Plai, Zingiber Cassumunar Rxob

I am wondering if any of the forum members has experience with this native species of ginger. I have put the details down below. I am informed the essential oil whole sale buying price in the Uk is 195 UKL per litre???? The massage balm is equal if not beteer than things like tiger balm.. Any thoughts or interest on this subject. I did meet a chinese lady in Kanchanburi who says she buys the older roots of this plant for around 250 baht per kilo for her chinese pharmacy

Brgds Mark

Plai, Zingiber cassumunar Roxb., which is synonymous with Zingiber purpureum Roscoe, has long been regarded by Thai massage therapists as one of those oils necessary to have in their kit to combat joint and muscle problems. Plai is of the same family as ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) but has different properties and more intense actions.

Native to Thailand, Indonesia and India, the pale amber oil is steam distilled from the fresh rhizome. It has a cool, green peppery aroma (not unlike Tea Tree) with a touch of bite. The main active chemical constituents of the oil are sabinene (27-34%), g-terpinene (6-8%), a-terpinene (4-5%), terpinen-4-ol (30-35%), and (E)-1-(3,4-dimethoxyphenyl)butadiene (DMPBD) (12-19%).

Considered analgesic, anti-neuralgic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, anti-viral, carminative, digestive, diuretic, febrifugal, laxative, rubefacient, stimulant, tonic and vermifuge, it has been used for aches and pains, asthma, catarrh, chronic colds, colic, constipation, diarrhoea, fevers, flatulence, heartburn, immune problems, inflammation, influenza, joint problems, muscle spasms, nausea, respiratory problems, sprains and strains, torn muscles and ligaments.

Proof for Plai.

The essential oil exhibited a topical antiinflammatory effect when tested. Individual assessment of the topical antiinflammatory activity of the 5 major components of the oil demonstrated that DMPBD, terpinen-4-ol and a-terpinene significantly inhibited oedema formation, whereas sabinene and g-terpinene were inactive. The most active compound, DMPBD, was twice as potent as the reference drug Diclofenac [Pongprayoon, U. et al. Topical antiinflammatory activity of the major lipophilic constituents of the rhizome of Zingiber cassumunar. Part I: The essential oil. Phytomedicine (1997)

• 2 weeks later...