Resurgence Of Thai Red Shirts Causes New Concerns

webfact

The full article as from Mick above.

Chalerm to seek Thaksin's approval on campaign platforms

Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung on Tuesday said he would soon meet with ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra to seek his approval for five campaign platforms at the next poll.

"Should Thaksin travel to the region, I will take a trip to meet and get his blessing for the Pheu Thai policies," he said.

The five platforms are:

- To bring back the suspended 1997 Constitution,

- To impose five-year debt moratorium for farmers owing less than Bt500,000 and loan refinance for those with higher debt but not exceeding Bt1 million.

- To carry on policies initiated by Thaksin.

- To grant amnesty for all political cases dating back to September 19, 2006 and to pardon the political convicts if Pheu Thai Party secures election victory with a simple majority.

- To promote Thaksin as the campaign's selling point.

Chalerm voiced confidence that Phue Thai could manage to form a single-party government.

-- The Nation 2010-09-21

OK the quotes have dissapeared.

Note the 5 policy platforms.

1 is for the farmers and 4 are for Thaksin

The farmer part seems any government's policy. I know why I pay tax. What I don't know is why after years of this policy and billions thrown in it's still needed and necessary?

As for amnesty if he really wants it he should go back to begin of 2006, not just date of coup.

PS I am against amnesty, let there be no doubt about that!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More than one poster has referred to the Reds now being a democracy movement, with Thaksin no longer being an issue. As they seem to vote for PTP, please explain the following quote from today's news:

"Chalerm to seek Thaksin's approval on campaign platforms

Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung on Tuesday said he would soon meet with ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra to seek his approval for five campaign platforms at the next poll.

"Should Thaksin travel to the region, I will take a trip to meet and get his blessing for the Pheu Thai policies," he said.

There is a set routine from the forum Thaksin apologists.

The first is to be careful not to mention him when propagating the red line.

The second is to say that the red movement has gone beyond Thaksin

and the third when backs are against the wall to defend Thakin and here is the joke, 'against the elites'.

Some of them really have deluded themselves that Thaksin is merely the fairy godmother and not...

the Godfather.

• Like 2

The decline in Red-shirt supporter is unbelievable. From a million down to 5,000. At this rate, the number of Red-shirt supports will go negatives by year end.

Never even close to 1 million. Why are they allowed to rally in Bangkok under the SOE? They should all be locked up for breaking the law (again). And before you reds call me a yellow let me state my belief that the yellows should ALSO be locked up when they break the law :jap: (then again, peacefully taking over an airport and going on a murderous rampage in the nation's capitol probably call for different penalties under the law... :whistling: )

Total difference between the two rallies. The reds took on the Amata(old elite) who are protected by the army so in the end they got shot , and the yellows rally was peaceful because it was supported by the Amata and protected by army personnel, in plain clothes with hand guns. Police could not move the yellow shirts because that meant taking on the army (bigger guns than the police), Police did not want to move the red shirts because of many things such as many have ties to the regions the red shirts come from and moving them by force was not an option because they would have to live with people after the dust settled.

So long in Thailand so little knowledge of whats happening her. I am not 100% sure but taking over an airport accounts to terrorism while shooting your own people to retain power appears like genocide

Edited by truethailand
  • Like 2

Total difference between the two rallies. The reds took on the Amata(old elite) who are protected by the army so in the end they got shot , and the yellows rally was peaceful because it was supported by the Amata and protected by army personnel, in plain clothes with hand guns. Police could not move the yellow shirts because that meant taking on the army (bigger guns than the police), Police did not want to move the red shirts because of many things such as many have ties to the regions the red shirts come from and moving them by force was not an option because they would have to live with people after the dust settled.

So long in Thailand so little knowledge of whats happening her. I am not 100% sure but taking over an airport accounts to terrorism while shooting your own people to retain power appears like genocide

.... and not one mention of the fact that the red shirts were armed to the teeth.

