Dying In Chiang Mai

unscathedgibbon

This is an awkward subject, but I need to know the answer. If a person was terminally ill and wished to die in CM would it be possible to be cremated here? The person does not wish do die in there home country, but also does not wish to leave any relatives back there with any expenses, if the Thai government insists on them being flown back home. Also, and this is quite difficult , infact very difficult, but they may need to assist there own passing due to the pain. Could this affect the answer to my original question? Would this person need to leave some kind of letter explaining there wishes?

I ask that if you have no real answers, and just wish to add an opinion that you please refrain from this. Please only reply if you know the facts. This is a very difficult and painful subject,

• Like 1

Your issue is not so much with the Thai authorities but primarily with the embassy personnel of your home country.

You need to have a Thai will which expresses your intentions. This will needs to be in the hands of a Thai person who will execute it. For that they will need some small funds, perhaps a few thousand baht.

You should also prepare a letter to your embassy which likewise expresses your request to be cremated in Thailand and the manner of disposition of the ashes. This letter should be kept in your home in a conspicuous place.

[DOC]

LEGAL ASPECT OF EUTHANASIA IN THAILAND: PROBLEMME AND PROSPECT

- [ แปลหน้านี้ ] รูปแบบไฟล์: Microsoft Word - ดูในรูปแบบ HTML

As the Sections 292 and 293 imply, a physician-assisted suicide is not ... recognized under the Thai law and would be contrary to the good moral. ..... However, it does not mean that euthanasia is the only viable option of last resort. ...

www.stc.arts.chula.ac.th/Publications/files/EUTHANASIA.doc - ใกล้เคียง

It doesn't need to be a Thai. I'm British, and I performed this service for an old Irish friend some years back here in Chiang Mai. He named me as his executor in his will, and there was no problem at all. The Irish Embassy in Bangkok understood immediately that he wished to be cremated in Chiang Mai (documentary evidence from the will) and the rest was routine.

Your issue is not so much with the Thai authorities but primarily with the embassy personnel of your home country.

You need to have a Thai will which expresses your intentions. This will needs to be in the hands of a Thai person who will execute it. For that they will need some small funds, perhaps a few thousand baht.

You should also prepare a letter to your embassy which likewise expresses your request to be cremated in Thailand and the manner of disposition of the ashes. This letter should be kept in your home in a conspicuous place.

The question may not be so much about cremation as about getting the body released by the hospital. When my Chinese partner died (a Hong Kong 'citizen') in 1996, the British Consulate in Chiangmai had to get a release from his family in Hong Kong before they would release the body. He had signed forms donating his body to the medical school, so the question of arranging a cremation didn't come into it. He had no Thai will.

The information here is clear, excellent and indeed invaluable.

I'll just mention 2 other sources of info on funeral services (if any), cremation and burial of body or ashes (if required).

The Raintree Centre attached to Community Church will be very helpful, whether Christianity comes onto this or not. Their office is on the left side of the main road directly after the traffic lights as you leave the city, eastwards, over Nawarat Bridge. If you turn left at those lights (to face north, so the river is on your left) the entrance to their large car park is immediately on your right, before the church.

The other source is the Foreign Cemetery Committee (contact details from Raintree). The FC accepts ashes and bodies for burial of all non-Thais, irrespective of nationalty or religion, if any.

The information here is clear, excellent and indeed invaluable.

I'll just mention 2 other sources of info on funeral services (if any), cremation and burial of body or ashes (if required).

The Raintree Centre attached to Community Church will be very helpful, whether Christianity comes onto this or not. Their office is on the left side of the main road directly after the traffic lights as you leave the city, eastwards, over Nawarat Bridge. If you turn left at those lights (to face north, so the river is on your left) the entrance to their large car park is immediately on your right, before the church.

The other source is the Foreign Cemetery Committee (contact details from Raintree). The FC accepts ashes and bodies for burial of all non-Thais, irrespective of nationalty or religion, if any.

Thanks for all the advice. I have enough to be going on with. Many Thanks.