Battery Recycling In Cm

neilrob

I read that the Mayor said there was a place to take used batteries for correct disposal/recycling out at the government centre near 700 year stadium. I went along there today, but no one there seemed to have heard of it. Has anyone found such a place in CM?

• 2 months later...

I tried to find a place to recycle old batteries. Couldn't. Had a plastic bag full of the things - Mrs Scribe probably chucked them in the rubbish. I think the shops (like Tesco etc.) need to get their act together on this one

Edited by TheScribe

Laugh if you want.

But I actually feel a bit of guilt throwing the battery for my hearing aid in the garbage.

Got so use to recycling in North America it was a shock when I got to Chiang Mai.

Lately the wife has found a place for tin cans and bottles.

Not much money but for her mother who does it it is the occasional free meal. Besides I believe in it.B)

And then one has to wonder what really happens to the batteries after they've been dropped off. Something like 15 years ago I took a handful of small batteries to the K-Mart customer service desk for (proper) disposal. The attendant took my batteries and deposited them directly into the trash--even before I turned my back and walked away! I nearly exploded on the spot.

Fire stations (in Minnesota at least) also have large plastic containers outside the station for battery disposal.

And then one has to wonder what really happens to the batteries after they've been dropped off.

Perhaps they are repackaged and sold on a stall in the Night Market! At least that would be a form of recycling...:whistling:

To be fair, the box/bin at Carrefour looked the same as the custom made ones I see in shops in Europe.

Yes, my better half has just confirmed there was a recycling box on the customer services counter at Carrefour last time she went - small household-type batteries only.

Rgds

Thanks, that is good to know. Car, truck and motor cycle batteries can be sold to most recyclers.

Laugh if you want.

But I actually feel a bit of guilt throwing the battery for my hearing aid in the garbage.

Got so use to recycling in North America it was a shock when I got to Chiang Mai.

Lately the wife has found a place for tin cans and bottles.

Not much money but for her mother who does it it is the occasional free meal. Besides I believe in it.B)

Good! wink.gif

Yes, my better half has just confirmed there was a recycling box on the customer services counter at Carrefour last time she went - small household-type batteries only.

Rgds

-Carrefour-, good to know!

According to here:

Chiang Mai Mail

they are at 15 different locations, including municipal office, Airport Plaza and KSK

Following is the pertinent paragraph.

He is very enthusiastic about recycling and has 15 hazardous waste recycling bins set up, the bins take such as items as old batteries, cell phones etc and can be found in Kad Suan Kaew, Central Airport and in front of the Municipal building as well as other locations around the city. He said that the City Council originally rejected the plan so he managed to get 15 such stations from the Pollution Control Department for free. It has been such a success that they have now ordered 100 more.

According to here:

Chiang Mai Mail

they are at 15 different locations, including municipal office, Airport Plaza and KSK

He is very enthusiastic about recycling and has 15 hazardous waste recycling bins set up, the bins take such as items as old batteries, cell phones etc and can be found in Kad Suan Kaew, Central Airport and in front of the Municipal building as well as other locations around the city. He said that the City Council originally rejected the plan so he managed to get 15 such stations from the Pollution Control Department for free. It has been such a success that they have now ordered 100 more.

Thank you for this. But it is a bit vague. Do we know whereabouts in KSK?

Rgds

According to here:

Chiang Mai Mail

too bad they can't put some basic garbage cans/bins around the city. start with sunday walking street.

According to here:

Chiang Mai Mail

too bad they can't put some basic garbage cans/bins around the city. start with sunday walking street.

Many years ago, that street was always filthy, then they put up garbage disposal bins and things got a lot better for a few years.. Sad to hear they are gone.. :(

Thailand should have a look at the recycling that they have in Mumbai in India.

They recycle 90 of the garbage every day.

People work every day and make money to live on.

It was a very unusual program that shower that their is over 400 products that can be recycled.

I thought Australia was a good recycling place,because in South Australia we have been doing heaps more than the other states. :D

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I took my old household batteries (I'd accumulated them over a few years now) to the municipal offices on Intaworot Rd. in the old city (west of the Three Kings monument). There is a recycling station at the front of the building---very easy.

According to here:

Chiang Mai Mail

Many years ago, that street was always filthy, then they put up garbage disposal bins and things got a lot better for a few years.. Sad to hear they are gone.. :(

I got told by a thai that people kept putting something in the bins thats was not good(boom) so they got rid of them all.whistling.gif

rakchiangmai..

re ... I got told by a thai that people kept putting something in the bins thats was not good(boom) so they got rid of them all

nahh .... not true coz these three boxes were still there yesterday

theres a very badly printed map on the sides of every box pointing out their 100 odd locations all over chiang mai

but i cant read any of them

dave2

ps ... dead batteries go in the little orange flap in the middle : )

post-42592-0-31431900-1299599484_thumb.j

post-42592-0-17314100-1299599699_thumb.j

post-42592-0-86497300-1299599720_thumb.j

post-42592-0-12505800-1299599763_thumb.j