At the end of the day the red shirts represent a sector of the Thai populace as do the yellow shirts and the pinkies for that matter. If they all manage to avoid charging around killing, threatening and burning why should anyone worry that they organize demos or stunts? At the end of the day they are going to have find some common ground among themsleves and with anyone in another group or outsdie any group for the country to move forwards. That is what happens in democracies and that is the route we should hope the various colour coded ones take here.

It may mean all of them and the government and opposition and exiled leaders and shadowy ones facing up to a few hard facts and be willing to let a few things go in the name of compromise but at the end of the day it has got to be better than more and increasing violence.

I am so perplexed and frustrated when people talk about moving towards a democracy. THis country is further from ademocracy than it was 10 years ago. Not about reds or yellows but the people in power or a new ruling class do not want DEMOCRACY. They want the status quo so they can stay rich and get richer. Democracy includes words like opportunity, responsibility for your decisions,fairness for all, an impartial judiciary, an army that keeps its snout out of running the country, freedom of the press, no suppressing political opposition, no political prisoners, accountability for all...need I go on.

This country is not a democracy its a military junta and they will fight to keep it that way. I believe the army will engineer a coup or state of emergency to prevent the next election but that would be their downfall. As shown in April they can not rely on the poor conscripts to suppress their own people so they used the hardcore to create the kill zones. If they create a coup the army will fracture (pros against conscripts) and then its the start of civil war. Conscripts on mass will lay down arms and join the other side and pick up their arms and point them the other way. Just calulate how many poor have spent 18 months in the army where they learnt many things including how to fire a rifle. In the last ten years how many poor lads join the army and know the basics 100,000, 200,000 is the picture getting clearer. Why are they sending the professional soldiers to a new camp outside Chiang Mai, only to stop the movement if it happens.

Nobody wants a CW but can anybody see a future without more casualties

The decline in Red-shirt supporter is unbelievable. From a million down to 5,000. At this rate, the number of Red-shirt supports will go negatives by year end.

Never even close to 1 million. Why are they allowed to rally in Bangkok under the SOE? They should all be locked up for breaking the law (again). And before you reds call me a yellow let me state my belief that the yellows should ALSO be locked up when they break the law :jap: (then again, peacefully taking over an airport and going on a murderous rampage in the nation's capitol probably call for different penalties under the law... :whistling: )

Pretty accurate assessment

philw

More than one poster has referred to the Reds now being a democracy movement, with Thaksin no longer being an issue. As they seem to vote for PTP, please explain the following quote from today's news:

and the third when backs are against the wall to defend Thakin and here is the joke, 'against the elites'.

Some of them really have deluded themselves that Thaksin is merely the fairy godmother and not...

the Godfather.

Let me try and get this straight.You are saying that all the red propaganda from - yawn - "Thaksin apologists" is off target, and that it's really only about Thaksin.I think you have made this point in one form or another several hundred times, so enough already.It's permissible on this forum to hold your reactionary and ignorant views but really it's unforgivable to be such a relentless bore.

Thailand is about to change and we should see that.

The "relentless bores" find that impossible to accept hence the propagation of the same old story.

Fact is the Thai dynamic is about to change.

When and how is the worry.

• Like 1

philw

No surprise Mr. Phil W. likes this. There are a few other examples to be found on this forum. As for 'truethailand', forget it, I'm no longer going to react on every reply which seems only put together with half-truths, non-proven assumptions and provocative conclusions.

Please search this forum for replies I've already given on pieces like this. Thank you <_<

Edited by rubl

No, he really, really, absolutely isn't behind any of it any more. Absolutely 100% nothing to do with him. I know this has been about quite a few red rallies before - in fact all of them - bit this time it's 100% true. Just like the last.

These "watermelon soldiers" are due now any day also.

Trust me. I'm a red shirt.

• Like 1

philw

No surprise Mr. Phil W. likes this. There are a few other examples to be found on this forum. As for 'truethailand', forget it, I'm no longer going to react on every reply which seems only put together with half-truths, non-proven assumptions and provocative conclusions.

