Falang Jumps To Death In Chiang Mai.

Throatwobbler

The mysterious suicides of some western men occur because they find themselves caught up in a sexual encounter with a child. They see no way out.

In other cases, what other posters have mentioned is true, but some people give up too soon. Getting the wrong girlfriend or having money troubles are only temporary.

Life can seem worthless if a person has only limited goals that depend on social values. All social values are artificial.

If he loses these things, he thinks there is nothing to live for for, but he has given up before he knows how vast the world is.

He should never have given up.

the people watching could have done a bit more than just watch, like follow under him with anything that would cushion the weight. Even if you do not have an object, you can run at the person before he hits the ground and break his fall. A few bones on both sides might get broken, but a life might be saved.

Edited by jan1van1hooten

I worked for many years in San Fran bay area, as a social worker/therapist... specializing in Mental Health and Substance Abuse. Being a social worker or a missionary does not automatically make a person qualified to handle situations like this. While it is probably better than just some person walking down the street, in reality, most cities in northern california have special crisis services teams - with clinicians who worked with the police and specialized in dealing with "street" and home situations that could possibly turn bad. Additionally, there are suicide hotlines with folks specifically trained for these cases.

I don't think Thailand is up to speed on these service models.

I think you are absolutely right - Thailand is not only not up to speed - but nobody really cares if attending such a scene most are there because they find it "exciting".

I think that this could have ended differently as many people who make a very public attempt to take their own life - often want to signal that they need help - they believe the situation they are in has no way out. A person trained to deal with situations like this is very often able to change their mind and saves their life by getting it through to them that there is always a way out no matter how big the problem seems.

The problem here is that this person should be of a similar cultural background.

I don't want to point any fingers in this particular case here - I am sure everybody has tried to do their best.

The problem I have noticed here over the years is the almost absolute absence of compassion and often total indifference towards strangers no matter if Thai or "Farang".

I had a very sad experience many years ago which I will never forget - a Thai friend woke us at around 2 AM one night obviously very upset about something - we soon found out that he could not get into his room which was locked from the inside but he saw from a window opposite that his friend and roommate had committed suicide as he saw him hanging by his head, some kind of cloth around his neck and his body motionless.

We ran there and climbed up to the second floor to brake a window and open the door for the police which had arrived in the meantime.

Then came the "shocking" experience the "ambulance" team (a pickup with flashing lights) - before taking any vital signs checking if he was still alive - took to my horror - pictures from different angles!!

I asked the Thai friend what the hel_l they where doing - he whispered to me "they can sell these to the papers"!

To all our surprise the " dead" body suddenly started to move - while we where delighted to see that the attempt had failed and he was alive - one of the rescue people complained about the waste of film (yes there where no digital cams back then) as he now could not sell the pictures. At no time anybody from the "official" side inquired about the well being of the totally drunk and obviously stressed out person who had tried to commit suicide.

Having lost the opportunity to make some extra bucks with the pictures - the police found playing cards on the floor - and can you believe it - fined the poor guy 500 Baht for the "crime" of playing cards - and then they all left.

We tried to talk to the poor guy and he agreed that he would go to sleep - and we talked to his friend to meet the next day to discuss his problems.

I wish I could report that from that point on the poor guys life took a turn for the better - but it was sadly not so. A few hours later he sneaked out of the room and apparently sat down in the middle of a road and was instantly killed when a car ran him over.

He had obviously made up is mind that he did not want to live anymore - wish we would have watched him that night - he might still be alive today - who knows.

the people watching could have done a bit more than just watch, like follow under him with anything that would cushion the weight. Even if you do not have an object, you can run at the person before he hits the ground and break his fall. A few bones on both sides might get broken, but a life might be saved.

Are you serious? I don't know where you learned your physics but that only happens in the movies.

Are you serious? I don't know where you learned your physics but that only happens in the movies.

I was thinking the same thing. You beat me to it.

I feel from what from what I've seen that the Thai police did what they could. I can't imagine that they have much trained negotiators for Thai nationals in a similar situation, nevermind a falang. I feel the Policewoman was probably sent up in the crane because she could speak English OK and with no training what to do in that situation. i imagine she feels terrible at the moment.

All that is of course my opinion and I could be wrong. just tragic to see a young wasted life.

I just saw this.

I had a friend who jumped off the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco many many years ago.

A tragedy for all involved- the deceased, the witnesses, and his family.

Very sorry to hear of this young life wasted- I have a son age 25 so this resonates strongly with me.

RIP, young man.

-_-

Suicide is unfortunately a very common situation these days. It is very close to many of us, closer than many would care to think. It may be a relative or friend who has died but whoever it is, those who are hurt most are the relatives and friends who love and care for the victim.

I'm glad to see that almost all the posts on this thread are written with thought and compassion. I hope it stays that way.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I know the woman tourist police officer who tried to stop the jumper and she is very dedicated and professional. I believe she is one of the better officers, and did the best she could, but tourist police do not really receive much if any training in suicide prevention, dealing with mentally ill persons, etc. I worked 25 years as supervisor in law enforcement and did used to work as volunteer tourist police. Contrary to what you see written here, mostly from people who have no clue about volunteers or what they do, they were for the most part normal expats who wanted to spend a little time doing something helpful and interesting. There were some wannabe cops to be sure, but they were in the minority and really no one wanted to work with these types. The program still exists but there are far fewer members. I do not feel it is my place to divulge information about a Thai law enforcement organization, so I will just say I feel that there were resources available to the department via the volunteers which were either underutilized or not at all. I do not know if having a farang volunteer negotiate with this jumper would have made any difference. But what I am saying it could have been an option, and sadly it is not.

Very sad to read something like this....

