China Here I Come!

Well, I've spent almost two months back in Blighty, resting on my laurels in Aberdeen, Lancaster, the Isle Of Wight, and Aylesbury and my money has almost run out - so it's just as well that the entertainment company I worked for in Bangkok have pleaded for me to return, this time to Beijing.

I've never been to China, and I'm n ot sure what to expect and was wondering if you members could offer me some tips.

I have just three questions...

1: It it expensive compared to Thailand?

2: What are the plug sockets like?

3: Is the food tasty and can I get good quality western food such as Brie and watercress from the supermarkets?

Fly out KLM first class to Hong Kong via Amsterdam tomorrow morning where I will get my visa sorted out by some Chinese bloke who will meet me there, then off to meet my half brother and his fiancee and hand him his birthday card before going to the hotel and clearing out the mini bar.

Beijing the next morning and lots of stressful, hot, hard work in the blazing sunshine for 13hrs a day, but I'll be making shitloads of wonga so no members or senior prolific admins can accuse me of being a wastrel or a poor unemployed person.

The good news is that in October, when done, I may wish to return to Thailand and the portable amusement park may follow.

The bad news I'm sorry to say, is that due to how busy I will undoubtedly be, I will have very little time indeed to spend time online and could well be away from ThaiVisa for a while.

I urge members not to be too upset by this and I will return at some point and am confident that ThaiVisa is strong enough to survive my absence. :D

I look forward to swaggering down Sukhumvit Road with wads of cash come November and buying some of you a tasty beer, though before leaving China, I may wish to have a look at that big wall they have first.

Now, if I may be serious for a moment, I would be most grateful for any answers to my three questions or tips in general. :D

P.S. I am aware they have no sense of humour. :o

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've spent almost two months back in Blighty, resting on my laurels in Aberdeen, Lancaster, the Isle Of Wight, and Aylesbury and my money has almost run out - so it's just as well that the entertainment company I worked for in Bangkok have pleaded for me to return, this time to Beijing.

I've never been to China, and I'm n ot sure what to expect and was wondering if you members could offer me some tips.

3: Is the food tasty and can I get good quality western food such as Brie and watercress from the supermarkets?

Fly out KLM first class to Hong Kong via Amsterdam tomorrow morning where I will get my visa sorted out by some Chinese bloke who will meet me there, then off to meet my half brother and his fiancee and hand him his birthday card before going to the hotel and clearing out the mini bar.

Beijing the next morning and lots of stressful, hot, hard work in the blazing sunshine for 13hrs a day, but I'll be making shitloads of wonga so no members or senior prolific admins can accuse me of being a wastrel or a poor unemployed person.

The good news is that in October, when done, I may wish to return to Thailand and the portable amusement park may follow.

The bad news I'm sorry to say, is that due to how busy I will undoubtedly be, I will have very little time indeed to spend time online and could well be away from ThaiVisa for a while.

I urge members not to be too upset by this and I will return at some point and am confident that ThaiVisa is strong enough to survive my absence. :D

I look forward to swaggering down Sukhumvit Road with wads of cash come November and buying some of you a tasty beer, though before leaving China, I may wish to have a look at that big wall they have first.

Now, if I may be serious for a moment, I would be most grateful for any answers to my three questions or tips in general.  :D

P.S. I am aware they have no sense of humour.  :o

As long as they pay you enough...You will be sabai!

:

1 , not much diff...(same same but different)

2 travel-adapter-au.jpg

You will probably be able to use any kind of socket, most fittings here have 2 or 3 different sizes. The standard north american or british is mostly ok, and plus , if not you can buy an adaptor very cheaply here.

It will be no problem

3 if compare with thai , food there have less taste ..but maybe its good for farang coz mild taste

BB :o

Edited by BambinA

(sorry , i cant edit ..so i hve to post again)

google..

Electricity: The electrical current in China is 220 volts, 50 cycles (AC). Wall outlets take American-style plugs, with two flat parallel prongs; however, they may not take the third, oversized prong, used for grounding, now in general use in the United States.

To use your U.S. Purchased electric-powered appliances, you'll need a converter (See Below), unless they are dual voltage, in which case you'll need only the adapter for the plug. Most laptops operate equally well on 220 or 110 volts and only require an adapter and definitely a power surge protector.

I recently saw a converter in Radio Shack that handles your 110 volt appliance here in China. It takes in 220 volts and brings it down to 110 volts. It's called "international adapter".

