Daytrip To Myanmar

eek

This answer is probably lurking somewhere in the forum already, but a quick search didnt provide me with answers..so apologies if already asked.

I have a non imm visa.

A friend has asked me to take a day trip with them to Myanmar.

Is it possible to go across without it affecting my visa, or requiring a re-entry permit?

Thanks!

Edit: moved to Chiang Rai forum. Hope you cr guys can help me out! :)

Edited by eek
moved

Do you have a single entry Non Imm Visa?

Or a Multi Entry Non Imm Visa?

Or an extension of stay from Immigration?

single entry.

But as lop mentioned, i had heard you can get day passes. Ive never done it myself though. Was wondering if this is really the case or not.

Skybluestu, thanks for the tip, ill move this thread to the CR forum. :)

Eek, you can get a VIP pass. Cost 100B at the Thai border post.

Just get 2 copies of your passport made at the shop just to the left of the border office. (looking into Burma).

I've done it many times, I have a multiple entry visa but like to avoid the stamps that keep filling my passport.

Eek, you can get a VIP pass. Cost 100B at the Thai border post.

Just get 2 copies of your passport made at the shop just to the left of the border office. (looking into Burma).

I've done it many times, I have a multiple entry visa but like to avoid the stamps that keep filling my passport.

The man speaks the Truth, a couple of friends and I did it about 2 weeks ago. very, very easy.

100 baht for the Thai side, and 500 baht for the burmese.

Thai Imm Keep your passport while you cross on one of the photo copies, so no worries about not getting back to Thailand

Hand over your passport and two photocopies of the first page while you pay your 100 baht. Thailand keeps your passport and gives you two receipts. One you keep while the other you give to the Burmese, with the sum of 500 baht. The receipt you keep, will get your passport returned to you back in Thailand, at the same window you left it. Does not affect the status of your visa.

Reason for edit: Jubby got there first. I'm too slow once again. ;)

Edited by villagefarang

I actually get through Myanmar immigration quicker, you don't go through the photo taking and waiting for the temporary passport procedure.

And if the border closes, which has never happened in my time, your not going to get back whether you have a passport or not. Personally I'd rather my passport in Thailand than Burma in that case.

I actually get through Myanmar immigration quicker, you don't go through the photo taking and waiting for the temporary passport procedure.

And if the border closes, which has never happened in my time, your not going to get back whether you have a passport or not. Personally I'd rather my passport in Thailand than Burma in that case.

I suspect in the highly unlikely event you can just go a few hundred yards and wade across the River :D

I suspect in the highly unlikely event you can just go a few hundred yards and wade across the River :D

:lol:

Don't give the f***ers 500baht. $10 is the official rate and though they will hmm and hah, if you give them a clean unmarked note, they have to take it.

Maybe so. But for a few baht, sticking your pickle in the wringer with that crowd probably isn't a smart move. Especially if you want to do the trip again in the future. You just might find that you're a drug mule and didn't know. Or worse. Bad decision to stir shit in a place where you have no rights. If the money is that important to you, then it is probably better to just stay home and put it in the piggy bank.

Edited by kandahar

Don't give the f***ers 500baht. $10 is the official rate and though they will hmm and hah, if you give them a clean unmarked note, they have to take it.

Maybe so. But for a few baht, sticking your pickle in the wringer with that crowd probably isn't a smart move. Especially if you want to do the trip again in the future. You just might find that you're a drug mule and didn't know. Or worse. Bad decision to stir shit in a place where you have no rights. If the money is that important to you, then it is probably better to just stay home and put it in the piggy bank.

I don't like giving in to extortion anywhere but especially when it is from a junta appointed official

If you choose to ignore it, up to you.

I understand your point and the principle. I even agree with both. But my family is more important to me than those baht. I can't do my family much good if I get locked up. Now, if it was back home, I would stick to my guns on that one.

Edited by kandahar

I don't understand, why would you be locked up?

I have crossed this crossing many, many times and though they have been very insistant on getting baht from me, I stick to my guns and tell them I only have the official rate, $10.

They can only refuse to stamp me and this has never happened.

I don't understand, why would you be locked up?

I have crossed this crossing many, many times and though they have been very insistant on getting baht from me, I stick to my guns and tell them I only have the official rate, $10.

They can only refuse to stamp me and this has never happened.

I don't do the stamp, for starters.

I have also been in enough countries where corruption is the rule and I know what CAN happen. To me, it just isn't worth the risk. For a guy with a kid, it would be even less worth the risk. I have seen people whisked away at customs AND immigration in a variety of countries with no initial explanation. And at least some of them are still there.

I look at it this way- Way too many people have ended up in bad places because of something they were doing that was "right" but wasn't appreciated by whoever was in charge. That happens in a lot of places. It could happen at that office and probably has happened at that office in the past. There is no way I need to be sitting in a pit, wishing I had done the "wrong minor" thing and could be home with my family instead. Again, the well-being of the family outweighs my pride. So, if I get to the point where my pride will outweigh the well-being of my family, then I'll just avoid those little piss-ant situations. Again, I'm not on my home turf. And lots of folks that aren't on their home turf are wishing this very minute that they could be. But it is too late. They pissed on the wrong man's boots.