Renting A Motorbike In Chiang Mai?

jsflynn603

I've read in the forum that renting a motorbike/scooter in Bangkok is like jumping into a tank of Piranha.

I'd like to rent a motorbike/scooter or more preferably a motorcycle 150-275cc for a few months, if that's possible. Are they rented in Chiang mai?

Would it be better to buy a used one and attempt to resell it before I leave?

Can short term insurance be purchased (for the pedestrians and police officers and elephants that I'll accidentally hit)?

Does one carry a length of hardened chain to secure it at every stop, or must I have lodging with inside parking? (and the chain)

Do I need a motorcycle license, or international driver's license.

It'd be great to have mobility and not have to rely on the various forms of public transportation.

Any suggestions, advice, or thoughts will be appreciated.

ขอบคุณครับ

Hire a 100-125cc m/c (scooter) like everyone else, about 150-200bht a day or 3000bht a month.

Nobody bothers much with insurance but the compulsory insurance (purchased when taxing mc) covers 15kbht in hospital fees.

Nobody steals stuff like that in CM (I've never heard of anyone having a m/c stolen), you leave your helmet sitting on the mirror, shopping hanging off the handlebars.

I've never had anything taken.

You should have a valid driving licence in English or Thai, but nobody is going to check.

(Just for your safety and everyone elses)

Hi, I see you need wheels, I have lived the last 6 months in Chiang Mai and I have rented a motor ci all of the time. The first input I will make is in regards to the claim of security in the prior reply - my landlord is an ex AFP officer and involved in the Tourist Police in Chiang Mai - the incidence of theft is very high, the last theft I saw was last week in Soi 1 Rachadamnroen - central city, only100 mtrs from my residence. I had an attempt made on my bike in the car park of the Duangtawan Hotel, even though it is under guard, thgere are other posts on the web site which detail the numbers of bike thefts - be scared ! As to where to rent, they are all rapacious, if you want to rent for some time - I had the best long term rates - with near new bikes from POP Rental, they have about 5 branches, the best deals are to be had at their biggest branch between Tha Phae gate and Loy Krauw road, where the tourist girlie bars start, the Boss of POP is usually there and he is the only one who can and will crunch hard to get a deal. Good Luck & Enjoy - Chiang Mai is a great place

Hire a 100-125cc m/c (scooter) like everyone else, about 150-200bht a day or 3000bht a month.

Nobody bothers much with insurance but the compulsory insurance (purchased when taxing mc) covers 15kbht in hospital fees.

Nobody steals stuff like that in CM (I've never heard of anyone having a m/c stolen), you leave your helmet sitting on the mirror, shopping hanging off the handlebars.

I've never had anything taken.

You should have a valid driving licence in English or Thai, but nobody is going to check.

(Just for your safety and everyone elses)

Hi

I would also add that my cleaning lady recently had her bike stolen as did 2 of my friends. I have also had a helmet lifted off the handlebars of my own bike.

Riding a bike around CM is very convenient but make sure you park in secure areas and don't leave any valuables inside.

If you are looking to buy there is a decent market on Sundays at Ruam Chok right next to Rimping supermarket. If you want to rent there is a decent shop right before you turn into the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel on the left hand side.

Cheers

Agree with the post above about bikes getting stolen, I know of at least 5 people who this has happened to in the last 12 months. I know people who have even had their helmets stolen because they were good quality lids (not usually a problem from rental outlets though)

Along with the suggestion of POP you might also want to consider Tony's Big Bikes her in chiang mai.

You can PM me if you want more details as sometimes the Mods on here get a little touchy about people discussing non-sponsering businesses.

Also, you can look up Pikey who is a TV member and also Co-Owner of Tony's as well and he will be able to advise you on all aspects from bikes & prices to Insurance & security.

Good luck !

Renting a (small--125-170cc) bike in Chiang Mai -- great idea -- have done it on several occasions when visiting. Navigating around such a small city I find surprisingly difficult -- maybe its just me.:unsure: Next visit (November) -- I shall have a GPS.

A couple of hire places have requested I leave my passport with them -- which of course I was not willing to do.

