Nong Khai - Need Housing For 1-2 Months

FarangGirlinKorat

hi there. i'm an american woman living in korat with my thai husband...

my husband is potentially going to nong khai for 1-2 months to do some sculpture for a temple there (he's an artist) and i will likely go with him at least part of the time.

anyone have a room to rent? or know of clean but cheap apartments for rent? we would only need it for 1-2 months (looks like oct-nov) while he does the sculpture. we are VERY quiet and respectful of other people's space and privacy.

i would really LOVE to find a place with internet available.. because i certainly can't be away from thaivisa / facebook for a month, right? ;) and aircards just aren't very fast in my experience..

any help / leads would be appreciated. thanks so much.

melyianna

What would you like to pay for a furnished appartment ? The so called CONDO condominium close to the river and the Chayaphum market has several furnished rooms to let. The hotel next to it has cheap rooms for a month or two. A few guesthouses offer a cheap monthly rate. I guess in a commercial building you pay about 4 tot 5 k baht per month. Cheaper will be hard to find. Internetcafe's are in town.

What would you like to pay for a furnished appartment ? The so called CONDO condominium close to the river and the Chayaphum market has several furnished rooms to let. The hotel next to it has cheap rooms for a month or two. A few guesthouses offer a cheap monthly rate. I guess in a commercial building you pay about 4 tot 5 k baht per month. Cheaper will be hard to find. Internetcafe's are in town.

thanks so much for your help. i would really like to keep it under about 3,000 baht a month if possible. we rent a large house with a decent sized yard here in korat for just 4,500 baht a month, so 4-5,000 seems pretty expensive for an apartment or room. maybe the cost of living is different there in nong khai?

unfortunately i can't use an internet cafe as i need to run programs directly from my laptop... and i need to run some programs 24/7... so going to an internet cafe would be far too expensive. that's the main necessity.. internet.. i don't care if the room we rent doesn't have a bed. i need decent internet.

thanks again for the info. maybe i'll send my husband up by himself for the majority of the time and i'll stay here and just visit him for a week or two. he can probably just stay at the temple (for free) while he's working on the sculpture.

Try this.

http://www.thailand-travel-help.com/khiang-khong-guest-house.html

wifi in the central room and in some of the rooms. Tel nr and email on the website. Centre of town, close to the river. Quiet as far as I know. So try and call them.

And visit the website of mutmee Nongkhai and call Julian. May be they have internet too.

An appartment with wifi will be hard to find for a few weeks.

Good luck.

So, even a good guesthouse can do for a few weeks IF there is an internet connection. I will ask tomorrow. Did you try to find the website of mutmee guesthouse ? I will try now.

yes, guesthouse with internet would be fine. :) i just found the website for mutmee. thanks :) this may work.

Try this.

http://www.thailand-...uest-house.html

wifi in the central room and in some of the rooms. Tel nr and email on the website. Centre of town, close to the river. Quiet as far as I know. So try and call them.

And visit the website of mutmee Nongkhai and call Julian. May be they have internet too.

Good luck.

oooh cute place. kind of expensive but really cute. thanks so much for your help!

Try this.

Good luck.

oooh cute place. kind of expensive but really cute. thanks so much for your help!

there are more then just mutmee as guest houses... btw, u will need a fall weight jacket there at some point; i left a bag of jackets in some swedish run volunteer teacher's office there about 5 yrs ago :)) ...

to bad i dont have adresses of guys that i visited there, a really nice group that worked here for years and i was at their village... for a fee they would have put u all up and some there had internet already... trying to remember village name... will have to look in past files; they were close by pickup/motocy to nongkhai city...chances are slim but i will look, ask around also (maybe someone here in our group is from nongkhai area)...

btw, who is animal sitting all the beasties if u are there? ...

bina

Try this.