Don't use the 110 volt outlets in the hotels marked "for shavers only" with high-wattage appliances such as blow dryers

You may want to forget your electric shaver and bring along those Gillette/Schick Custom Disposable Shavers and save space in the suitcase. I don't even use shaving cream when I travel. Just lather up your face with soap and shave away with your disposable shaver. If you forget you can always get them while in Guangzhou at the Watsons or Friendship Stores where I usually buy them when not in Hong Kong

These are more common in homes(plug1 pic)

These are more common in Hotels(plug2 pic)

Remember: Adapter plugs do not convert electricity. Below illustrates the male end of the adapter that will plug into the wall socket, the male prongs of the converter will plug into the adapter with the male prongs of the hair dryer that will plug into the converter. Keep in mind that no matter what type of plug an outlet might accept, voltage in China is 220v, 50 hz and not acceptable for your U.S. purchased appliances.

(plug3 pic)

Bambi :o

post-19740-1121814915_thumb.jpg

post-19740-1121815051_thumb.jpg

post-19740-1121815081_thumb.jpg

I've been to Beijing twice for a few weeks each time. The last time was about five years ago and the first time was about four years before that. The city changed dramatically between those two trips, so I doubt my experiences will be of any use to you. The first time I was there, I was watched continually. The second time, they were much more relaxed and I was able to adventure out by myself without any problems.

The city is probably much more like Bangkok now. Good luck and enjoy the Chinese cuisine which was excellent and relatively inexpensive when I was there. If you are offered a box lunch with some sort of greasy, bony fish avoid it if at all possible. I have to admit I never did eat any of the street food there.

I was in Shanghai 10 days ago, albeit only for 3 days but:

Shanghai is marginally more expensive than Bangkok, IMO.

BambinA has addressed this correctly.

You'll get Western food (quality suspect) but Brie and watercress? No idea. Chinese restaurant food is good if you keep away from snake and chicken's feet.

... but I'll be making shitloads of wonga so no members or senior prolific admins can accuse me of being a wastrel or a poor unemployed person.

I hope your employer is looking after your "income t*x". That's a can of worms, all right!

Anyway Scamp, I'm sure you'll enjoy it over there. Good luck

Scampy, Hotels,beer ,coffee and sex are expensive compared to LoS. if your a coffee addict take your own ,although you will find exceptions chinese version of coffee is akin to molten tarmac. Clothing, shoes and food are good quality and cheap.

I did not need an electrical adaptor anywhere,most hotel rooms have a choice of outlets.

Dont know about brie but they are fanatics regarding freshness in market produce and restruant food is great with huge variety and cheap cheap.

Brekky at a noodle cafe,fresh noodles in chicken stock with vegies,meats quall eggs,prawns served in a bowl the size of a kitchen sink 15 yuan (75bt) Chicken legs in honey and soy,fabulous.

Geez ,if the tests werent starting tomorrow I,d go buy a ticket now.

The people from young to old are really friendly,IMHO more so than here in Los, Unfold a map or take a piccy with a digital and bingo ,instant audience.I think the phrase "Smile and the world smiles with you" must have originated in China.

One and the same? :D:o

I love it Scamp, one of your best to date! :D

All the very best Scampy, can't wait to hear the "updates from china". Work hard, play hard :D

Edited by baht&sold

Adaptor plugs are for sissies!!! You don't need them!!! Just take a short piece of electrical cable and a pair of long nose pliers with you....wrap one end of both wires in the cable around the prongs on the plug and insert the other ends into the receptacle....and if you are a worry wart and want to connect the ground wire too then just bring along another piece of cable!!!!

Thought you were off to Iceland to do some deep sea fishing, Scamp! :o

Best of luck in China - learn some Marandin while you're there. "Nee How Maa' :D

Say there Stoll, is that the way they wire appliances in the Fatherland? :D

Edited by Boon Mee

Thought you were off to Iceland to do some deep sea fishing, Scamp! :D

Best of luck in China - learn some Marandin while you're there. "Nee How Maa' :D

Marandin? :D:o

Good Luck Scamp........ two tickets for the roller coaster please :D

Don't volunteer to be in charge of queues, because the mainland Chinese won't line up.

I recall going to the Ming Tombs just outside Beijing, and the people in the queueing area were literally jumping over each others backs, (the same way that cows do if in a small pen). Most were shouting at the tops of their voices, some were hitting others on the head with rolled up newspapers.

Also you will get a lot of people just gormlessly standing around staring at the rides.

Right, Gent...and your spelling is always spot on! :D:D

Right, Gent...and your spelling is always spot on! :D:D

It just made me laugh, as I was visualizing George Bush saying it in his dumb ass way :D:D .

Goodluck and remember chinese aren't very humorous sort, so keep everything above board. Don't want to read about you in the paper. :D

What unlike the KOREANS......miserable sods ..... :D

Last time i got stuck there I thought I was in North Korea :o

Good Luck......