I have never had any security problems with either bike or helmet when riding or parked -- but it is secured at my accommodation at night -- so I guess that avoids the major risk.

"covers 15kbht in hospital fees." :cheesy: -- Hiring a bike may be a great idea --- but riding one ......:blink:... although it certainly is fun.

With this current thread in mind, here., you might also want to think about your travel insurance, and that it will be valid. Most UK policies have clauses that insist on a full UK bike licence, that you don't exceed 150cc and wear a crash helmet. S**t happens, read the link.

Edited by roamer

I have a friend that rents...I don't get it. Cheaper to buy. If there is a problem such as theft, you won't get raped by the rental company. If you buy reasonably well, and sell cheap, you won't have a problem getting a good portion of your money back. The market that another poster was talking about for motorcycles....been there and personally, I don't trust Thais when it comes to second hand merchandise. Not racist, just a feeling based on experience. There are a lot of motorcycles there with unbelievably low mileage and price to go with it....if something seems unbelievable, it usually is. I wouldn't buy there. Buy new or from a foreigner is your best bet , but not foolproof. Do your research. You can usually find something worth having on Thai Visa Classifieds, and if you price right, there are bargain hunters around.

Drivers Licences. Have been stopped and unable to produce any sort of ID before. No problem, just write your name on the ticket....was my experience. DL from home country, international DP, or Thai DL all work, non are necessary, until you get in an accident. Best bet if you don't have a Thai DL, is get an IDP, get insurance, then you at least have the right to be on the road.

As far as theft goes, my experience is same as earlier poster, all though I am not as trusting. I lock my helmets, and depending on which bike I am riding, I will lock the rear wheel as well.

Helmets,....if the police are stopping people that day, fine is 200 baht. They will take something from you. DL, ID, passport as security to pay fine at the police station. You have one week to pay and during that time, if you get pulled over for the same infraction (helmet) you just produce your ticket and you're good to go. It's like a fee to be able to ride without a helmet.....legally. But have to have your ticket with you. Typically the police are out between 10-3. Not usually on Sundays. And not usually...period. You can't set your watch by them nor your calendar, but if you pay attention, they are pretty predictable. Usually, they will not set up in the sun. Having said that, yesterday I got it....in the blistering sun.

Have fun in Chiang Mai, great place esp. if you got wheels. When will you be here? I have a cbr 150 that I may part with for a fair price....I am bored of it.

Word of warning to all. NEVER hand over a passport to Police. They also have no right to hold it and they know it. Anyone stupid enough to hand it over leaves themselves open to extortion and you would deserve it. Scan your passport and your drivers license. Never give hard copy to them and tell them any story you like - they do accept it. I keep colour scans of both on one page and have multiples under the seat of my Fino.

As to security, it they want you bike they will take it. Mostly they will take late market or new. Putting a padlock through a drilled disc brake is a deterrent but not to three guys with a pick up who simply lift it in and grind off the padlock at leisure later. You need a lengthy case hardened chain and secure the bike through the rear wheel AND frame to an immoveable object. Otherwise it is a crap shoot your bike will be there on your return.

There are motorbike auctions weekly all over Thailand - one in Bangkok is at Soi Sahakarnpramoon near the Laos Embassy on Saturdays, gives you around 1,000 to chose from and start at Baht 5,000 in running condition. You will not find anything of decent CC capacity - only standard street commuters. All have guaranteed title. You can also sell your bike there.

I have been renting motorcycles all this year in Chiang Mai and the prices I now pay: automatic Yamaha Mio 135 - about B2600 per month, Honda Wave (fuel injected, disk brake, manual) B1900. Older and less interesting bikes might be a bit cheaper. I tend to avoid the snazzier bikes with only one shock absorber. I also check the tyres each time I take a bike out, because the rental places don't really care about the condition of the tyres - but they will change them if you point it out.

Rental prices were more expensive initially, but now they know that I bring the bike back in one piece, they're happy to give a reasonable deal. So maybe start for short periods at first, and see if you can lower the price each time you go back. I have considered going for a 3 month rental to get the price down - not sure, though, how good I'd feel if I had to leave the country at short notice.

