Biker Paralysed In Crash Now Stranded In Thai

Boater

A BRIT has been left blind and paralysed after his motorbike was hit by two lorries and a car.

Tom Moss, 25, had to be revived by paramedics after "dying" in Thailand.

He can hardly speak, has had reconstructive surgery on his shattered face and can't move from the neck down.

The Chelsea fan, from Tooting, South London, did not have travel insurance - and his family face a ฃ32,000 bill to fly him home from Bangkok.

Tom was working as a salesman in Thailand when the crash happened on a night out in northern city Chiang Mai.

His mum Gina Alloway, 53, said: "He was following his dream. It's so upsetting to see what's happened to him."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3121345/Biker-paralysed-in-crash-now-stranded-in-Thai-hospital.html

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its good to see your expert detective skills have come into play again I doubt he had a work permit???? based on what wondering what job is in thailand, op says sales

come on sherlock put that thinking hat on and stop embarrassing yourself

Well, do you know if he had a work permit? And what was his sales job? There are not too many legal sales jobs that are open to telemarketers from the UK. I don't think he was a sales professional for manufacturing equipment or medical devices.

• Like 1

its good to see your expert detective skills have come into play again I doubt he had a work permit???? based on what wondering what job is in thailand, op says sales

Well, do you know if he had a work permit? And what was his sales job? There are not too many legal sales jobs that are open to telemarketers from the UK. I don't think he was a sales professional for manufacturing equipment or medical devices.

Which one seems more likely:

a) 25 year old person who works in insurance/gas/electricity/phone line telesales and decided against travel insurance, comes to party in Thailand and does a bit of work as an English teacher now and then, without a work permit, to keep the party money up. Got drunk and had a motorbike accident.

B) 25 year old who was too dumb to buy travel insurance, but was smart enough to be able to get a long-term visa whilst in the Thailand, then sufficiently well-connected so as to be able to get a work permit for a sales job where he either sold products to Thai businesses or spent his days calling UK numbers on Skype.

I really don't think Geriatrickid is the one embarrassing themselves.

• Like 1

speculation speculation, well I speculate you are some social incompetant unable to speak to girls in your own country and came to this one to buy love.

Where exactly is your evidence of no work permit, what was sales job? why do you have a low view of this person you have never met,

I speculate that your views on unfortunate people are some reverse psychology thing you go for in which your life is based on such bad judgements, poor choices and low self esteem that you consider and judge all others on the same 'world view ' with which you judge your self

• Like 2

a) 25 year old person who works in insurance/gas/electricity/phone line telesales and decided against travel insurance, comes to party in Thailand and does a bit of work as an English teacher now and then, without a work permit, to keep the party money up. Got drunk and had a motorbike accident.

B) 25 year old who was too dumb to buy travel insurance, but was smart enough to be able to get a long-term visa whilst in the Thailand, then sufficiently well-connected so as to be able to get a work permit for a sales job where he either sold products to Thai businesses or spent his days calling UK numbers on Skype.

same comment as above, I think if this yourng person has arrived recently they may have been unable to purchase insurance for Thailand with current state of affairs crisis . If this young person is anything like most 17 - 25 year olds they are not thinking about insurance just fun, perhaps this person takes the same risks you take in a different way, you pay for sex not knowing what you may catch, he went travelling without insurance

I hope the poor kid recovers

• Like 1

speculation speculation, well I speculate you are some social incompetant unable to speak to girls in your own country and came to this one to buy love.

Where exactly is your evidence of no work permit, what was sales job? why do you have a low view of this person you have never met,

I speculate that your views on unfortunate people are some reverse psychology thing you go for in which your life is based on such bad judgements, poor choices and low self esteem that you consider and judge all others on the same 'world view ' with which you judge your self

So on the balance of probability, a 25 year old from a low skill sales job "travelling" in Thailand is going to have a work permit and a sales gig so successful he only occasionally needs to work to stay afloat? Is that your experience of 25 year old men in Thailand? Let me tell you, it's not mine. It's not unreasonable to assume he didn't have a work permit, which in itself was just an incidental comment - the real issue here is the lack of travel insurance.

ame comment as above, I think if this yourng person has arrived recently they may have been unable to purchase insurance for Thailand with current state of affairs crisis . If this young person is anything like most 17 - 25 year olds they are not thinking about insurance just fun, perhaps this person takes the same risks you take in a different way, you pay for sex not knowing what you may catch, he went travelling without insurance

EDIT - Hold on, I pay for sex? So on the one hand you berate a poster for assuming the victim in the news story had no work permit, mockingly calling him Sherlock, then with absolutely zero supporting evidence you suggest I pay for sex?

I think I remember why I almost never post on here.

Edited by Matan

Very sad, but I'm with Geriatrickid. I wonder what it was that attracted the 25 year old to Thailand? I guess he was just following his dreams.

• Like 1

Very sad, but I'm with Geriatrickid. I wonder what it was that attracted the 25 year old to Thailand? I guess he was just following his dreams.