Please search this forum for replies I've already given on pieces like this. Thank you <_<

Can you amplify and elucidate on your first sentence ??

( I may be trans gender .......)

But for the avoidance of doubt to which "half-truths, non-proven assumptions and provocative conclusions" do I refer ???

Please be specific.

Can you ?

philw

But for the avoidance of doubt to which "half-truths, non-proven assumptions and provocative conclusions" do I refer ???

Please be specific.

Can you ?

philw

Please be specific.

Can you ?

Transgender, umh. True, never considered that, my apologies.

Furthermore I didn't say you referred to anything, heaven forbid. No, it's our esteemed member 'truethailand' I was quoting there. As for further info, look it up yourself. I promised myself to try to stay cool whatever I read here tonight :)

Please be specific.

Can you ?

Transgender, umh. True, never considered that, my apologies.

Furthermore I didn't say you referred to anything, heaven forbid. No, it's our esteemed member 'truethailand' I was quoting there. As for further info, look it up yourself. I promised myself to try to stay cool whatever I read here tonight :)

Good night.

The Interior Ministry is mobilising a pro-monarchy rally to counter the mass gatherings called by the red shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship

today.At least 50,000 members of the Monarchy Defence Network from seven northeastern provinces _ Nong Khai, Kalasin, Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Sakon Nakhon,

Khon Kaen and Udon Thani _ are expected to turn up today at Thung Sri Muang, a public ground in central Udon Thani. Observers believe the gathering is intended

as a foil to the UDD's nationwide rallies.

(19th September 2010)

Anybody got any idea how many turned up here. I've not seen anything in the news or on the web. Maybe someone from Udon can enlighten me.

OK, I'll ask again. Does anybody have any idea as to whether 50,000 people turned up to the rally called by the Interior Ministry?

This is relevant to the discussion as it will provide some measure of the support given to Newin Chidchob-headed faction of the

Bhumjaithai Party that formed the Monarchy Defence Network and Interior Minister Chavarat Charnviraku who was due to preside

over the meeting. Apparently observers believe that the gathering was intended as a foil to the UDD's nationwide rallies.

Anybody from Udon Thani out there?

The Interior Ministry is mobilising a pro-monarchy rally to counter the mass gatherings called by the red shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship today. At least 50,000 members of the Monarchy Defence Network from seven northeastern provinces _ Nong Khai, Kalasin, Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen and Udon Thani _ are expected to turn up today at Thung Sri Muang, a public ground in central Udon Thani. Observers believe the gathering is intended as a foil to the UDD's nationwide rallies.

(19th September 2010)

Anybody got any idea how many turned up here. I've not seen anything in the news or on the web. Maybe someone from Udon can enlighten me.

OK, I'll ask again. Does anybody have any idea as to whether 50,000 people turned up to the rally called by the Interior Ministry? This is relevant to the discussion as it will provide some measure of the support given to Newin Chidchob-headed faction of the Bhumjaithai Party that formed the Monarchy Defence Network and Interior Minister Chavarat Charnviraku who was due to preside over the meeting. Apparently observers believe that the gathering was intended as a foil to the UDD's nationwide rallies.

Anybody from Udon Thani out there?

From BKK I have no idea. Mind you I cannot even remember having seen the news item that the I.M. would organize such a rally. 50.000 expected, no less! That's probably why we heard nothing ;)

This article claims there were about 5,000 people at the rally while, in a different article of TN, the new police chief informed the PM that the police estimate was wrong, as the figure was more like 10,000.

Does someone need to go back to school to learn how to count??

:whistling:

Seems like one sided reporting to me. But then again the Nation must be owned by a yellow shirt, who never do anything wrong.

philw

Right on!!!!!!!!! But wait for the coo. I can not spell anyway. Hahaha

the Godfather.

Let me try and get this straight.You are saying that all the red propaganda from - yawn - "Thaksin apologists" is off target, and that it's really only about Thaksin.I think you have made this point in one form or another several hundred times, so enough already.It's permissible on this forum to hold your reactionary and ignorant views but really it's unforgivable to be such a relentless bore.

