there were about 2-3000 still inside the Municipal Stadium grounds as the tail end of their parade was leaving on its journey. No idea how many in the procession. Saw 3-4 soldiers with what looked like M-16s inside the stadium but that was all. A lot of policemen mingling in the crowd. Traffic was very slow leaving the stadium and Chang Phuak down to the moat was crawling. May still be like that now.

Loads of Red Shirts circulating on bikes and in pickup trucks between Kotchisarn & Moon Muang. The atmosphere seems party-like but is causing a big traffic jam.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Kind of like Songkan. They did that then and we got to throw water on them.:lol:

• Like 1

Not directing this at any previous posters, but please could everyone posting here keep their personal views on the rights and wrongs of this situation out of this thread. There are plenty of other places on TV where you can make your opinions known.

Only eyewitness reports of things that have happened or are happening are needed here. Thanks.

• Like 1

Loads of Red Shirts circulating on bikes and in pickup trucks between Kotchisarn & Moon Muang. The atmosphere seems party-like but is causing a big traffic jam.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Yeah for awhile it pretty much stopped traffic. The police tried to keep everyone moving, but it was hopeless. However, at least the mood was good. They were having a great time - waiving as though they were celebrities in a Disneyland parade.

That is one nice looking car.:D

AJirMFE.jpg

Indeed. Thank you for that useful bit of public information.

Thank the Nation.:D

Would you be interested in seeing dozens of pictures of battered old pickups and sedans? Thought not.

To the mods: If the OP has any say at all on how their thread is run, I'd like to ask that this one be closed. It's only about the 19th and non-political eyewitness reports. Neither seem to apply any more.

Many local farangs sensibly kept well away, from the Chang Puak & central-city-areas yesterday, especially following their embassies' warnings, can any of the people who did go give an idea of numbers present ?

I've joined them in the past. No issues.

I don't think there's any been a significant disturbance in Chiang Mai due to protests, with the possible exception of the day of the black May crackdown in Bangkok. I wouldn't expect any trouble for future gatherings. It's interesting to debate issues of course, but no need for the overly alarmist tone that I detect with some.

• Like 2

"Overly alarmist tone" ?

I would usually pay some attention, to a warning from my embassy about protests in Bangkok & Chiang Mai, although they may well only have been covering their backs. None of my local friends felt relaxed about going into town last week-end.

But I do also tend to avoid Songkran-week, and celebrate it locally instead. B)

I don't think there's any been a significant disturbance in Chiang Mai due to protests, with the possible exception of the day of the black May crackdown in Bangkok.

Black May was in 1992. I would suggest "Red May" for more accurate subversive rhetoric. :D

Black May (1992)

Black May (Thai: พฤษภาทมิฬ phruetsapha thamin) is a common name for the 17–20 May 1992 popular protest in Bangkok against the government of General Suchinda Kraprayoon and the bloody military crackdown that followed. Up to 200,000 people demonstrated in central Bangkok at the height of the protests. The military crackdown resulted in 52 officially confirmed deaths, many disappearances, hundreds of injuries, and over 3,500 arrests. Many of those arrested allegedly were tortured.