S'funny that, I wonder what it is that brings all these single >middle aged men to Thailand, who knows, perhaps the water ?

• Like 1

Apparently he is 27, not that it makes a difference. His mum is the one left with the burden of caring for him. Paralysed and nearly blind. Not a fate any of us would wish on even our worst enemies.

Cuba now requires visitors to purchase medical insurance before entering the country. If the visitor cannot show evidence of coverage, the visitor is told to go buy the coverage from the state health care agency kiosk. This is probably the most intelligent thing Cuba has ever done.

FIRST: For entry into the country, all travelers, foreigners and Cuban overseas residents are required to possess a travel insurance policy, covering medical expenses, issued by an insurance entity recognized in Cuba. At points of entry into the country, the sale of these policies will be ensured by Cuban insurance entities.

SECOND: During their stay in the country, foreigners with temporary residence in Cuba are required to have a medical insurance policy issued by a Cuban or foreign insurance entity recognized in Cuba.

THIRD: Diplomatic personnel and representatives of international organizations accredited in Cuba shall be excluded from application of the previous regulation.

Thailand should consider a similar regulation. Even if it was for a small limit of 100,000 baht and only for catastrophic injury, it would be a good move. Win win for everyone. Those that need the coverage most would be obliged to take it. Those that already have coverage would be exempt.

• Like 2

So on the balance of probability, a 25 year old from a low skill sales job "travelling" in Thailand is going to have a work permit and a sales gig so successful he only occasionally needs to work to stay afloat? Is that your experience of 25 year old men in Thailand? Let me tell you, it's not mine. It's not unreasonable to assume he didn't have a work permit, which in itself was just an incidental comment - the real issue here is the lack of travel insurance.

ame comment as above, I think if this yourng person has arrived recently they may have been unable to purchase insurance for Thailand with current state of affairs crisis . If this young person is anything like most 17 - 25 year olds they are not thinking about insurance just fun, perhaps this person takes the same risks you take in a different way, you pay for sex not knowing what you may catch, he went travelling without insurance

EDIT - Hold on, I pay for sex? So on the one hand you berate a poster for assuming the victim in the news story had no work permit, mockingly calling him Sherlock, then with absolutely zero supporting evidence you suggest I pay for sex?

I think I remember why I almost never post on here.

um see post above speculation, the same logical path you take to no work permit I shall take the same steps to produce unsupported speculative views on both you and geriatric kid? what is the problem here, I can use the same logical steps as yourself and reach similar unsubstantiated conclusions

Everyone keeps talking about travel insurance, most travel insurance will only cover for trips of 90 days, so he may well have had insurance which expired.

I like the idea of mandatory insurance at the airport, I might propose this to the government as there would be shitloads of money in it I reckon.

8>< NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Very sad...I guess he was just following his dreams.

A rude awakening for those of us living in our dreams, I suppose.

? Dreams / Nightmares ? Seems to be the difference of a few inches, on a motorbike

SC

Actually is not not true that many insurance company's or policies do not include coverage of motorcycles whilst in Thailand. I seem to remember that the last time I went for insurance with Bupa this was not included.

seem a bit confused by this statement................:ermm: ........slightly contradicting............

Actually is not not true that many insurance company's or policies do not include coverage of motorcycles whilst in Thailand. I seem to remember that the last time I went for insurance with Bupa this was not included.

seem a bit confused by this statement................:ermm: ........slightly contradicting............

How so?

Many policies for general health insurance do not include coverage for motorcycle accidents. This is my experience. Probably because the likelihood of an accident is very high. Are you following me?

How so?

Many policies for general health insurance do not include coverage for motorcycle accidents. This is my experience. Probably because the likelihood of an accident is very high. Are you following me?

well first you say its not true many policies do not include coverage ,then you give an example of a company that does not,

your first line should read actually its true

sorry for nit picking , but cmon get with it: :D

Edited by taninthai

How so?

well first you say its not true many policies do not include coverage ,then you give an example of a company that does not,

your first line should read actually its true

sorry for nit picking , but cmon get with it:D

Ah, I see now. I missed the word 'it': 'is it not true....'

You got me there. It's a fair cop guv'. I done wrong. Sorry.

Instead of the usual hearsay, rumour and contrite responses, maybe some of you should go and take a look at some of the comments posted on the original article, he was a well liked guy.

Whether he had insurance or not is besides the point, he is in a mess in a foreign country, far from home. Yes, insurance may or may not have helped him, but have a bit of compassion. From some of the posters here, the fact that he is a single bloke doing a bit of part time work with or without a work permit seems to justify his predicament.

Some of you stupid old farts should think how you would feel if this was you son!

Self righteous &lt;deleted&gt;!

Let's see who is at fault with the accident, do you think the drivers of the other vehicles bare any responsibility? Where is their insurance? Will their insurance cover this guy to get back home? I doubt it.

They also say he HAD insurance but it had lapsed due to his longer than planned stay....ever forget to pay a bill? No I doubt it, you lot are all so perfect.

Edited by Willeyeam