Changing Work With Current Work Permit?

When your employment ends your work permit needs to be canceled and if you are on an extension of stay based on employment your permission to stay from immigration will also need to be canceled and you have to leave Thailand the same day or apply for a 7 day extension.

When you have found a new job you can apply for a new work permit and extension of stay, provided the job/company qualify for that.

It's a fairly straight forward process to add a new company and/or work place in the same area to a work permit; but there are a number of serious issues that make it impractical for most.

• You will need current papers from both companies in the work permit to do anything with immigration.
  • There are issues with the tax department and national insurance, as it is assumed you have two incomes.
  • Also In my area the labour department has no mechanism to remove the original job from a work permit at a later stage, so cancellation and re-application is then the only option.

To summarise - it is only practical if you actually have two different jobs in the same area.

Only consider this method if you will be doing two different jobs for two different companies on an on going basis.

Edited by digitalchromakey

What I was planning was, look for another work while I was on current company's wp.

When I get an offer from another company, I should inform the current company to quit and get a new wp.

Do I need to leave Thailand to do this? Because once it's cancelled, I need to leave Thailand like right away right...?

What I was planning was, look for another work while I was on current company's wp.

When I get an offer from another company, I should inform the current company to quit and get a new wp.

Do I need to leave Thailand to do this? Because once it's cancelled, I need to leave Thailand like right away right...?

Depends - no problem you can do this if you are in Thailand with your Work Permit based a non immigrant B visa and you are currently leaving/entering Thailand every 90 days.

If you have an Extension of Permission to Stay from Thai immigration, which is based on employment, then this is canceled as soon as you terminate that employment and you would indeed then need to leave Thailand immediately to get a new visa.

It is however possible to cross from one extension of permission to stay based on employment to another without leaving Thailand, provided you get your paperwork right from both companies and time it perfectly.