Condolences to his family

Sad too that a person this young thinks in despair that they have nothing.

When in reality the fact that they are so young means they still have so much yet to come but did not realize it.

As serious from as I could hear that 26 year old kid was when he screamed some of his answers back to the Thai Tourist Policewoman up in the basket yesterday, it did seem to take some time before the poor guy finally jumped. He had made a few outwardly moves as in testing an actual jump in his head by a semi thrust out, but then would back off. He did listen, but what you guys are hitting on may actually be true from my recalling the play by play, going through the situation in my head. He was listening but it wasn't enough, and that basket was for sure full of 4 people, 1 recue, 1 fireman, 1 real Thai normal policeman and 1 Thai tourist policewoman. Not so inviting fot the poor guy.

Maybe if he did actualy see a foreigner smiling, caring, trained, and speaking the right stuff he needed to hear, it would have ended differently. Over all, I did not see one white tourist policeman there, but then there could have been and I missed it. Now this would be a good thing for a smart foreign tourist police volunteer to get educated in. Not all of them could do it, because some of them are kind of hoaky, but one that comes off as not an idiot, is true genuine, and that everyone seems to like and could really do the job well. They would probably need to take off that uniform first before confronting someone as well.

Uncletom

In giving my earlier comment a bit more thought, I suppose what I was unrealistically suggesting was a qualified person to be on-call 24 hours a day. That's asking a bit much for the rare times the service would be warranted. Then, too, getting the help to the location speedily would also be really tough; certainly most of us have had the passing thought of "Hmmm, what if that were me in that ambulance that nobody is yielding to, the one that's tied up in traffic, or just stopped at a red light because it's a red light." While considering his demise, a desperate person would have plenty of time to determine that nobody cares.

The point about the negotiator not being in uniform is also not to be taken lightly. Admit it or not, most people do not like to have dealings with police. There are other uniforms also which at times can be off-putting, be they doctors' white coats, military uniforms, other officials, and clergy uniforms. True, there are times when any of these uniforms can also be most comforting. However, at a time of suicide crisis, I would think that a calming and compassionate voice without the clutter of "authority" would have a chance of better results.

And language, too, was mentioned. Having excellent--even native--facility in the language of the person in need is crucial. Many Thais can speak a bit of English, but they are not adept at handling situations like the case in point. As a native English speaker for over 60 years I would not consider myself qualified to deal with this kind of thing; who among us could? In addition to this, our English skills wouldn't go far if the person in need were Japanese, German, Korean, or Saudi. The problem compounds.

Chiang Mai will continue to attract foreigners--whether for retirement or for shorter term. If any of us were to explore the need here more passionately, some good could result for the unseen desperate and hopeless among us.

This is really tragic. I know in some places with expat communities they have emotional support lines (and by email)... it seems it might be worth setting one up here? Though of course the hours would be limited.

I've worked in mental health over the years and was volunteering with a service back in Australia for three years (Lifeline) just before I moved here, so I have a decent amount of experience manning a crisis telephone line. If there are others out there who are interested, perhaps we could set something up? Or we could even do it as an emotional support group, that's facilitated by people like me who know how to deal.

I have come across a few people here who have backgrounds as counsellors/psychs... it seems there might be a need here.

In the USA, they have special trained people who come and talk to the jumpers. It's a very interesting profession, for sure. A friend of mine once interviewed a few of these guys in San Francisco. Many people trying to jump from the bridge every month.

There is an organisation of volunteers in the UK called the Samaritans who man locally based 24/7 phone lines to try to aid those who are considering suicide. The volunteers have to undergo a personal evaluation and extensive training and I've known some people who have given time to this very worthy cause. Hugely stressful for the helper too.

The Samaritans are fantastic. I called them once when I lived in the UK and it really helped a lot. It was no surprise that when I returned to Australia a few months later I immediately signed up for the Australian equivalent, and underwent five months of training.

Also i couldn't believe it. while at the library, a Thai police man walked through trying to act cute. He lokked up twice at the guy and yelled Buffalo at him and laughed. No telling if the guy could hear it, maybe, it was loud enough. Aftetr taht the cop non chalantly walked away.

Uncletom

I think it was probably something ruder than Buffalo - very similar sounding Thai words

sysardman

No,the cop was saying Buffalo and as you know it is commonly used by Thai people the same as foreigners alike. I would be interested to know the Thai word you are thinking of, so if you could be so kind to PM me what it is because for the life of me I can only think of the ones that don't sound similar.

uncletom

sysardman

No,the cop was saying Buffalo and as you know it is commonly used by Thai people the same as foreigners alike. I would be interested to know the Thai word you are thinking of, so if you could be so kind to PM me what it is because for the life of me I can only think of the ones that don't sound similar.

uncletom

ควาย - buffalo

ควย - penis

(bad word that sounds like buffalo) - penis

Perhaps it would be a good idea to mention that this is about as offensive as you can get in terms of Thai words. I said it once and got slapped pretty hard, told in no uncertain terms that I should never, ever, say it again.

edit - to remove that word from my post! Don't want it associated with me....

Edited by naboo

sysardman

uncletom

[it may be that the Thai policeman was speaking in english the word Buffalo. Some Thais freely associate the term Buffalo with being stupid as in stupid as a Buffalo. In either case a very unprofessional comment for a policeman to make when dealing with a man who may be intent on killing himself. ]

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it was the same guy, but there was a guy this afternoon that climbed a large billboard on the corner near ICON plaza. I didn't stick around to watch(I'm a bit squeemish) but there was a farang woman watching - maybe the wife /GF.

After reading all of the replies I am reminded of Peter Weller's line in the film Buckaroo Banzai: "No matter where you go . . . there you are."