When I've extended a rental, the daily rate is about the same (maybe a bit more) than it is on the monthly rental - around B65 per day for the Honda Wave I currently have.

My rental company photocopies the pages in my passport and lets me keep the passport - that works for me.

I have been stopped by the police several times but never (so far!) been asked to show a licence. I always wear a full face helmet which I bought for about B700 (not a Shoei, then). Different places will vary wildly in what they want for the same helmet so shop around. I bought mine at a shop on the northern side of the moat, outside the moat, definitely NOT inside.

Basically, if you come off a bike you want some protection for your head. A survey of the disabled that was done in Phrao found that more than 80% of motorcycle injuries could have been avoided if the person had been wearing a helmet.

As for security, I use the padlock provided by the rental company and put it through the disk brake. True, 3 guys can pick the bike up and put it in a pickup. That's always a risk. I park it where it's safe (some of the temples have valet parking ...), where I can keep an eye on it, or I park it at home behind a locked gate. So far, touch wood, no-one's stolen it.

As for rent versus buy - if I come back here next year, definitely I'll buy. It's the only way I can get comprehensive insurance. I will also attempt to get a motorcycle licence here - that avoids trouble with the police. It won't help with my travel insurance, which will only cover me if I have an Australian motorcycle licence, or if I'm pillion on a bike where the rider is a Thai holding a Thai motorcycle licence.

Edited by dundas

• 3 weeks later...

I have been renting motorcycles all this year in Chiang Mai and the prices I now pay: automatic Yamaha Mio 135 - about B2600 per month, Honda Wave (fuel injected, disk brake, manual) B1900. Older and less interesting bikes might be a bit cheaper. I tend to avoid the snazzier bikes with only one shock absorber. I also check the tyres each time I take a bike out, because the rental places don't really care about the condition of the tyres - but they will change them if you point it out.

Rental prices were more expensive initially, but now they know that I bring the bike back in one piece, they're happy to give a reasonable deal. So maybe start for short periods at first, and see if you can lower the price each time you go back. I have considered going for a 3 month rental to get the price down - not sure, though, how good I'd feel if I had to leave the country at short notice.

When I've extended a rental, the daily rate is about the same (maybe a bit more) than it is on the monthly rental - around B65 per day for the Honda Wave I currently have.

My rental company photocopies the pages in my passport and lets me keep the passport - that works for me.

I have been stopped by the police several times but never (so far!) been asked to show a licence. I always wear a full face helmet which I bought for about B700 (not a Shoei, then). Different places will vary wildly in what they want for the same helmet so shop around. I bought mine at a shop on the northern side of the moat, outside the moat, definitely NOT inside.

Basically, if you come off a bike you want some protection for your head. A survey of the disabled that was done in Phrao found that more than 80% of motorcycle injuries could have been avoided if the person had been wearing a helmet.

As for security, I use the padlock provided by the rental company and put it through the disk brake. True, 3 guys can pick the bike up and put it in a pickup. That's always a risk. I park it where it's safe (some of the temples have valet parking ...), where I can keep an eye on it, or I park it at home behind a locked gate. So far, touch wood, no-one's stolen it.

As for rent versus buy - if I come back here next year, definitely I'll buy. It's the only way I can get comprehensive insurance. I will also attempt to get a motorcycle licence here - that avoids trouble with the police. It won't help with my travel insurance, which will only cover me if I have an Australian motorcycle licence, or if I'm pillion on a bike where the rider is a Thai holding a Thai motorcycle licence.

Can you tell me where you rent your Yamaha Mio 135 from? (And, name of owner or whoever gives you your monthly rate)?

Thanks

• 11 months later...

I just arrived in Chiang Mai and I'm struggling to find a good deal on a long-term motorbike rental. Just need a normal 125cc, honda wave or equivalent. Everywhere Ive gone has said only 3000 - 3500 baht / month. I was hoping to find something around 2000 - 2500 baht. I can agree to a 6 month deal, but hasnt budged them at all. I'll even learn how to use a manual if necessary.

I'll check out POP and Tony's Big Bikes tomorrow, but anybody have any other suggestions? If anybody out there has a good deal, how much are you paying monthly and where?

Thanks in advance...