Good luck.

there are more then just mutmee as guest houses... btw, u will need a fall weight jacket there at some point; i left a bag of jackets in some swedish run volunteer teacher's office there about 5 yrs ago :)) ...

to bad i dont have adresses of guys that i visited there, a really nice group that worked here for years and i was at their village... for a fee they would have put u all up and some there had internet already... trying to remember village name... will have to look in past files; they were close by pickup/motocy to nongkhai city...chances are slim but i will look, ask around also (maybe someone here in our group is from nongkhai area)...

bina

thanks bina. :)

hopefully nu's dad will come pet sit for us. but nothing is certain until nu goes up to the temple after the end of pansa. he's not even sure right now what amphur the temple is in. so i'm not actually sure if it's even in amphur muang. but even if it's not... i think *I* would like to stay in the city. :) and as long as it's not too far.. he can just drive to the temple every day.

anyhow.. internet (that's not an aircard) and western bathroom are musts. everything else we can likely work around. :D

Try this.

Good luck.

bina

hopefully nu's dad will come pet sit for us. but nothing is certain until nu goes up to the temple after the end of pansa. he's not even sure right now what amphur the temple is in. so i'm not actually sure if it's even in amphur muang. but even if it's not... i think *I* would like to stay in the city. :) and as long as it's not too far.. he can just drive to the temple every day.

anyhow.. internet (that's not an aircard) and western bathroom are musts. everything else we can likely work around. :D

will try to find addresses of the guys that were in the muubaans near to mueng... however, i cannot ask anon because one of the guys is now like in harry potter 'he that shall not be named' as i was a 'mia noi' for a very long time for one guy that is now back there... also have a girlfriend from there but she is in bangkok now and phone numbers for thais change so often ... will try though... she's wonderful and speaks english also i think (spoke fairly good hebrew back then...)... will facebook u the info if i find it... which wat is it in nongkhai?

bina

will try to find addresses of the guys that were in the muubaans near to mueng... however, i cannot ask anon because one of the guys is now like in harry potter 'he that shall not be named' as i was a 'mia noi' for a very long time for one guy that is now back there... also have a girlfriend from there but she is in bangkok now and phone numbers for thais change so often ... will try though... she's wonderful and speaks english also i think (spoke fairly good hebrew back then...)... will facebook u the info if i find it... which wat is it in nongkhai?

he doesn't even know the name of the temple. one of his friends who is a monk in amphur nong bun maak (where we used to live... in korat province. before moving here to dan kwian) set him up with this job and we don't know many details. just "wait until after pansa and then go to the temple." any contacts would be much appreciated. :) thanks bina

A Swedish run volunteer thing. That could be something like "teach to learn" or "learn to teach". These people have an international website; the leading lady here indeed is Swedish. They have an office in NK close to town. You pay, they arrange a visa, and you can teach at schools. If I can help just ask me. I live close to town.

A Swedish run volunteer thing. That could be something like "teach to learn" or "learn to teach". These people have an international website; the leading lady here indeed is Swedish. They have an office in NK close to town. You pay, they arrange a visa, and you can teach at schools. If I can help just ask me. I live close to town.

yep sounds like the place i went through those many years ago.. then it was some guy and his wife... i seemed to be actually a program to make money as i later learned the money didnt actually get to the homes that i stayed in the homestay part... but oh well... good experience... never got a visa either :00 boy was i naive then...

trying to find the number maybe for N. my woman friend...

The Swedish lady you are talking about is Kirsten...www.travel-to-teach.org

She is a frequent diner at Carsten's and Toom's...Thasadej Bar

As part of the program, you will get free lodgings but I dont think they would accomodate your husband unless he was part of the program. Worth a try though.

Guemlum

yep sounds like the place i went through those many years ago.. then it was some guy and his wife... i seemed to be actually a program to make money as i later learned the money didnt actually get to the homes that i stayed in the homestay part... but oh well... good experience... never got a visa either :00 boy was i naive then...

The Swedish lady you are talking about is Kirsten...www.travel-to-teach.org

She is a frequent diner at Carsten's and Toom's...Thasadej Bar

As part of the program, you will get free lodgings but I dont think they would accomodate your husband unless he was part of the program. Worth a try though.

Guemlum

well, i don't need a visa and i don't want to teach and sounds like this program is a scam anyhow, right? so i think i'll be better off staying away from scam artists. thanks though.