Falang Jumps To Death In Chiang Mai.

Throatwobbler

The Thai news just showed a falang jumping to his death in Chiang Mai. According to my girlfriend his name was Nathan and he was from Australia. Apparently it was near the Kamtieng lotus. Does anyone else have any news on this or what his background was. RIP and condolences to any friends and family he may have had here and at home.

Don't know if it was the same guy, but there was a guy this afternoon that climbed a large billboard on the corner near ICON plaza. I didn't stick around to watch(I'm a bit squeemish) but there was a farang woman watching - maybe the wife /GF.

This guy jumped from a large billboard. They showed it all on Thai TV. You saw him jump but not hit the ground. Watching it made me feel sick. I forgot Thai Tv shows all that.

It seemedthe Thai authorities did what they could. the Tv showed them trying to get air mattresses unveiled, but too late. People seemed to be trying to talk to him to.

If this tragic man would have been smoking or holding a bottle of beer, the media would have censored the whole scene.

Was once told, it is easy to live in Thailand, but also just as easy to die here. Sometimes foreigners find themselves alone, destitute and out of their depth in Thailand. Quite a few fall in love with the wrong type of girls, run out of money, and for many reasons are unable to stay in the country with nowhere else to go.

I think living in Thailand should carry a public heath warning for foreigners that come here ill prepared, on a hope and a prayer or seeking love with someone that may screw them for every penny.

Play it wrong the first time and the dream can easily turn into a nightmare. Just think about it, that's all.

That's what I'm wondering if happened. My girlfriend said that the Tv said that he had no one before he jumped. I think there is a lot of people who come here as a last option and when then that goes wrong..

A serious question. Is there anywhere Falang can go to get help, when all their bridges are burned and their last option has gone wrong?

Approximately 16:00 am on September 21, 2553 policed received notification that a foreign male from 25-30 years of age climbed on top of large billboard. After an hour of negotiating by tourism offical and police in a lift basket the man jumped.

Google translate CM-108

Just a caution as the video is rather graphic.

Topic reopened with valid media source now available.

A tragedy by any means.

There are some Thai web sites already covering this with photos (not for the squeamish).

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/35004.html

It does look like the Thai authorities did make some serious efforts and the site (before and after) and that must be recognised. I am not sure there would be many emergency response units that could dissuade anyone once they have put their thoughts into that level of action.

Some sincere very comments by Thais in condolence on web sites as well.

sorry folks...pipped by post from Tywais

Edited by mamborobert

Approximately 16:00 am on September 21, 2553 policed received notification that a foreign male from 25-30 years of age climbed on top of large billboard. After an hour of negotiating by tourism offical and police in a lift basket the man jumped.

Google translate CM-108

Reported here as "Mr. Nathan is a tourist Australian citizenship 26 years old"

Also here

Edited by garyh

I just watched the video, sad sight indeed.

have to say though that I am impressed with how hard the Thais worked at getting him down alive and also after he jumped, they did there best by the looks of it.

RIP

on a footnote: its a pretty selfish thing to do as you can see by the video there will be many people probably quite upset that he did not make it. not blaming him though as nobody knows what his problem was and also there is no where in Thailand to get help if you need it.

would it be a possibility to set up a help line of somesorts? Would Charity be able to cover something like this?

I just watched the video, sad sight indeed.

have to say though that I am impressed with how hard the Thais worked at getting him down alive and also after he jumped, they did there best by the looks of it.

RIP

on a footnote: its a pretty selfish thing to do as you can see by the video there will be many people probably quite upset that he did not make it. not blaming him though as nobody knows what his problem was and also there is no where in Thailand to get help if you need it.

would it be a possibility to set up a help line of somesorts? Would Charity be able to cover something like this?

Signs and literature could be made available in all guest houses etc where people may stay would be one way to reach someone in need.

Yeah, I was there and saw him up on the billboardyesterday. I was at the library looking up. Actually he saw everything from his vantage and even looked straight dab at me and me at him 3+ times. He was for sure serious and the Thai tourist police woman did all she could do. Seems like it a was like a festivalevent for the Thais, only thing they were missing was a mat and a picnic basket.

This more than likely added to him jumping, because he probalby felt he had no choice. Get down humiliated with all those people and get arrested, or do it. Not saying for sure or not, but it seemed he wasn't so straight, so I think something adultered him in some way.

Also i couldn't believe it. while at the library, a Thai police man walked through trying to act cute. He lokked up twice at the guy and yelled Buffalo at him and laughed. No telling if the guy could hear it, maybe, it was loud enough. Aftetr taht the cop non chalantly walked away.