The reactionary and ignorant views come consistently from the red cheerleaders who even when argued with relentlessly parrot the same old stuff.

If corrections have to be re-stated then so be it.

The core reactionary position is Thaksin's.

Nothing will be allowed to upset the regional class alliance under the firm grip of the northern landowners in Thakin's pocket.

All the wittering from the pale pink reds about class war cannot disguise this fact.

At least the rules of the game have changed now that Thaksin has lost the initiative and his armed rabble have been kicked off the streets.

You may not recognise this but the gremlin of Montenegro at least does.

Glad you have at last shown a sense of humour with this over the top parody of your last (several hundred) posts.

In any event we shall see how the land lies whenever the next general election takes place.Oops quite forgot, it's not going to take place any time soon - mainly of course because the elite are shitting in their pants terrified of the outcome.Never mind I'm sure there are (and will be, cough cough) lots of opportunities to delay in the national interest for a few years.That will give time to install the Burmese model.

• Like 1

In any event we shall see how the land lies whenever the next general election takes place.Oops quite forgot, it's not going to take place any time soon - mainly of course because

it's not scheduled to be held until next year.

I suppose you mean it doesn't have to be held under the rules until November/December 2011 (i.e ignoring the powerful moral case for an earlier legitimisation of the Abhisit regime).

However the delay I was alluding to was more in the ballpark of 2013 or even 2014.I think we can assume there will be endless delays and prevarication (no prizes for guessing the most likely excuse) because of the likely outcome of any popular vote (assuming, and that's a very big "if", the election is held fairly without attempts to cheat by the military, politicised courts, or feudalists).Anyway it may all take a fairly long time but the eventual outcome is assured.Let's hope there's a modicum of enlightened self interest on the part of the amart as it inevitably loses power and resources.The alternative could be appalling.

• Like 1

In any event we shall see how the land lies whenever the next general election takes place.Oops quite forgot, it's not going to take place any time soon - mainly of course because

it's not scheduled to be held until next year.

I suppose you mean it doesn't have to be held under the rules until November/December 2011

Yes.

However the delay I was alluding to was more in the ballpark of 2013 or even 2014.

We'll check back with you then.

Edited by Buchholz

Amart? .... WOW! Somebody believes this is about Amart and Phrai? That somebody fails to see that it is a very privileged few that are leading the Red cause and that those few are certainly amongst Thailand's elite. I am amazed to see people actually using the red propaganda buzz-words so shamelessly :)

• Like 1

Amart? .... WOW! Somebody believes this is about Amart and Phrai? That somebody fails to see that it is a very privileged few that are leading the Red cause and that those few are certainly amongst Thailand's elite. I am amazed to see people actually using the red propaganda buzz-words so shamelessly :)

"amart" is a useful shorthand term.Most people, regardless of their political views, know exactly what it means.Why are you so excited by its use?

"phrai" is normally used ironically, and actually rather less than a few months ago.

However the delay I was alluding to was more in the ballpark of 2013 or even 2014.

Hypothesize for me, if you will, exactly how the Abhisit government - or regime as you prefer - will manage to delay their term in office beyond the length of what the constitution allows.

Hypothesize for me, if you will, exactly how the Abhisit government - or regime as you prefer - will manage to delay their term in office beyond the length of what the constitution allows.

If you read what I have already written the answer to your question is there, albeit somewhat obliquely for the usual reasons.

Let's just say that a major event is likely to be exploited by the elite, whether through a state of emergency, another coup....who can tell? Anything but a fair choice by the Thai people.

• Like 1

Out come the boys in green and install an interim gov't which is headed by someone they like. He is giving them the money they want to buy their toys you know. Perhaps, payback for past backing but with the chance of more to come, who knows.

As long as the elite feel threatened (including the so called leaders of the reds), they will do what they can to keep the masses underfoot. They are not going to share the pot with every Somchai, Therdsak and Siripong are they. The general public will be left with the dregs as usual no matter who is in power until something is done about corruption.

• Like 1