I Need More Electricity

Don't have any idea of cost but why not use the dryer when the 4 air conditioners are not required? That's what we do (when the wife concedes to use it - prefers sunlight).

What is your breaker rated?

FYI: there are plans for a considerable increase in electric charges for us big spenders.

Get a bigger meter from the electric co. Check the costs and have them come install it. When we upgraded our small restaurant to bungalows that is what we had to do so I could take a hot shower and have the big fridge on at the same time :o

BTW, that was 4 years ago so I don't know what the costs are now.

Edited by sbk

Get a bigger meter from the electric co.<snip>

sbk; that makes me chuckle, when we were connecting the house, we we told because its 2 level we must have the Big Wires and meter. Ok the Black ones, not the lower rated blue ones.

After connection from the pole, the lower rated blue wires go into the Big Meter and the Big Black wires.

I wonder what would happen if I actually loaded the circuit to its limit :o

breaker at 63

i am a electricity whore!!!

coming from california electric is nothing here my avg bill is 4000-6000 baht

Don't have any idea of cost but why not use the dryer when the 4 air conditioners are not required?  That's what we do (when the wife concedes to use it - prefers sunlight).

What is your breaker rated?

FYI: there are plans for a considerable increase in electric charges for us big spenders.

My bill is usually between 6 and 8,000 and never have main breaker trip so if you could arrange the dryer for a time when only one or two air on it should solve your problem. Those dryers are really electric hogs.

At least one homeowner reported getting a new 15 amp service for extra house rather than a larger meter - total price of electric is lower that way but we electric whores aren't worried about that.

If you want to put your own 3 phase in you have to buy a dedicated transformer (moor bang). Well you dont buy it just put a deposit down, I've been told about 50,000 bhat, which for me plus the cable would work out to around 100,000 this from the electricity company. I could probably get my own single phase tramsformer for around 40,000 all in, The 5300bhat I think you will find is the deposite for a 15 amp meter (single phase), cant remember what it is for 30 amp. Changing the meter may not do you any good as if the local transformer is not up to scratch, then it will not matter how big your meter is.

Think of it like having mains water supplied by a half inch pipe, if you put a 2 inch meter on it you wont actualy get any more water!!

I've got 2 X 15 amp meters (1 for the farm, 1 for the house and a 5 for the shop) The shop is fine but I cant even run 2 aircon units in the house and the farm is the worst off as its about an other 150 meters away so I get a voltage drop in the cable as well, I cant even run a 2hp electric motor up there and thats with a 15 meter. They are supposed to be changing the local transformer soon :o so I'm trying to hang on for that!!

RC

Edited by RamdomChances

I recently built a shop and put an air conditioner in the house. I asked for a bigger meter and went from a 5 (15) to a 15 (45). The electrician assured me I would have plenty of power for everything. ???? With the welder, power hack saw, drill press, 2 HP air compressor and the air con all running I have had no problems so far. With the heavier black wire and the new meter it cost me 5,000 baht. That included new wire to both 63 A breaker boxes. One in the house and one in the shop.

Edited by Gary A

I had my house built with 3phase. It cost 30,000THB for the hook up from the electrical company. I imagine that in that amound I paid for the 3phase meter. I have 30amps of three phase 380v or 90amps of 220v. I didn't want to overload the system like most people do.

A single water heater draws 22.7 amps @ 220volts if turned up all the way. AC units draw min. of about 6amps and up.

So, if you are told 15amps 220 is OK, they are full of &lt;deleted&gt;.

Good luck. hope your wires are not hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Afetr all the helpful posts!

all I could do was upgrade house

new wires to house plus new breaker box installed 10,000 baht

new meter deposit only 30 amp 12,000 baht

Total 22,000 baht

we will see :o