Anyway, I was late to pick up my daughter, got home 45 minutes later and saw the jump on Channel 7 news. Now that was some video, not like the bubblegum one in the links I just saw. Today only thing left is a drying pool of blood.

Uncletom

That's another image I wish I'd never seen. So young. There were some very interesting things said here. Most importantly is that suicide is a very selfish act.

I saw Beetlejuice's other topic about people getting in over their heads here in LOS's, but I'm not sure this is applicable here. He was talking about self-delusion, which is common here. It's difficult for some to realize that they're not 25 years old anymore. This poor soul was only 26. There was more involved with his actions.

Google translate CM-108

Tywais, can you please explain to me why the news reports and actual video footage shown on Channels 3,5,7 are not a valid media source :blink:

In situations like this back home it's often the case that a police chaplain or some other person trained in counseling is called on to try to reason with such a person. With the multitude of missionaries here, perhaps there's a place for their assistance.

Let me be clear here that I'm not at all suggesting that they at any time mention God or Jesus or use such similar references in their negotiating. I'm just putting forward the idea that a qualified person in their organization(s) would see that a real service could be provided.

Very saddened by this unfortunate death of a countryman, the poor guy had only arrived there the day before he jumped, no friends, problems with his family, who he has not seen for a long time. Seems to me the Thai police woman did her best with trying to talk him down, she must have been encouraged when he asked for water but in the end the poor sod jumped!

Suicide = a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

RIP and condolences to his family and friends (I'm sure he had some).

My serious answer to your serious question is that from my vast experience of knowing many farangs over many years in South East Asia; the answer is a definite, NO.

I have personally witnessed the downfall of so many farangs, of all age groups, in different situations, those who had such high expectations when they decided Thailand was for them. Makes me weep thinking about what I have seen over the years.

Sorry to appear so negative, but these are the true facts and again I say, think before you leave the safety net of your own countries. Over here, if you fall into the gutter, there is nobody to pull you out..

You don't live or die because of Thailand. Or because of anything else. You live or die because of you. Take some responsibility, please!

Clearly, there are many things you can do - if you're down on your luck, go on a meditation retreat. Nobody will tell you what you should do there but you might just find out that you knew the answer all along. It's just one of many options.

Of course the main problem that suicidal people face is that they do not see a way out, they don't see a way to continue. They don't see the options. They see no way out - even though there are infinite options. That's why they commit suicide. Helping such a person is very hard. Professionals usually try to get them to talk, to reconnect mentally with the world they are trying to leave, reminding them of their loved ones - everyone has a mother, a father, family, friends. It doesn't always work though, even for professionals.

So yes I don't want to make light of suicide, but blaming it on any outside factor is misunderstanding the problem.

• Like 1

In situations like this back home it's often the case that a police chaplain or some other person trained in counseling is called on to try to reason with such a person. With the multitude of missionaries here, perhaps there's a place for their assistance.

Let me be clear here that I'm not at all suggesting that they at any time mention God or Jesus or use such similar references in their negotiating. I'm just putting forward the idea that a qualified person in their organization(s) would see that a real service could be provided.

It's certainly a good idea. Whether that person would get there in time is of course unknown but having a contact would be great.

In the USA, they have special trained people who come and talk to the jumpers. It's a very interesting profession, for sure. A friend of mine once interviewed a few of these guys in San Francisco. Many people trying to jump from the bridge every month.

It's certainly a good idea. Whether that person would get there in time is of course unknown but having a contact would be great.

In the USA, they have special trained people who come and talk to the jumpers. It's a very interesting profession, for sure. A friend of mine once interviewed a few of these guys in San Francisco. Many people trying to jump from the bridge every month.

I worked for many years in San Fran bay area, as a social worker/therapist... specializing in Mental Health and Substance Abuse. Being a social worker or a missionary does not automatically make a person qualified to handle situations like this. While it is probably better than just some person walking down the street, in reality, most cities in northern california have special crisis services teams - with clinicians who worked with the police and specialized in dealing with "street" and home situations that could possibly turn bad. Additionally, there are suicide hotlines with folks specifically trained for these cases.

I don't think Thailand is up to speed on these service models.

As serious from as I could hear that 26 year old kid was when he screamed some of his answers back to the Thai Tourist Policewoman up in the basket yesterday, it did seem to take some time before the poor guy finally jumped. He had made a few outwardly moves as in testing an actual jump in his head by a semi thrust out, but then would back off. He did listen, but what you guys are hitting on may actually be true from my recalling the play by play, going through the situation in my head. He was listening but it wasn't enough, and that basket was for sure full of 4 people, 1 recue, 1 fireman, 1 real Thai normal policeman and 1 Thai tourist policewoman. Not so inviting fot the poor guy.

Maybe if he did actualy see a foreigner smiling, caring, trained, and speaking the right stuff he needed to hear, it would have ended differently. Over all, I did not see one white tourist policeman there, but then there could have been and I missed it. Now this would be a good thing for a smart foreign tourist police volunteer to get educated in. Not all of them could do it, because some of them are kind of hoaky, but one that comes off as not an idiot, is true genuine, and that everyone seems to like and could really do the job well. They would probably need to take off that uniform first before confronting someone as well.

Uncletom

If this tragic man would have been smoking or holding a bottle of beer, the media would have censored the whole scene.

Was once told, it is easy to live in Thailand, but also just as easy to die here. Sometimes foreigners find themselves alone, destitute and out of their depth in Thailand. Quite a few fall in love with the wrong type of girls, run out of money, and for many reasons are unable to stay in the country with nowhere else to go.

I think living in Thailand should carry a public heath warning for foreigners that come here ill prepared, on a hope and a prayer or seeking love with someone that may screw them for every penny.

Play it wrong the first time and the dream can easily turn into a nightmare. Just think about it, that's all.

That's what I'm wondering if happened. My girlfriend said that the Tv said that he had no one before he jumped. I think there is a lot of people who come here as a last option and when then that goes wrong..

A serious question. Is there anywhere Falang can go to get help, when all their bridges are burned and their last option has gone wrong?

My serious answer to your serious question is that from my vast experience of knowing many farangs over many years in South East Asia; the answer is a definite, NO.

I have personally witnessed the downfall of so many farangs, of all age groups, in different situations, those who had such high expectations when they decided Thailand was for them. Makes me weep thinking about what I have seen over the years.

Sorry to appear so negative, but these are the true facts and again I say, think before you leave the safety net of your own countries. Over here, if you fall into the gutter, there is nobody to pull you out..

That is so true.

As serious from as I could hear that 26 year old kid was when he screamed some of his answers back to the Thai Tourist Policewoman up in the basket yesterday, it did seem to take some time before the poor guy finally jumped. He had made a few outwardly moves as in testing an actual jump in his head by a semi thrust out, but then would back off. He did listen, but what you guys are hitting on may actually be true from my recalling the play by play, going through the situation in my head. He was listening but it wasn't enough, and that basket was for sure full of 4 people, 1 recue, 1 fireman, 1 real Thai normal policeman and 1 Thai tourist policewoman. Not so inviting fot the poor guy.

Maybe if he did actualy see a foreigner smiling, caring, trained, and speaking the right stuff he needed to hear, it would have ended differently. Over all, I did not see one white tourist policeman there, but then there could have been and I missed it. Now this would be a good thing for a smart foreign tourist police volunteer to get educated in. Not all of them could do it, because some of them are kind of hoaky, but one that comes off as not an idiot, is true genuine, and that everyone seems to like and could really do the job well. They would probably need to take off that uniform first before confronting someone as well.

Uncletom

[i really feel sad for the young man and his family and I somehow wonder if it would have made a difference had there been a trained falang there for him to speak with. With 32 years in law enforcement and now retired I had thought about offering my services to the Tourist police when I arrived here last year. But there has been so many bad postings about them and their volunteers I did not want to be part of all that and never volunteered. I'm also not into walking all over in a uniform anymore, I had my fill of dealing with drunks and those days are gone for good for me.

However, I was a Hostage negotiator and have worked many critical incidents involving people wishing to harm themselves. With that in mind I would consider responding to such incidents on a call out bases if the Thai police thought I could be of any assistance. I do not want to make a blind call without knowing who is in charge. If anyone knows the name of an official who would be in charge and his/her contact information PM me and I offer my services. ]

There is an organisation of volunteers in the UK called the Samaritans who man locally based 24/7 phone lines to try to aid those who are considering suicide. The volunteers have to undergo a personal evaluation and extensive training and I've known some people who have given time to this very worthy cause. Hugely stressful for the helper too.

There is a shrink at Dr. Panu Clinic, located right off Thapae Rd., near the 7-11. The treat all sorts of mental health issues. Consultation is free, meds are very reasonable.

I was standing outside of the Warfield Theatre in SF back in 1990. A homeless man jumped in front of a very large CalTrans Dump Truck. I saw the brains on the street. Some things you can't forget.

In some cases medication can heIp/is appropriate, however, in many cases psychotherapy is what is needed. There is a thread here on Counseling, Psychotherapy, and psychological resources in Chiang Mai.

Im so sorry that this man felt that there was no other path for him to take.

Rest in peace.